The Hive

Contact 02073716987

240-242 Kensington High Street, Kensington, West London, England, W8 6ND

March 2014 reported change of ownership. An independent organic vegetarian restaurant and shop; previously named Luscious Organics. Offers smoothies, fresh juices, gluten-free vegan cakes baked in-house, vegetarian and vegan food. Has Wi-Fi. Previously named Down to Earth. Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-9:30pm, Sat 8:30am-9:30pm, Sun 9:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, British

First Review by lozzer

STAY AWAY - Edit

the owner was convicted a couple of years ago for claiming the restaurant offers only meat from cows grown responsibly in his own farm. well, upon inspection they found the cows were starving and some of them died for undernourishment. please let me know if the situation has been fixed because otherwise I am not visiting again!

Pros: no pros!!!

Cons: fake claims and animal cruelty

Quite Nice, But Poor Service - Edit

We'd wanted to go to DTE for a long while. We managed to visit, but unfortunately, the service was so poor, but I think it may have partly down to the waitress being on her own for a while, when it was so busy. The food was quite nice, but they'd run out of what I'd ordered, but it took a long time to tell us. We had a couple of the raw dishes, and both had a fruit muffin to go after.

Pros: Quite nice food, Nice interior

Cons: Very slow, poor service

I didn't enjoy the food - Edit

The atmosphere was great, the waiter was nice, and the food looked good but...
it really wasn't good.
The lentil soup (outrageous 7£) was basically boiled lentils with cumin, which I like but the price..
The beet burger was super sweet and the bread was so thick, I couldn't finish it... and it was served with undercooked carrots.
My gf's carrot falafels were really bad, like poorly executed carrot balls, those deserts. And it came with a cold parsnip puree.
From the reviews Im guessing they just had a bad day. But I wish I had gobe to the cheap lebanese next door.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Fast wifi

Cons: Really pricey for what they deliver, Not good food.

Absolutely wonderful! - Edit

Excellent food, great choices! Loads of juices to choose from and great selection of vegan and gluten free cakes! It also has it's own yoga studio downstairs! Very cool place to go if in London! Quite expensive but that's how it is when eating quality food and also I am a student... £26 for lunch for two.. Quite expensive for me, maybe not for others!

Pros: Beautiful Food, Good vibes

Cons: Prices

Down to earth - Edit

The setting is very pleasant and the staff is friendly. The food selection is somewhat limited for vegans. The dish was good but not exceptional, it was a bit pricey for what we got.

Pros: Organic food

Cons: A bit pricey, Not a lot of options for vegans

Very nice and good. - Edit

I went there at the end of Mai 2014, but the restaurant is actually open since october 2013.
I found a really fresh menu with a good choice of raw food, simple but savory recipes.
The restaurant is not completely vegetarian, some eggs are used and one or two choices have cheese, but vegan options are the most important in number an we loved them.

Good food, but strange downstairs area? - Edit

Food is good and filling, but as I popped downstairs to use the facilities, the chefs were spread about all over the lower bar area with food tubs left out uncovered. I think this is very unhygienic, as it is right outside the customer toilets in an open area.

Fab vegan RAW food - Edit

I stumbled across this restaurant and am so pleased I did.
I had heard of the RAW food trend but hadn't really had the time to read up on it properly and in my head I had visions of limp lettuce leaves and carrott sticks to nibble on. My experience at Down to Earth has completely changed my attitude.
I had the vegetable lasagne and couldn't believe how good it tasted without any meat and without any cooking. The flavours were incredible and so moreish. I had no idea you could make a cheese tasting paste from cashew nuts. So clever and I felt full and satisfied afterwards too. Friendly staff, great prices and a great hip interior too-a real contender for the best vegetarian cafe on the veggie scene in london I reckon. Top marks Down to Earth-well done.

Return to West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Hive closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5499 times since Oct 2012.