The Land of Kush

410-225-5874

840 N Eutaw St, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21201

Southern American, vegan soul food restaurant. Has vegan baked goods. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Nancy B

vegan soul food - Edit

This is my favorite vegan restaurant in Baltimore ! They have amazing vegan soul food ! The macaroni and cheese is to die for along with the greens and sweet potatoes , brought along some non vegans and they couldn't even taste the difference ! They also have raw dishes and desserts which are amazing . Haven't had anything from here that I haven't enjoyed ! Also large portions for cheap

Pros: great price , amazing food

Cons: not a lot of seating

Down Home cuisine - Edit

Owners are often in the establishment and are a nice husband and wife. All of the food is great except I haven't tried the breakfast yet. My favorites are the rib tips and the curry chicken.

Pros: cute location, clean, nice staff

Cons: a little pricey

Really delicious vegan food! - Edit

Land of Kush is perfect for delicious, quick vegan soul food. You can choose from just sides, salads or make a combination platter. The cornbread is slightly sweet and very tasty, so make sure you grab one with your meal!! They are very generous with the portions :)

Pros: Excellent food, Large Portions, Fast

Twice as nice - Edit

Land of Kush was a neat little spot perfect for a quick and affordable meal. We had all of their entrees. The sauces were delicious! We tried most of their sides as well including carrot tuna, collard greens and mac and cheese. We took a few desserts to go and sampled their homemade lemonade, iced tea and ginger beer. All were hits! If you don’t believe us ask Stevie Wonder. We went there twice when he was in Baltimore!!

Delicious - Edit

Good value for the money. I had the 3 sides platter, whole wheat Mac n cheese, candied yams and collard greens with a sweet ginger drink, it was all delicious. Nice clean little cafe, order first at the counter.

Pros: Delicious , Friendly , Clean

Great Find - Edit

I will come back to Baltimore just for this restaurant EXCELLENT. They were out of some of the entrees that I wanted to try but, I enjoyed the chicken salad and the Mac and cheese was great also . Thumbs up!!! The only reason I won't give a perfect rating is because they were out of some of the entrees that I wanted to try.

Solid, consistent, affordable - Edit

Friendly staff/counter-service. My favorite are the "crab" cakes, served Fri-Sun and the macaroni and "cheese" and the kale salad. Also have good desserts from Cameron's. Very affordable. Consistently good.

Pros: Great food, Friendly, Affordable

Land of Kush is Lost - Edit

The lowest I can give is two stars, HC? Okay, I guess the fact that I did indeed swallow one of my two bites meant this dish was edible.

It's been at least a year since I've visited LOK. The first experience, and up until today, was the last, was less than favorable. I found the food unpleasant--looking and tasting.

This visit was more of the same. I ordered a side of the Mac n cheese to go. Before I got home, I tried it. Yuck. I swallowed. I tried it again. Double yuck. I spit it out.

I then drove to Red Emma's for Mac n cheese. Much, much, better.

Why, LOC, does your Mac n cheese taste like fake butter that's been burned in a cast iron skillet, doughy flour, and old nutritional yeast?

Pros: Pros: quick service, but without a pleasant smile.

Cons: Cons: unpleasant smile, but with quick service

Okay... - Edit

Visiting Baltimore and tried LOK for a nice vegan dinner for takeout. Efficiency and service was great. I ordered drummies, mac&cheese, candied yams, collard greens, and pineapple cake for dessert. Food tasted fresh. Flavor and seasoning was just okay. I travel a lot and try many vegan spots around the country and for me this one probably was a one and done experience. You should still give it a shot as you might just love it.

Tasty Vegan Soul Food - Edit

This place is pretty satisfying if you only want vegan food. It's far away from the popular touristy places, so, that makes parking really easy!

The food is simple and to the point - a few smoothie options, some juices and a handful of desserts like pineapple upside down cake or cheesecake. They also sell some vegan popcorn. The cold display case holds the salads and sides for the day, like potato salad, live kale salad, cucumber and tomato salad, sesame spinach, pasta salad, and carrot "tuna."

If you look towards the back, you'll see them creating your food. There is seating by the window and a few tables scattered around, so it isn't just a take-out place. It has a similar vibe to other vegan soul food places - very low key, understated decor and powerful food flavors.

They offer brunch, which obviously for vegans, is very exciting! Vegan pancakes, vegan spinach lasagna and vegan crab cakes on the weekends? Ok, sounds good, if you like cooked food and can have gluten. All vegan though, pretty sweet traditional style food - veganized! Great to have something like this in B'more.

When you order here, the menu is pretty small for the number of entrees, but, I like it better, because it feels like they can manage a smaller menu and keep it up to date, with fresh ingredients and be fast to cook for you. Add on a side or two - best cooked choices, obviously the collard greens and mac and cheese! Good eating of "comfort food" that will make you forget the challenges of vegan eating when out with your non-vegan friends.

Prices are good, portions are good, staff is nice.

Pros: All vegan, Some raw choices, Mac n cheese, collard greens

Cons: No raw entree

Good takeout place - Edit

So, if you've eaten at Soul Vegetarian or any of the myriad other vegetarian soul food eateries across the U.S., you should know what to expect here. Smoked greens, mac & cheese, curry chik'n, BBQ 'ribs', etc. However, there is some variability. On weekends they serve a spinach lasagna and vegan crab cakes, and on Sunday they offer a pretty good brunch with blueberry pancakes, seitan scramble, vegan sausage, and home fries.

