The Juice Shack

• Other Other

North Cliff, near Tibetan market, Varkala, Kerala, India

In the Cliff strip serving juices and shakes. Has coconut milk for shakes and coffee as well porridge with coconut milk. Open Mon-Sun 7:30am-11:00pm.

First Review by Lizachristo

yummy coffee - Edit

Been to the juice shack few times for a coffee and it was yum. They have fresh coconut milk which was out of this world:)

They also have vegan options on the menu, but you have to check it beforehand.

Staff is welcoming and very friendly.
The atmosphere is chilled.

They do water refill for rs10 so no need to buy plastic bottles which harm the environment.

Pros: view, vegan options , friendly staff

nice place - Edit

nice staff, food is good, soymilk was out every of the three times I was here but there was coconutmilk instead

Love it! - Edit

Very accommodating chief for Vegan option. Soy & Coconut milk chai 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

Amazing Food, Amazing Owner, Great Juices - Edit

First of all, I would like to say that it's not fair you cannot give 5 stars to a restaurant that's not 'pure vegetarian', as Juice Shack deserves more than 5 stars.
Let me back up - I'm vegan, and while I did not go hungry while in Varkala, it was sometimes a struggle to get things right/without ghee/without cream. Not at the Juice Shack! Umesh, the owner, works with you to make anything you want vegan! I got to try some of the things I've been dying to try, but couldn't until Juice Shack because they are traditionally made with butter. No problem for Umesh - where in other places, I would get blank stares when I asked if I could have it 'vegan', at Juice Shack I got a blank stare when I said 'Oh, I wish I could have this, but it's not vegan', because, at Juice Shack, EVERYTHING can be made to customer's liking and dietary preferences.
Also, it turns out that Umesh was the owner of Elements, the highly rated vegetarian restaurant I tried to find but couldn't (it is currently closed, which is why I couldn't find it).
All that said, I only wish I had given Juice Shack a try at the start of my stay, rather than at the tailend of it. I would have honestly eaten every meal there! The menu is huge, and everything on it that I tried was amazing. Juices really are larger than elsewhere in town, and at a better price, and there are daily specials as well.
And Umesh, the owner, is an amazing human being. If I go back to Varkala (which I hope I will), part of the reason will be to visit him again, have tea with him, and spend more time in his company - he is positivity and hospitality embodied in a human!
If you are in Varkala, make sure to visit Juice Shack at least a few times! You won't be disappointed!

Pros: Great food, Great juices, Amazing staff

Cons: nothing!, (no view, but you forget that very quick

Amazing juices, food, staff and vibes - Edit

The menu is massive and has so many healthy options. They also have loads of Western favourites (porridge, pancakes etc).

You can have almost any juice you want and this place also assists with juice fasts - which go really well with ayurvedic cleanses (and there are loads of places to do that in Varkala!)

There are also loads of delicious smoothies and milkshakes which they will make with coconut milk.

The food I ate was all delicious. I went back almost every morning while in Varkala for 10 days to have a morning juice and hot water with lemon and ginger, plus sampling many food items as the ambient was so chilled my friend and I often stayed for hours well into lunchtime.

Things I tried...

Sprout salad - delicious and super healthy.
Pancake - couldn't fault it.
Falafel - ditto above.
Puttu - a traditional Keralan breakfast item. Really healthy and yummy with coconut milk!
Oatmeal - they substituted cow milk for coconut milk for me and served with my choice of fresh fruits and honey - yum!

The owner is a really cool dude who looks like maharaja! His name is Umesh. The waiters are chilled but super attentive and really nice guys.

They sometimes host live music nights too so if you're a musician go and chat to them about playing!
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 27, 2016

Pros: Loads of vegan options, Healthy and tasty food, Nice atmosphere

Return to Kerala Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Juice Shack closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.