The Herbivorous Butcher

Contact 612-859-8044

507 1st Ave NE, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 55413

A vegan butcher / deli offering "meat-free meats" like Korean ribs, bbq ribs, porterhouse, brats and sausages, and vegan cheese -- wrapped in paper to take home. Founded by a sister and brother duo and opened here Jan 2016, previously operating at local farmers markets. Open Tue-Fri 10:00am-7:00pm, Sat 10:00am-6:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out only

First Review by ahgilly136

Excellent! - Edit

I am usually not a huge fan of vegan "meats" and "cheeses" but I had to check out this place while traveling to the Twin Cities. I always have my vegan go to places when I visit here. I thought my omnivore husband might like it, so I bought the maple bacon and pepperoni slices, and also some mozzarella cheese. In addition I bought some Bee Free Honey. I LOVED the maple bacon slices! Even the pepperoni was very authentic. I didn't much care for the mozzarella cheese but the meats more than made up for that! I loved the cool way the store is designed, it was so comical! Like walking into a satyr. The meat cleaver door handles were a nice touch. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful too! Such a rarity these days as far as customer service goes. My omni husband also really liked the meats and he was in love with the architecture of the store, being a woodworker and builder himself. This is definitely a very unique and fun place to visit, totally worth the trek! If I lived in Minneapolis I would visit weekly.

Pros: High quality ingredients, Supports local food culture and business, Super friendly and knowledgeable staff

Cons: Cost of the food is not cheap

Favourite Vegan Shop Ever! - Edit

THB is one of the best vegan places I've ever been to. Their staff is friendly, their food is delicious, and their atmosphere is so lovely. Most of their "cheese" contain soy, which is a bit of an issue for me, and most of their "meat" contains gluten, which is an issue for my Mum. If you're getting anything, make sure to check the label! They also sell some fun printed American Apparel (yay! sweatshop free!) tees with their logo on it. Be sure to grab some Kühl chocolate! (sea salt is my favourite)

Pros: Great taste & texture, Friendly & helpful staff, Easy access with street parking

Cons: Allergens, Not all products are in stock at all times, Not in New Zealand :'(

So amazing! - Edit

So, I'm in town for this cardiac device conference, and before I came here, I researched what places I wanted to visit. I only have the one evening that I could definitely make it to this place, as I'm on foot and it's been raining, so prefer not to ride a bike (but good going on the bike share program, Minneapolis!).

I got out of my conference a bit later than expected, and ended up running just shy of two miles to get there. Managed to arrive about three minutes before they closed. The staff was super friendly, and let me in to order.

I got the Korean BBQ ribs, the Smokehouse ribs, and their dill Havarti. It was SO worth the run. Had the Korean ribs for dinner, probably will have the Smokehouse ribs for lunch tomorrow. Had the Havarti with some crackers and wine.

I cannot express my gratitude enough for the staff members that were on that evening (9/23), since I don't know when I'll be back this way again. Thanks for the courtesy, kindness, and friendly chatter. You two were awesome!

Pros: Friendly staff, Awesome food, CHEESE!

Cons: ...there are cons?

YASSS!!! - Edit

Perfect taste and texture. I never thought I would set foot in a deli again but this was fun! When you walk in you take a number. The case is full of deli "meats", ribs, sausage and bacon! not to mention a bunch of yummy chesses. If you're vegan you must go!!!

tasty meats - Edit

The meats are really great as are Kale and Aubry. The new permanent location is a good opportunity to get their products regularly instead of waiting for the farmer's markets. They also sell other locally made vegan products. Most of the meats are gluten based with the pulled pork made from jackfruit. Also have cheeses and butters.

Pros: all vegan goodness

Cons: parking

A no-brainer for vegans - Edit

I waited in line for 2 hours on opening day, and after trying their fare, I would have waited 10x as long. I spent the weekend gorging on my score, and was back on Tuesday when they reopened for more. The korean ribs are excellent. Very dense and sweet. You don't really need a large portion to be filled up. The havarti was amazing. Is the secret ingredient actual havarti? I don't think so, but it was wonderful on some crackers. The maple bacon and jerkey makes a great snack. Looking forward to trying some steaks. This is not your grocers' vegan meat analog. Give it a try.

Pros: Unique meat subsititutes, Great value, Non-vegans will like it too

Cons: Waiting for 'bacon' on opening day ;)

Hooray for The Herbivorous Butcher! - Edit

I have been eating their wares for years from VegFest and success couldn't have happened to better people. The foods are all terrific, cheese melts and is delicious (make grilled cheese!), jerky is approved by my hunting father, breakfast sausages make you too excited to sleep, all of it is terrific and I am so happy they have arrived for good!

Pros: Everything is delicious.

It's about time... - Edit

Take-away "Butcher shop" with wide variety of flavor choices for plant-based protein products (meat-like and cheese-like.). Mouth-feel is good for both.

Personnel have always been responsive to questions. Friendly and up-beat.

Grand opening of bricks and mortar has a line around the block!

Pros: variety, attention to taste as well as mouth-feel

Amazing vegan food!! - Edit

I have been trying Herbivorous Butcher meat- free meats for a while now and they never disappoint! I love the creativity they put into their product. The product is always easy to cook up and tastes great as a leftover. They also have an amazing staff that is always ready to help with any questions! Love everything about The Herbivorous Butcher!

Awesome products! - Edit

I'm newly vegan and am so happy to have found The Herbivorous Butcher! I'm in love with their Surly Beer Brats and Sriracha Brats. Their pepperoni is great - a little expensive - but worth it when you just gotta have a pizza! I can't wait until they open their store!!

Pros: Surly Beer Brats, Sriracha Brats, Pepperoni

Cons: Slightly expensive, but you get what you pay for!

Good thing it tastes good - Edit

I purchased the Maple Sage Breakfast Sausage. It was delicious and is very filling. The price is reasonable for the ingredients used by Herbivorous Butcher and the amount you receive, not to mention it is local!

The only con is the staff was not very friendly. It was not busy when I purchased my product and when I tried to be friendly, everyone was quiet and just talked to other staff members instead and I received a funny look when explaining how excited I was to finally try their products. I felt very uncomfortable. It might just be me, but I enjoy places with staff that are friendly; makes the experience more enjoyable and leaves a positive image to make me want to go back again. Good thing my product tasted great, but now I really do not have the urge to want to go back and try any other products they have after this experience.

Pros: Taste, Local, Ingredients

Cons: Not the friendliest staff

Return to Minneapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Herbivorous Butcher closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.