The Joyful Vegan Cafe Caravan - Food Van

Contact 027-5222382

Otago Farmers Market, Dunedin Railway Station, Anzac Ave Dunedin, Dunedin, New Zealand, 9016

Sept 2015 back at the Otago Farmers Market on Saturdays. Sells vegan food and baked sweets. Limited outdoor seating behind caravan for 25 pax only. Sat 7:00am-12:00pm

Category: Vegan, Western, Fast food, Take-out, New Zealander

First Review by alittlericeshoot

Delicious fare - Edit

Everything these guys make is good, so try everything! Don't get sidetracked by the generous portions, just because you're full to the brim with a delicious vege burger doesn't mean you won't wish you had brought a big slice of cake home with you later on.

Pros: Delicious, Great/friendly service, At farmer'smarket (do your veg shopping)

Cons: Closes in winter, Only outdoor seating

Every farmers market should have one! - Edit

Great little vegan caravan. I had the burrito special on my first visit ($8) and asked them to wrap it up so I could save it for lunch (it was only 8am). I didn't get any of the extras but it was still amazing-slightly spicy beans, filling rice, crunchy salad and a creamy dressing. I also fell for the blue cheese ($4), creamy and tangy.
On my second visit I had the BLAT ($8) which was really tasty but so messy to eat. Nice toasted seeded bun. Peanut butter cup ($2.50) just melted in my mouth, ginger oaty slice ($2.50) also very nice.
Staff were really friendly and happy to chat, even remembered me from my first visit!

Pros: All vegan!, Lots of choice, Good service

Cons: Closes at 12pm, Runs out of some things

Excellent food - Edit

I ate at their Saturday Market caravan. The food was delicious and the portions were exceedingly generous. I am excited to go back as they had an extensive menu (I'm not used to having so many vegan options :)

They also had great desserts - I had an oreo-type cookie and a chocolate "knicker" which had caramel, nuts, chocolate and was completely amazing.

Pros: excellent food, lots of choice, dessert!

Cons: popular! (long line), limited seating, only open 2 days a week

The Joyful Vegan caravan restaurant, Otago Farmers - Edit

This is a gem; a friendly, customer focused, fully vegan eatery. The menu is regularly updated (although some favourites like vegeburgers and various wraps are standard) and there's always a great selection of healthy, tempting, well-presented food. There's a (pretty basic) eating space set up behind the caravan or food can be taken away. The baking stall that is attached sells a great range of treats, including an excellent range of wholegrain breads.

All in all, this is a cheap, cheerful and very enjoyable eating experience. The Dunedin Farmers' Market is vibrant and filled with great locally grown and produced food.

The only negative I have to report is that currently The Joyful Vegan is located between 2 butchery stalls. This seems a very odd planning decision on behalf of the market managers, and can be off-putting if you choose to eat on-site.

Pros: fully vegan, menu reflects seasons, friendly

Cons: close to butchery stalls

The dhal soup rocks! - Edit

The dhal soup is the best I've ever had. Such a great way to warm up on a chilly Dunedin Saturday morning. I am really looking forward to trying the rest of the delights on offer at the caravan. I only wish it were open EVERY day, instead of just Saturdays!

Pros: Inexpensive, delicious, all vegan

Cons: Only on saturdays

Return to Dunedin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Joyful Vegan Cafe Caravan - Food Van closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3327 times since Aug 2007.