First Review by digsapony

Excellent local store - Edit

Excellent non-profit local store that sells fresh organic fruit and vegetables, sandwiches, snacks, polenta, tofu, Japanese cutlets, wholefoods and laundry liquid to name a few. Check out the website for full details. I decided to try the freekeh, which was reduced to just £2.69 and stock up on some much needed smoked tofu (£3-4) and polenta (£1.30). Not everything here is vegan and it does sell meat but nevertheless this is a great place to stock up on your essentials and try some new things too. I will definitely be back.

Pros: Good selection of vegan/vegetarian options, Excellent staff, Good prices

Cons: Sells meat

Ditch H&B and support your local business - Edit

I love hopping down here when I can to stock up on my dried pulses, grains and fruit. The selection is fruit and veg is good if you get in early enough and the freezer selection always features some new gems I've seen online and been eager to try. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the area!

Recommended - Edit

This place was recommended to me by an on-off vegetarian who is nevertheless passionate about healthy and organic food. It's very well stocked with a huge range of vegetarian and vegan foods, organic fruit and vegetables, sandwiches, cakes and drinks. They are also a Suma foods stockist. It's located on the road that runs from Sky Apple Vegetarian Cafe to Byker. If you know Heaton, you'll easily find it. I am sure to visit again. Go and find out for yourself.

Pros: Good range, friendly, good location

Great Little Place! - Edit

I love this shop. It's only a 10 minute walk away from me so it's great if I'm craving ice cream / choc etc as my corner shop doesn't have vegan versions. Also has lovely pastas, flours, etc. Can be a little pricey, but I think it's great the way they are "not for profit" and reinvest into their great community store. They have a good range of healthy preprepared veg and vegan food and also sell frozen tempeh! Just wish they would ditch the meat...

Pros: Lovely staff, Nice, quirky looking store, Great range

Cons: Sells meat, A little pricey for some suma items

Lovely little shop - Edit

I used to frequent The Honey Tree as a student living in Heaton for chocolate rice milk and Nakd bars, and still pop in when in the area to go to Sky Apple Cafe, which is further up Heaton Road.

The Honey Tree is a really lovely little shop selling a wide range of organic and health foods (no supplements) and eco-friendly cleaning products and some toiletries. Their big draw is organic veg, which is usually reasonably priced and seasonal. There's also a freezer of organic meat and ice-cream. They also sell eggs and locally-baked bread - I used to buy loads of eggs here since they were cheap.

There's a few fridges full of vegan and veggie food: a range of veggie cheeses, lots of soy and tofu meat replacers, including lots of soy items I've never seen before, and yogurts and milks. They also have a wall of dried fruit, nuts and seeds, and are great for Suma products, cereals and odd ingredients. They have a small but nice selection of chocolate, including lots of different Montezuma chocolates and some little raw chocolate bars which are yummy.

Under the counter are all sorts of baked goods (not vegan) which vary from day to day - when I went in they had some tasty-looking fruit slices, but I've been in before when they've had quiche and all sorts. Staff are friendly and the whole vibe is very laid-back.

Well worth a visit if you're eating at Sky Apple or just in the area.

Pros: Great selection of products, knowledgeable staff, reasonably priced

Cons: Small

Return to Newcastle Upon Tyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Honey Tree closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1237 times since Aug 2014.