The Hungry Herbivore

0214220347

11 Orphan Street, Western Cape, South Africa, 8001

Raw vegan organic food deli offering meals, desserts, and snacks. Confirmed open, Sep 2016. Previously on Dock Road. Open Tue-Sat 9:00am-6:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Take-out, All Raw

First Review by NatashaV

Excellent - Edit

Excellent restaurant. 100% vegan. Good menu selection. Does breakfast until 1130. Limited table space and appears to get busy on the weekend. Takes credit card.

yum! - Edit

Ordered the Chef's special Pizza with gluten free base. Just replaced the seitan for pineapple! So good! Loved it!

Cons: waitress looked at me like I was highly inconvenie

Cosy little place - Edit

Had lunch with mom and sister. We had a pizza with gluten free base and the super protein bowl. Both were good. They could do with uping their portion sizes.

This is a very tiny place with seating suitable for about 25 to 30 people.

It would be nice to see that they move towards eco packaging instead of using plastics.

Pros: 100 % Vegan

Cons: A bit pricy for the small portions

Great - Edit

This is a good vegan restaurant. I tried the kimchi burger and it was great, whoever came up with this recipe is genius, it was just tasty. Portions are not so big for the price, but the food satisfies.
The place can be a little busy, so be aware of that.

Great find while on vacation - Edit

I was in South Africa last month on vacation and was SO excited to find a plant-based friendly option. The food was so delicious and I absolutely loved the raw pizza we ordered.

Best cake ever - Edit

The food stall is very small and I nearly missed it. Besides the raw pizza it only had sweet stuff. The cakes were delicious, we had a very creamy cheese cake with salted nuts on top and a chocolate mint cake, also very creamy like cheese cake. They also offer coconut water and coconut milk ice cream which was ok, but not as good as the cake.

Pros: Great cakes

Cons: Could have a broader choice of meals

AMAZING - Edit

Oh my goodness, this is by far the most amazing raw food I have tasted, their pizza and cakes are absolutely divine! I went to Cape Town expecting to find nothing, and then stumbled across them at the Waterfront Market and fell in love. I could have their cupcake for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Great prices too.

REALLY good raw vegan food - Edit

Not being raw vegan, I was skeptical if they would be able to make very tasty food without cooking it, but it was really, really good. Highly recommended.

Pros: Healthy, Great tasting, 100% vegan

The Hungry Herbivore - Edit

Great raw vegan food. This is a take away stand inside the V&A market. Very reasonably priced! They had great raw pizza (and sell the crust separately as well to make at home) and fantastic raw desserts!

nice place - Edit

I had a try on a little something with peppermint and a nice muffin. Both of it very tasty. It's just a pity hat they do not offer a bigger variety.

Raw vegan food - Edit

They offer raw vegan pizza, cupcakes, cakes and energy balls. I ordered the pizza and ca carrot cupcake. I didn't like th mayo on the pizza, for me it was a bit too much fat but all in all it was good. The cupcake was really tasty too! Unfortunately they don't offer smoothies, juices etc but there is a stand called dr. juice right next to them

Pros: fresh raw food, reasonable prices

Cons: too much fat, no smoothies / juices, nothing for high carb vegans

Delicious fresh raw food - Edit

I have only tried the raw desserts from The Hungry Herbivore, but the raw noodle dishes looked great. I tried the raw chocolate cupcake and raw pecan pie. Both were delicious and not overly sweet like some raw desserts.

Pros: Vegan, Affordable, Healthy

Cons: Not open at night

Return to Western Cape Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Hungry Herbivore closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.