The main point to keep in mind is that this is mostly a takeout place. Seating is very limited and usually has been completely taken anytime I've been there to eat in. Which means I have stopped going there with the intention to eat in. My girlfriend and I went to try their brunch one day and there was one table open with a single chair. After eating most of my meal while standing, the owner finally came by and told someone to get a chair for me from downstairs. Meanwhile kids were running all over the place and it was very loud due to one large table of customers. So, yeah, get your food to go or catch them at one of the many events they cater in the area. We got catered food from them for my birthday one year and it was delicious. The food is good but rich, as expected.

Pros: good food, good value

Cons: very small dining area, service can be slow

outstanding! - Edit

Awesome flavor. Friendly service. Will definitely visit again.

I had the curry chicken (seitan) and vegan Mac and cheese. Incredible!

My friend had the BarBQue ribs (seitan) and black bean stew. Also awesome.

Can't wait to visit again.

I dream about their brunch - Edit

This place is like heaven. Just go there on a sunday and order the brunch. The portion is HUGE and everything is delicious. And it's cheap as it can be. Very nice staff.

Pros: huge portion, delicious brunch

Delicious meal & Excellent Service - Edit

The lentil burgers with gravy would make a wonderful meal alone, but the kale & potato salads were well worth the money. My only regret is eating it all in one sitting.

Pros: Food , Service , Location

Cons: Tastes Too Good

Out of this world! 100% VEGAN! - Edit

Don't be fooled by the subtitle of this restaurant, The Land of Kush is a completely vegan restaurant. Not a drop of animal product to be found there. We were visiting in Baltimore for 4 days and ate there THREE times.. That's how good it is.

I don't know how they do it, but they've managed to cram even more soul into soul food without all the nasty animal ingredients. It's a small spot, very casual, awesome music, friendly staff.. Most importantly- the food is unbelievably amazing. They offer down-home soul food-- ribs, chicken salad, greens, potato salad, chicken wings, mac and cheese, etc.. With a full juice bar. No mainstream soda, all homemade tea (the black tea is incredible!), housemade ginger lemonade, etc.. They also offer corn bread to go with your meal and carry a couple vegan desserts-- pineapple upside down cake and sweet potato cake (equally as good!).

The owner is amazing- working hard to bring the downtown Baltimore community healthy, nourishing, and affordable options. It's an inspiring breath of fresh air amongst all the grease and meat laden bodegas and fried chicken spots commonly found downtown. I admire their menu as much as there effort to help make Downtown Baltimore a healthier place. Yum!!!

Pros: 100% vegan, Delicious food, Good value

Cons: small dining area, could use more desserts, wish they served breakfast all week long

Love this place - Edit

I work next door and find that I frequent The Land of Kush far too often! 100% vegan. The raw kale is excellent (though garlicky)! Mac and cheese is also good.

Count me in for Soul Food! - Edit

I love myself some comfort food and I usually stick to cooking it myself when I crave some. However, it's always good to have it cooked and ready to go. I admit a part of me was amused to have southern comfort food in Baltimore, but it's all good.

I found myself in Baltimore for the first time and decided we needed some grub. This place was the closest one to where we were staying so it won out over the others. The place was small but cozy and the people were pretty helpful (we don't eat onion/garlic/leeks/chives) which lead to the fact that if you don't eat the aforementioned items, the fairly decent-sized menu shrunk significantly. We could only eat the Candied Yams, the Mac-N-Cheeze, the drummies, and the other "chick'n" protein (I forgot the name).

We ended up deciding on a medium portion of the Mac-N-"Cheeze" and the 3-pc drummies because the cashier said they were "fun" and I wanted to see how fun they were. I was a little sad I couldn't have any legit veggies, but that's what I get for eating out. It was FILLING. After all, it was carbs, faux cheese, and protein. My husband and I shared and we were "just right" full.

The Mac-N-Cheeze -- the pasta was good and tender, but not overcooked. The "cheeze" was also good - the perfect flavor. It would have been too much if it was just me eating it, but as it were, it was good. Especially since I had been wanting some Mac and Cheese. I was a little apprehensive because vegan cheese doesn't always taste the best, but this was pretty good!

The Drummies -- soy "meat" protein molded onto a stick in the shape of drumsticks and deep fried. Delicious! The "meat" was well-seasoned, tender and though they had bite, it wasn't tough or hard to eat. There was that awesome crispy shell as well.

I'd say this place is pretty good! I would have liked to try the yams as well, but we were full and didn't want to overdo it. Now only if they offered more items, sans onion and garlic!

Pros: helpful/friendly staff, good sized vegan menu, good food

Cons: tiny menu with no onion/garlic items

Not perfect, but a darn good vegan place - Edit

The service is not the best. The employees didn't seem to be too excited to be serving me, not really smiling or anything. Okay, I'm getting takeout, I don't mind a whole lot.

For my meal I got curry chick'un, mac n' cheese, and smoky collard greens. Liked the chick'un, loved the other too. The curry sauce needed acid and salt. The mac n' cheese was very impressively creamy and delicious and the smoke level on the collards was just right, plus it was served with juicy bell pepper strips.

For about $12 I got enough for a second meal of leftovers. I would go back, and maybe try the ribz.

I don't know if I like the health food claims. Obviously I think that vegan food is healthier in general, but you can eat vegan food and still have too many calories from fat, etc.

Pros: Vegan, Fast

Cons: Unenthusiastic service, Claims of being healthy

Return to Baltimore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Land of Kush closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.