First Review by veggiewoman

Bullying the customer and unethical business practices - Edit

See Google and Yelp for full review:

Part 1

By far, the worst experience I had with a store. Here is what happened:

I purchased a 30$ product (Derma E Firming Moisturizer) on February 9th, 2018. Total price came to 33.89$. Upon purchase, Nadia indicated that it can be returned if it didn't meet expectations (e.g., rash develops).
After trying the product, a rash did develop and on February 13th, 2018 at 11:30 AM my husband tried returning the product (with receipt). At first, Nedia indicated that she would return it and refund me in Cash, as I paid in Cash, but she had to go through the "envelopes", which she said she stores payments in. She reached down behind the counter and takes out a box, filled with envelopes and suggested I come back in about 15 minutes. I asked about closing time and indicated I would return around 3 PM. She said to leave the product and receipt at her store.
Around 3:30 PM I returned and another lady was there. As I entered the store, Nadia tole me to grab my product and leave as she will not provide a refund. After questioning why, Nadia indicated that she called the supplier and that because the supplier will not refund her, she will not refund me. She also said that I should call the company and negotiate a refund (see number on brown bag in picture). I replied that I'm Health Shoppe's customer, not Derma E. She indicated that it is not her problem and that she is not willing to refund me. I indicated this is not a way to do business, Health Shoppe would be losing a customer, especially after Nedia guaranteed a refund at time of purchase. She said she is "fine with this fact and can live with it". I indicated to Nedia, "you were looking for cash [envelopes] this morning and confirmed that you would return it". She aggressively and rudely replied: "I will not return your product, grab the product and leave".

These are the issues:
1. Nedia promised to return the product and provide a refund if there was an issue with the product (which there was)
2. Nedia initially committed to returning the product at 11:30 AM and said to return at a later time to collect the money (as per her advice, I left the product behind)
3. Nedia did not fulfill the commitment as per point 2 above.
4. Nedia is willing to live with the fact that she lost a customer and by extension, business. Nedia admitted to this when I asked: You do know you are losing a customer because you broke your promise. She responded, "Yes, I can live with it"

See Yelp.

Unhappycowat41charles 13 Feb 2018 - Part 2:

Continued from above...

5. Nedia was aggressive, telling me to grab my item and leave the store, further emphasizing point 4 above.
6. Nedia misdirected the customer (myself) by suggesting to call the company and get a refund, although she had already called and the company (Derma E) and they did not refund her
7. Nedia bullied the customer: I asked her: "Nedia, you do know you are having the customer [Me] bear the entire transaction in this instance, when it is your fault that you did not work it out with Derma E, right"? She replied, "Yes" and that she will not refund me “at all”.
8. Her Colleague and unethical practice: Her colleague supported Nedia with this decision. The staff should support each other make ethical decisions.

In short, Nedia was not ethical in her dealings with me. Further, her colleague did not do anything to prevent Nedia from dealing unethically. I would no recommend this shop to anyone, not because of the poor product, but specifically because of Nedia and her inability to fulfill a promise and commitment. Finally, I do not recommend this Shoppe because Nedia and her colleague simply don't care. Stay away from this store.

Nedia and colleague, I am still open to resolving this issue, should you reflect on what happened and change your mind. I am your customer, not Derma E. Sure it was a $30 product, but is $30 worth bullying me, breaking your promise, unfulfilling your commitment, acting unethically, tarnishing your reputation, and losing future potential sales and profit? Again, I'm willing to talk and come to a solution, reach out if you truly care about your customers.

All the best,

Bad experience - Edit

I had a bad experience at the Yonge Health Shoppe today. I paid for my purchase with a $20 bill and noticed that I only got change back for a 5. I said "I think I paid with a 20″. The cashier looked at me and said "No, I'm pretty sure I it was a 5." Having just come from the bank machine I was positive I only had 20′s in my wallet and so tried but failed to convince her. The cashier refused to give me the $15 I was owed explaining I would have to wait until the end of the day when they cashed out to determine whether or not I was telling the truth. I had no choice. I wrote down my name and number and left the store - after getting a refund for my purchase.

Is the 5-was-a-20 a common scam among the Health Shoppe's hippie-health-concious clientelle? It must be. I'm sure the owner/manager have calculated giving the benefit of doubt to their customers would cost them more in the long run (@ $15/scammer) than the value of the few long-time loyal customers they lose along with some negative word-of-mouth from their honest customers. I'm sure it's just good business.

2 Responses

Unhappycowat41charles 14 Feb 2018 - Honestly, Health Shoppe's unethical and dishonest practices need to stop. Your post was from 2011. See my recent post above. The Shoppe is still consistent with unethical practices and bullying honest customers that work hard for the money.

To your post, everyone that is a new customer: STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHOPPE. For your few long-time loyal customers: Think about what and who you are supporting. See the reputation from new customers. Ask around and seek what this Shoppe's reputation really it. Is this a person/store you really want to support with your money? Again, the staff did not even care to reach out and solve my problem.

Unhappycowat41charles 14 Feb 2018 - The response is incomplete above. See below for full response:

To your post, everyone that is a new customer: STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHOPPE. For your few long-time loyal customers: Think about what and who you are supporting. Reflect on the the reputation experienced by new customers. Ask around and seek what this Shoppe's reputation really is. Is this a person/store you really want to support with your money, given their scamming (as per post) and unethical practices (see my post above)? Will the Shoppe commit going forward to better practice and apologize to all those that they potentially scammed? Again, the staff did not even care to reach out and solve my problem

Health Shoppe, understand: your unethical practices resonates across time and this translates into loss of customers and loss of profit, which is essentially a business' #1 objective. Honest customers are not against you making money, what honest customers (and any customer for that matter that cares about their money) are against is Health Shoppes scamming and unethical practices/dealings. Short term gain greater than Long-term profit is your current model for new customers (which is wrong). Change the practices, genuinely care about customers and maybe you can turn around the store. It is evident that if this continues, any business will eventually and inevitably not have the resources to provide for even their current "few long-time loyal customers".

All the best,

Cheaper than Noah's, more $$ than Tutti Frutti - Edit

I stop by here sometimes b/c it's convenient, but it's hit and miss price-wise, and the vegan selection isn't so hot.

The staff can be frumpy sometimes, too.

Head to Panacea just three blocks west for all-vegan food action.

Solid health food store - Edit

I lived right by the Health Shoppe one summer and stopped in on an almost daily basis. It has the usual suspects in terms of brands, with friendly and helpful staff and good variety. Even though it is located in Yorkville, prices are no more expensive than most other health food stores. Nice grab and go selection.

Pros: decent prices, good variety

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Health Shoppe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.