The Heights Hotel Crag Bar

+44-17687-72251

Rakefoot Ln, Castlerigg, Keswick, England, CA12 4TE

A full bar/lounge serves 100% vegetarian meals with many vegan options. Most dishes can be made vegan on request. All food is in-house-made. Licensed bar with Wi-Fi. Dogs welcome. Scenic beer garden overlooking Skiddaw. Located in a 100% vegetarian bed and breakfast. Open Mon-Sun 6:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, International, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by Braidy

Food at the Heights / Crag Bar - Edit

We absolutely love this place. We have been visiting the Crag Bar for some years now and have never been disappointed, (well only when they've run out of the crispy veg duck). It is small, but cosy and this gives it it's character. Barry, the owner is always very friendly and a very nice fella. We often have the chow mein and a few extra bits. The chow mein is fantastic! Price-wise, very reasonable and the portions huge. Give it a go!

Pros: Reasonably priced., Huge portions., A very friendly welcome.

Disappointing - Edit

The bar is very,very dated and don't think it's been decorated since the 70's which is fine in itself but it felt very like a greasy spoon café rather than a nice cosy bar.

It was freezing inside, so we didn't even take our coats off.

We ordered the vegan burger, which was supposed to be some kind of mushroom creation, but was in fact mashed potato (with possibly a little onion and 1/4 of a mushroom chopped up in there somewhere) that was shaped as a burger and fried! It was served in a bun with chips on the side...So basically our meal was potato in a bread bun served with potato!!!

There was no soap or hot water in the toilets.

The music was some kind of awful 70's instrumentals played way too loud.

Also there was only one person doing the bar and the restaurant orders and serving so we waited ages for our plate of carbs.

No wonder people think vegan food is bland and boring if this is the kind of food a veggie restaurant is serving.

Very disappointing, considering some of the amazing vegan food you can get when going out these days.

Cons: Awful music, Very cold and bland inside, Awful food

Awesome vegan burger! - Edit

I really, really enjoyed the home-made vegan burger I had there a few months ago, although I would have enjoyed a slightly bigger burger and fewer chips. It was so tasty, one of the best I've ever had. The non-vegan veggie burger option is only a Quorn burger though. My mum has also enjoyed eating there a few times, including the vegan casserole & the banana/apple fritters with vegan ice cream (I think Swedish Glace). It's really small, just a few tables (I think they have a garden area though, which I didn't go in), and a bit lacking in atmosphere, and some people go there just for drinks as it's a bar as well. So I felt a little awkward walking in and ordering, but I'm glad I did! It's a bit out of the way to get to on foot, but it's right next to two campsites and only a fairly short walk from the beautiful Castlerigg Stone Circle.

Pros: Tasty vegan food, including desserts, Friendly owners, Dog-friendly

Cons: Just 1 small bar room & not very atmospheric, Could have even more vegan options, They serve non-vegetarian alcohol

Let's do the Time Warp - Edit

This place does serve vegan food at fairly reasonable prices. Having said that, it has an intensely 70s atmosphere with a patterned carpet, "rustic" pub decor and Queen blaring on the stereo. The food I had was the sort of thing you would buy from a chip shop: the curry was a brown gloopy substance containing a lot of cumin and the sweet and sour "Chinese" dish was incredibly sugary. If all you want is basic vegan pub food this place is fine, but if you hate the 70s then stay away.

Pros: Simple food

Cons: Damp, old-fashioned

Return to Keswick Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Heights Hotel Crag Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.