CLOSED: The Hideaway

+44-1617553001

218 Church Rd, Urmston, Manchester, England, M41 9DX

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small cafe on the main road through Urmston. Offers a few marked vegetarian and vegan items. There is a vegan breakfast, veggie sandwich fillings and jacket potato toppings, sometimes soups and specials labelled on the board. With notice, will offer a vegan afternoon tea with 3 kinds of sandwiches, 2 scones per person, and 3 kinds of cak, complete with vegan spread instead of butter and soya instead of dairy milk. Reported closed, Oct 2017.

Categories: Lacto, Take-out, Bakery, British, Non-veg

First Review by jennyc32

Plenty of lovely vegan options - Edit

The Hideaway is a small cafe-bar tucked away on Church Road in Flixton - an unlikely place to find such a range of choice for vegans (and vegetarians). The vegan breakfast is really excellent: home made potato cakes, falafel, beans, toast and sweet chilli tofu as well as mushrooms and, I think, the ubiquitous tomato. I've not tried the vegan afternoon tea yet but I've tried the scones, which are always available, and they're a delight. They do very nice toasted (or untoasted) sandwiches; off the top of my head the vegan options are peanut butter and jam and houmous and roasted red peppers. I'm not mad on the former (personal choice) but I love the latter. They also do pies and I had a nice houmous and roasted veg one. There is a lot of choice for vegetarians. My husband likes to have the vegetarian breakfast - I think that involves egg and halloumi as well as mushrooms, beans, toast and tomato- and he also likes the cheese pie. It's really nice to be able to go somewhere local and to know that there are genuine vegan options available. The staff are very nice and friendly too. They do a quiz on a Thursday night and they also do a LGBT get-together on a Saturday night. I think this is a nice location for it as it's more low-key and cosy than the Village. I highly recommend the Hideaway.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 30, 2015

Pros: Great choice for vegans, Home made, healthy food, Friendly staff, cosy venue

Top notch vegan options - Edit

I've eaten here a few times. The vegan breakfast is outstanding, with homemade falafels, potato cakes and sweet chilli tofu scramble being my favourite component. No advance booking needed for this.
Book in advance for the vegan afternoon tea, to give them chance to bake the cakes and get stuff in for sandwiches. You won't be disappointed with 3 types of sandwiches, scones with jam and 3 types of cake.

Lovely afternoon tea - Edit

If you give advanced warning, you can get a vegan afternoon tea here for the same price as the non-vegan variety. It's definitely worth it! The sandwich plate contains three varieties: cucumber, red pepper and hummus and salami and tomato. It was really nice to have three options, and there were plenty of them.

Next, there were two scones per person, served with spread and jam. They were amongst the best vegan scones I've had! By the end of this plate, we were already pretty full so we had to have a little break before taking on the cakes. Fortunately, it's a very relaxed little place, so there is no pressure to clear out quickly.

There were three cakes each on the cake plate: lemon (a bit dry), chocolate and date (lovely and moist), and ginger (delightfully sticky, the real highlight).

The staff were really friendly and knew a lot about veganism. There is also a vegan breakfast on the menu, and sandwich/jacket potato options too. There's a stack of board games, so it's they perfect place to wile away a few hours. Remember to call/email ahead if you want vegan afternoon tea!

Pros: Great afternoon tea, Lovely staff

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Hideaway closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.