The Herb Box

( 1 review )
602-635-4965

5538 N 7th St (at The Colony), Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 85014

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upmarket eatery with a few AZ locations. Menu has a few market vegan dishes, including a lunch sweet potato avocado bowl and at dinner a vegetarian nosh-board and a cauliflower steak with lentils and pickled grapes. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 9:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering, Fusion, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by FunkydP

I've Got an Herb Box and I'm Going to Use It - Edit

Plates are pricey at The Herb Box but prepare yourself for a potentially healthy dining experience that can be smothered in comfort with cheeses, charring, and frying (oh my!). The creative menu offers plates that you rarely see at other restaurants.

The fare is pretty, colorfully enticing, and abundant in doses of vegetation. For example, Avocado Love is a shared plate of three thin slices of hearty toast under a mound of arugula mixed with a few shavings of fennel, sweet serrano glaze, and lemon-honey vinaigrette for $12.

I loved the mound of greens. The toast was sweet n' spicy but my preference would be for less sauce and more avocado.

The Sweet Potato Avocado baja bowl consists of poblano, sweet potatoes, charred onion, heap of black beans, thinly sliced caramelized plantains, kaniwa, tobasco flavoured shallots, avocado, queso fresco, and jalapeno-avocado dressing for $13.

Separately the ingredients were good, but to me they didn't harmonize very well the way a good bowl should. If your mouth and stomach are both adventurous definitely try it once.

Korean Fried Cauliflower (my fave!) comes with quinoa and crisp sweet sliced sugar snap peas for $13. The cauliflower was tasty and cooked just right and I really wished there were more florets.

Averaging $2.20 per floret I would have rather they left out the quinoa and given more cauliflower. More cauliflower! More cauliflower! More cauliflower!

Butternut Squash Corn Enchilada came with a decent-sized side kale salad with edamame, corn, pickled onion, and cheese for $15. The enchiladas can not be made vegan, (I tried to no avail) but if you like cheese it will not disappoint.

They were the skinniest pair of enchiladas I've ever seen, but the flavor really pulled through. Also they were covered in green sauce and moist to the last bite.

Sweet potato tacos with onion, cheese, micro greens, corn, avocado, and bean salsa was $15. Potato tacos? Shut up! They tasted good. Stop lying! No seriously, I never pictured myself ordering a potato taco. Even as a vegetarian, that sounds ridiculous. But I stepped outside of my box and really enjoyed them.

There were only two of average size (with no side dish) and even at that price I enjoyed them.

I should mention that these plates are from the weekend brunch menu which is served until late in the afternoon.

Pros: Can request veggie or vegan, Baked goods display, Good service

Cons: High price point, Sometimes too many ingredients, Small inside

Return to Phoenix Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Herb Box closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.