Vegan-friendly
Take-out
Asian
Gluten-free
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian restaurant. No onion or garlic used. Reported to use dairy August 2021. NOTE Apr 2023: No longer vegetarian, reported to offer meat. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Venue map for The Leaf
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by Vegan119

medinabello

Points +32

25 Jan 2024

No longer vegan

Updated review with new owners it is no longer vegan and serves meat. The food standards have dropped and it is just like a regular mixed restaurant.

Updated from previous review on 2022-12-30

Pros: Excellent service

Cons: Food

2020

Points +35

17 Apr 2023

Not vegetarian any more

The Leaf is now offering "real meat" dishes on the menu.

karolina217

Points +101

08 Mar 2023

Try the garlic naan!!

I have eaten here a few times and always been very impressed. The service can be a bit slow, but it’s worth the wait!

Bagel

Points +395

03 Sep 2022

Delicious vegan and veg food with so many options!

The menu is huuuuge, service was great and food delicious!

Pros: A variety of options

JohnDobson612

Points +30

11 Jun 2022

Love the Leaf!

Such beautiful food! We've been many times now, both takeaway and dine in. We've yet to have a dish that wasn't great!

Lovely people and food!

Pros: All vegan and vegetarian menu, Food is amazing!!

JamiePitcher

Points +94

29 Jan 2022

Best Indian I have ever had

Seriously the best food I've ever had! Such variety on the menu and amazing flavours.

Pros: All vegan, Delicous, Reasonably priced

twrx

Points +17

12 May 2021

Fully Vegan!

If you are vegan and love Indian food but still dream of Butter Chicken then this is just the place to visit! Over 100 vegan options including mock chicken, lamb, fish, prawn it has to be tried and the prices are very reasonable.

Pros: Great food, great prices.

Cons: Decor - but who cares....

UrVeggieMate

Points +1028

19 Apr 2021

You won't wanna leaf!

4.5/5 in my mind but half-ratings not allowed.

Went here for dinner last night with a non-veg friend. We ordered the dahi gol gappe as an appetizer, the chick'n methi malai and palak kofta as mains, rice and garlic naan on the side, and we each ordered our own lassi.

It came up to be $32 each, which we thought was pretty good considering it covered the cost of an appetizer, two mains, sides, and drinks.

Food was delicious. Especially the chick'n methi malai! The only thing I didn't really like was the salted lassi. I was expecting there to be an aftertaste of salt, but still mostly a yoghurt flavour. However, there was a quite pronounced salt flavour that eclipsed the yoghurt flavour in my opinion. Though I feel like this is just a case of me finding out that I didn't enjoy something I thought I would.

There was one server who in my opinion came across as a bit rude in her tone of voice when asking whether we still wanted the water jug on our table or not. Apart from this one incident, the customer service was great otherwise.

Updated from previous review on 2021-04-11

Pros: Large and varied menu - lots of options!, Works out to be cheaper if you share dishes

Cons: Expensive if ordering one dish for yourself, Customer service hiccup - was otherwise good

Veg1975

Points +171

25 Feb 2021

Lots of authentic Indian flavour

It's the second time I've been here. By train from Perth CBD, Leederville is just a few minutes ride. Then it's a short walk to The Leaf. On both occasions I started with the onion bhaji. Four slightly oily but crispy outer balls with a light tasty onion centre. Served with a sweet chutney dip. A great starter. The first main meal was the mango "fish". Served in a sweet, smooth and spicy mango sauce. Those with a sweet palate will not be disappointed. On the second occasion my main meal was the "fish" masala. This is a very tasty aromatic fish dish with plenty of flavour. Those looking for tasty filling food this is the place to come.

Pros: A very big and varied menu.

Cons: Expensive (maybe) depends on your budget, Appetizer, main meal and rice, about $35

PreeDas

Points +84

26 Dec 2020

Amazing Indian vegan food

So many delicious dishes!! My favourite is the ‘chicken’ vindaloo and the dahi gole gappe.
10/10 would recommend. Their garlic naan is also to die for! I’m so glad that they have become fully vegan. No animals need to suffer and it’s so much better for the environment and health too!
You must try them out!

TeeMan

Points +13

29 Nov 2020

Best Indian of my life

Restaurant was a little off the main drag of Leederville in a place so cosy you'd easily miss it if you're not looking out. To have a menu front to back of vegan options is a real treat and my wife and I had an exceptionally good meal - couldn't recall a better time having Indian. Absolutely will come back to explore the massive menue

Pros: Dozens of vegan options, including mock meats, Great location, Good service

NatB

Points +422

25 Nov 2020

The Leaf has stepped up their game

If you haven’t been for a while, I would recommend trying it again. They have a huge menu, all vegan. Definitely spoiled for choice!

The only weird thing is that they had the food network playing on their big screen TV. Watching animal flesh being cooked in a fully vegan restaurant... that was a first!

Pros: Fully vegan, Cheap alcohol choices & BYO, Very affordable

Cons: Ambience is lacking

Nando

Points +65

30 Aug 2020

Not what I expected

We took the couple’s deal of $69. Includes 2 appetiser, 3 mains, naan, rice and a beer.
Samosas were cooked in old oil. Pretty dark samosas.
Quantity was good for 2! For mains we decided to go for a mushroom curry, chick’n curry and tofu curry.
Even when they changed of colour they tasted pretty much all the same and they were TOO SWEET. Extremely SWEET. My GF likes sweet and sour food but those Currys were too sweets even for her. No spice at all.
Hope they can improve their recipes. But I’m a vegan that I want to eat well. And if I choose a curry I want a curry not a kind of dessert.

