The Hanoi Social Club

Contact +84-439382117

6 Hoi Vu, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe, restaurant, and bar housed in a 100 year old villa with air-condition inside. Sketches and paintings from local artists adorn the walls, and a garden bar is on the top floor. Hosts live music nights. The menu features Pan-European food with some meals being vegetarian and a few vegan. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, European, Non-veg

First Review by tattopani

Nice atmosphere, good food - Edit

Great place, i love the atmosphere and the food was amazing. The only bad thing is that they dont have enough vegan options.

Pros: Atmosphere, good food.

Cons: Not many vegan options.Pricy.

cute place - Edit

Friendly staff and nice as most of them spoke good English.
However, very poor vegan options and did not feel quite clean.

Food is expensive and not so tasty.

Pros: Hip place

Cons: not clean, expensive, food not good

Fab service, food, & atmosphere - Edit

Lots of veggie options, only a few vegan but totally worth it as the meal was delicious! Big portions, excellent friendly service, & the slushies are a must at this place. Would definitely recommend this place along with the mango curry!

all around superb - Edit

very nice food with numerous vegan options. the Hanoi social club is famous in Hanoi. breakfast and falafel especially recommended. the service is a little slow at times but can be forgiven since I was told that street kids are given a chance here. try the Vietnamese coffee black. goes down like a thick cup of delicious dark chocolate.

Great non veggy place - Edit

The food was great - we ate burgers and falafel and everything was delicious! The decoration and the garden on the 2nd floor are adorable and we really had a nice dinner there!! Totally recommend this place!

Pros: Decoration

Cons: Non vegetarian, A bit pricy

Okay place - Edit

I went in there very excited after seeing the board with tempeh sandwiches and other eye grabbing options with would appear to be vegan but quickly discovered that I couldn't have any of them because the bread wasn't vegamvega. That took away a lot of the options which seems like something they could easily change to appeal to a wider audience. That said they still had some options. I tried the lentil pasta which was quite nice having not eaten pasta im 2 months, and the mango curry which sounded great but was not really a curry as much as it was just rice and mango. I did love the vegan coconut cake and the chai tea.

Pros: really great vibe

Cons: not many options

lovely cafe, with funky interiors.. - Edit

It's a lovely cafe, with funky interiors.. one of the better ones we visited. And in spite of a lot of visibility given to the fact that they have vegan food, there was only one or 2 options on the menu. Even the breads had milk in them. A vegan specials menu had green pea soup which really was not very good. I gave them my feedback and they have promised to do something about the vegan options. Great to visit, but not as yet a great option for vegans

Pros: Ambience, Staff, Interiors

Cons: not many vegan options

nice place - Edit

Nice spot, with some good food and great drinks. The mango curry is a nice combination of textures and tastes with the sweet of mango, the crunchy peanut and coriander, and the vegan lentil pasta is perhaps their best dish. The rest of the vegan/vegetarian food is really poor, and the veggie burger was one of the worst i've had (sugary bun, patty falling to bits, no salad). The iced drinks are pretty good, but if you want vegan food you are limited here.

Pros: central location, iced drinks

Tourist Prices - Edit

Paid $15 for two coffees and two muffins. Vegan entrees run $5-6 but aren't that big. If you want to drop a lot of money on a good vegan meal, try zenith instead!

Pros: Good Coffee, Western Selection , Atmosphere

Cons: Small Servings

Lovely place - Edit

Hanoi Social Club has lovely atmosphere and decoration. It is a cafe where I would like to sit for hours. I ordered pasta with cherry tomatoes and olives but the taste was plain. It seemed to only have some oil and maybe a little bit spices in the pasta and then cherry tomatoes and olives around it. I would have been good, if the tomatoes and olives had been made to a lovely fried sauce with oil, chopped onions and garlic, salt, pepper and herbs. But no. There was not many vegan options in the menu. I would have liked to eat a burger, but it was not vegan. If I lived in Hanoi I would come here often, but not to eat if the other portions are as bland tasting. It would be amazing if they had any vegan cakes or cookies. I visited Hanoi Social Club in March 2014.

Pros: They have soy milk for coffee is you ask, Lovely decoration

fantastic place - Edit

Fantastic vibe. Check out all 3 levels of comfy seating. Great food but expensive. Many vegetarian options but vegan options for breakfast/light lunch a bit thin on the ground. Iced coffee is delicious.

