CLOSED: The Herbivores - Soho

+852-2613-2909

35 Staunton Street, Soho, Central District (at Shelley Street - the escalator), Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

Usually offers several vegan main courses, including ones with a Japanese theme. Drinks/mock-tails. Limited selection of vegan desserts - sometimes only one. 26 seats. Essential to book by phone before you visit. Kitchen closes 1 hour before the restaurant closes. REPORTED CLOSED, NOV 2016.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Japanese, Western

First Review by JohnnySensible

First place in Hong Kong - Edit

This was the first place we ate out in Hong Kong after moving here in February. We found the food was quite good but a bit pricey for the size of the dishes. I felt we spent allot and I was still hungry so went somewhere else to top up afterwards. Other than price and dish size the service, food and atmosphere was very nice. Good place to go if your not overly hungry and/ or have some money to spare

Awesome - Edit

Went here for my birthday dinner the other night. Had some amazing meals and tasty mocktails! The battered/fried mushroom steak was our favorite. Will def go back again :)

Pros: ambiance , service

high quality & delicious/ not as good 2nd time - Edit

I ate here with 6 other people last week and really enjoyed this place. It's a small restaurant with a large communal table in the center and 2-3 small tables on the side, in the trendy and expensive Soho area popular with expats and Western-educated locals.

The food is international, inventive, and delicious. Portions are small to average, and prices are predictably high for a concept restaurant in this trendy enclave.

They serve wine and cocktails as well. Reservations are a must, due to their limited seating capacity.

Updated from previous review on Monday December 02, 2013

I went back last week (September, 2014) for dinner, and my second impression wasn't as good. There were 5 of us, and we split 4 starters, 5 mains, and 2 desserts. The food ranged from good to boring, but everything was just overpriced.

Most of our starters were boring: 2 salads, and one with eggplant pieces topped with a marinated cherry tomato. What?!

The mains were OK but unmemorable, as were the desserts. Portions were not big, and it did not seem to me they tried very hard.

They have one choice of red and white wine each, which you can order by the bottle or by the glass.

Service was friendly and casual.

Updated from previous review on Sunday September 21, 2014

Okay food for a overwhelming price - Edit

A very nice waitress, an ambient atmosphere with their communal table and a variety of dishes (Italian, Japanese, Thai) - that's the part we loved. The taste was so-so, though and the prices way too high for the quality.

Pros: Down in SoHo, Ambient atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Overpriced, Taste was so-so

The Herbivores, Soho, Hong Kong - Edit

This place does excellent vegan friendly food. I had gazpacho for a starter and this lentil and mushroom main course. Both were top.

It's a modern sort of décor. The waiter was very helpful.

If yu are at a stage of your life where you are on a tight budget, don't even think about going here. Starter, main and a drink x 2 was 614 honkie bucks.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Top food

Cons: Pricey

Delicious Japanese Vegan Dishes - Edit

I adore Japanese vegan food so 'The Herbivores' has become one of my favorite eating places.

They really do 'Japanese' very well indeed - with some nice twists.

A dish made from Italian looking pasta + umeboshi plums + shredded nori is quite wonderful - I forget what they call it!

The staff are reasonably vegan conscious.

Once they forgot that a sauce contained Parmesan - luckily I spotted it from the smell.

Delicious & highly inventive mock cocktails.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Herbivores - Soho closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.