Pros: Smiling staff, Cheap , Fully vegan

Cons: Food extremely sweet. , Extensive menu but taste the same.

BryanWoltjen

Points +330

25 Jul 2020

Casual, but with elegance.

Such a great hidden gem tucked away behind the main drag of Leederville.
THE FOOD IS AMAZING AND IT IS SO CHEAP. Years of overpriced Indian restaurant dining outfits have conditioned me to equate Australian-Indian food as pricy and for fancy ceremonial dining. This place hits an casual but still elegant vibe, without the pricetag.

The decor is a little tacky. There's some strange snowy splatter on the wall which I think is an attempt at distressed open brickwork. This definitely does not come off well. The music playing on my visit is some garish commercial station and there's a ersatz TV whose sound is also audible. But I'm willing to overlook these and hope they may yet repair them.

Otherwise their bar seems super cool and well stocked. Will definitely return.

Pros: All vegan!!, Great and cheap food. , Well stocked bar.

Cons: Loud commercial music.

Laurenveronica7

26 Jul 2020

cat_aus

Points +321

23 Jul 2020

My Favourite !

The Leaf has my favourite food in Perth! Full vegan menu with a mix of vegetable dishes and fake meat options.

We always order the Aloo Palak (spinach sauce with potatoes), "lamb" Korma, and "Butter" Koftas, with Garlic Naan, rice, and Onion Bhajis . Consistently great food and good value for money.

My non vegan family and friends really enjoy it too.

Pros: Amazing food, All vegan, Good location

Cons: Harsh lighting, Needs better music

ClareBoyd

Points +42

24 Jun 2020

Tasty vegan Indian

The Leaf is a great Indian place with a big variety of vegetable-, soya protein- and tofu-based dishes. Everything's usually excellent, but the koftes can be a bit hit and miss!
Great to have vegan options for the things most places don't bother taking the butter or cream out of - daal, garlic naan, palak sauces..

Pros: Vegan, Easy online ordering for pickup

Cons: $$$$

brebre

Points +83

21 Apr 2020

Yummy Indian!

Really yummy quick Indian food.

Pros: Lots of options, Quick fast delivery, Super yummy

Cons: Little bit oily, $$

dee_dee

Points +292

10 Mar 2020

Delicious curries

Being part Indian I’m always on the look out for a good vegan curry.. but these are all vegan! So great. It’s been a while since I went but I really enjoyed it.

RogerNeilson

Points +59

Herbivore
03 Mar 2020

Brilliant place, lovely people

Spoilt for choice so varied a menu. Food was all great, portions substantial. My wife had Prawn Korma - not on the menu but cooked for her. The ‘prawns’ were very tasty - I pinched a couple!

Pros: Amazing menu choices, High quality food, Very reasonable price

MLE37

Points +306

06 Feb 2020

A night out I always look forward to

So many delishous dishes to choose from. The hardest decision is whether to try something new or go with what I know.

Pros: Lots of options , Byo wine

Cons: Can get noisy if there's large groups upstairs, Glasses aren't always clean, Dish garnishes aren't fresh

chchchchia

Points +51

29 Jan 2020

Great potential, so-so experience

Their menu is huge, so ymmv by item, but I ordered a mushroom dish and the mushrooms felt like they had been sauteed for like 30 seconds tops. I'd recommend sticking with curries where they probably make a giant tub of sauce and boil it for awhile (the soya curry I had was pretty good and seemed fully cooked).

TraceyClarke

Points +27

08 Jan 2020

The best vegan Indian food EVER!!

Amazing food, we take non vegans there and they love it too!!

Pros: Everything is vegan , Food tastes amazing & you don't feel heavy after, Great value! Great parking

BearBear

Points +139

20 Oct 2019

Wow!

I took my carnivore aunt there on a recent trip to Perth and we were both blown away by the food (Roganjosh & Korma). I have not had curry this nice for as long as I can remember. I also got some takeaway a few nights later and my carnivore cousins were constantly helping themselves (despite them having their own meals), also commenting on how good it was. I wish this restaurant was in Sydney - I would certainly be a regular!

Pros: Amazing food, Good price, Fully vegan

Cons: Service a little slow, On-line menu does not show all choices available

stuartmunto

Points +48

17 Sep 2019

Easy 5 stars

Always an amazing experience here! Food is incredible and all vegan. All curries only $10 Monday to Wednesday!

Pros: 100% all vegan menu, Great value

GeorgiaR

Points +74

31 Jul 2019

Love that it’s all vegan now

Love going here. Delicious vegan Indian with “usual” flavours like butter mushrooms etc. Indian the way it should be, veggies! Favourite thing is the buffet and being able to try bits of many different flavours.

Pros: All vegan , Yummy food, Buffet option

Cons: Hard to park around leederville

simonwood566

Points +170

29 Mar 2019

Yumm!

Awesome little spot with delicious food. The couple of times I’ve been here they’ve had an all you can eat buffet with plenty of vegan options for only $20... epic!

Niknakaroo

Points +559

19 Aug 2018

Food 5 stars

The food here is incredible. A fully vegetarian menu with all items having the option to be made vegan. Generous serves and amazing flavours. Staff are friendly, but service is a little slow....hoping that changes as the restaurant finds their feet. Apart from that I’ll definitely be going back to try everything on the menu!!!