Pros: great vibe, great English speakers, high quality food

Cons: expensive for Hanoi, not much vegan snacks

Creative menu but... - Edit

Preface: My friend and I rode our bicycles 1000 miles from northern Thailand to Hanoi and had been eating fried rice for two weeks previous to this. This meal was to be our reward and we fully intended to binge and splurge. Unfortunately the food fell rather flat as several of our dishes simply lacked flavor. It was disappointing for sure. We each had their soup of the week, a winter root vegetable blend which had an excellent texture by didn't possess much taste. It could have really used something else. For our entree I had the mango curry which, again, fell completely flat on taste although the portion was generous (and should be for the prices they charge). It tasted nothing like mango, let alone like much of anything. I was so bummed! My buddy had the veggie burger which came on a rather dry and unheated bun. The burger itself wasn't terribly warm either. The taste wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. His bamboo shoot fries did not agree with my pallet however he thought they were OK. For dessert we had the chocolate beetroot cake which was tasty however could have used more icing for sure. Simply put, this is an expensive restaurant for Hanoi and you don't get much bang for your buck. Our meal with drinks was 635,000d, or about $32. We would have paid the same back in the states however the food wouldn't have been bland.

On the upside, the restaurant itself has terrific character and is clearly run by progressive minded individuals which counts for a lot with me. The staff were very attentive, friendly, and spoke English well. The music ranged from excellent to awful within minutes.. they need to figure this out.. going from Devendra Banheart to Cypress Hill to awful club music to Percy Sledge. Please, please drop the crap! Stick with great, classic, mellow music that fits the mood of the building. Free wifi and a nice cat patrolling around. I'll go back for a drink or maybe espresso but not the food.

Pros: Excellent character, Great staff, At times very relaxing music

beautiful food - Edit

The food here was lovely and massive servings. We ordered a pumpkin salad and a cous cous roti wrap. It wasn't dirt cheap (compared to standard Vietnamese food prices) but it was still very reasonably priced, and worth every cent. Atmosphere is really nice, has a cool vibe and friendly staff.

Mostly Vegetarian

Contributions +12

expect to pay Aussie Prices - Edit

I liked the ambience as soon as I walked in. Chilled music, low lights. I ordered the green leafy salad with goats cheese which was Delicious and the mango curry with brown rice, equally delicious. I had a wonderful lime and mint slushie too. Wanted to have the sticky date for dessert but I was so full I couldn't fit it in! Expect to pay Australian Prices but well worth the money. The serving sizes are very generous. I highly recommend a visit.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy food, Great ambience

Cons: Expensive

Nice place with very tasty food - Edit

This restaurant is located in a classic old French Colonial building and has preserved many of the charming original features. I was especially pleased to see the original floor tiles and the uneven floor. It is a very comfortable, casual setting. I ordered the veggie burger (chickpeas, pumpkin, walnut, mango chutney and red onions on a whole wheat bun). The burger was quite large, but delicious - a great combination of ingredients. There were no sides with the burger, which was fine with me. For dessert, I ordered a chocolate beetroot cake with cardamom icing and a cappuccino. Everything was served quickly and tasted great. The meal was reasonably priced, more expensive than local food, but a bit cheaper than other expat food of similar quality. I will definitely be back.

Pros: Interesting menu, Friendly staff, Comfortable setting

Cons: Can't think of any

nice but expensive! - Edit

To give this restaurant credit, this is the first time I almost couldn't eat all I was given. The portion, though a bit on the expensive side in relation to local prices, was very large.
They have a good range of veggie and vegan options, and make an effort to mark which is which on the menu. The first time i've seen that done in a while.
I ate a burger (very very tasty) and some fries (needed a change from asian cuisine) and I had a drink... all this set me back around 200 dong. (going towards 7 pounds)
The restaurant has a nice ambience to it, with some nice seating upstairs too.
It's worth a try!!!

Pros: nice friendly staff, lots of food for your money, nice setting

Cons: bit expensive

adorable comfort food - Edit

I was quite surprised by my trip in Vietnam. I really couldn't find outstanding vegetarian food. Quite good vegetarian food, yes, but not great. So I was quite fortunate to at least have one meal in Hanoi which was superb, though not Vietnamese!
I had a quinoa and polenta, gluten free breakfast (despite it being night time!). It had pistachios, blackcurrants, dried apricots, honey, fresh cream, coconut. It was absolutely devine, even by my hometown standards in Austria. Really creamy and a good balance of sweet and savoury. My partner ordered a mango and tomato curry on brown rice, and she was also very impressed.
This cafe was quite a surprise because nowhere else in our long (6 week) trip in Vietnam did we see anything like this. The next night, they had live bluegrass music performance on, but we didn't get to see this.
Definitely recommend.

Pros: delicious food, great atmosphere, coffee+++

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Hanoi Social Club closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4904 times since Sep 2011.