The Greenside Cafe

Contact 011-6463444

34 Gleneagles Road, Greenside, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2193

Vegan cuisine featuring nut bakes, pasta ribbons, fresh juices, and more. All vegan since 2012. Next door is their store selling vegan products. Open Tue-Thu 8:00am-5:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-9:30pm, Sun 8:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Juice bar

First Review by michelc

Lovely! - Edit

The Greenside Cafe is a well-located little restaurant and shop in Joburg. With a wonderful menu and a great vibe, it's really a lovely hangout. Also be sure to check out their shop. They stock the coolest things - from eat2live vegan "meat" to raw puddings and candy. Definitely a favorite!

Pros: Meat free zone!, Great shop next to cafe, Amazing menu

Cons: Slightly pricy - but reasonable!

delicious food and the most amazing service - Edit

This place is great and so is the service! I do think they have a fair price and we could hardly finish our meals. I was super hungry and we shared a salad for starter and I had a raw wrap as a main. But it was a lot, due to deliciousness we finished everything^^ can't wait to be back for breakfast again :-) keep spreading the love and warm smiles!!! Very happy to found that restaurant:)

Pros: service!!!, food, also gluten free options , freshness

Cons: you can't get enough of their food! ;)

Try the cheesecake - Edit

My husband and I went here and were thoroughly impressed with the menu options, the quality of the food and the service. I had the BLT wrap and my husband had The Burger King with sautéed tofu. Both were amazing and well seasoned. The vegan bacon in the wrap was surprisingly convincing in both taste and texture. We finished with a slice of pomegranate cheesecake which was amazing. I find it comical that the closest thing I have had to New York Style cheesecake in South Africa is vegan. It made me want to shake one of chefs while screaming "how do you do it?"

Pros: Great food, Great service

Cons: not open past 17:00 :(

Delicious Food & Creative Menu - Edit

I loved this place. What a find in Joburg. Liked it so much, went back the next day for dinner again. The place has a clean modern design and a very helpful staff. The menu is a treat and makes it hard to decide. I have the butternut squash and avocado salad, the pesto pasta and also the lasagna. All were great. Desserts were phenomenal too. Definitely have the shooting stars. Great drink options too. There is a store next door, but it closes at 5pm so I didn't get a chance to check it out. A great spot.

Pros: Food, Ambiance

Wonderful Vegan Restaurant - Edit

This vegan restaurant has a healthy and delicious menu, but includes pizza and pasta for those who feel like something reasonably naughty. The raw food and salads are brilliant. The food is always tasty and the service is friendly. I eat here almost once a week, if not more frequently at times.

I would recommend the Mexican Pizza and the Scrambled Tofu. The raw wrap is also fabulous and the hot chocolate is thick, French style deliciousness, perfect for a cold morning.

A deli is about to be opened next door by the restaurant owners.

Pros: excellent food, consistent, nice vibe

Cons: expensive

We Love the Greenside Cafe - Edit

I love the food, it is always fresh and presented beautifully. I don't have one favourite meal, because I love them all. It is wonderful to know that the food is good and wholesome. Even my 5 year old loves going to eat there.

Pros: Vegan dishes., Healthy Food., Delicious meals.

Cons: Too far away from where we live.

Greenside Cafe - Edit

The food at the Greenside Cafe is outstanding. Beautifully presented, with friendly staff. i have only one complaint - the fact that no alcohol is served, or that patrons are unable to bring their own. I do not drink, but several of my animal eating friends do, and they will not join me for a vegan meal because they like to enjoy a glass of wine with their meal. I would like to show them that vegan meals do not constitute a lettuce leaf and a piece of tomato.

Pros: Good menu, Cosy, Hot chocolate

Cons: No alcohol

Contributions +98

Vegan pizza :) - Edit

I have visited the Greenside Cafe twice, once in 2010 and once last week. Both times I have found the food delicious and affordable, and the staff welcoming. I would recommend the pizza with vegan cheese, quinoa and soya mince pie, sweet potato side dish and the chocolate brownie... And the hot chocolate, which tastes like a bowl of melted dark chocolate, definitely not to be missed! There are refreshing juices, and an extensive menu for many more options.

Pros: Variety of menu, Vegan cheese and cream, Friendly staff

Beautiful food - Edit

On a recent 2 week visit to Johannesburg I ate here 3 times and had something different each time, I will be heading back there next time I'm in SA to sample more of the extensive menu. Great tasting food, beautifully presented and lovely staff. A real 'must visit' destination for anybody traveling to or through that area. Try the cupcakes.

Pros: Choice, Taste, Staff

Tasty and simple - Edit

I found the food at the Greenside Cafe simple and yet tasty. They serve balanced meals that are definitely a healthier option and cater to most vegetarian palates. The restaurant is a little small but comfortable nonetheless.

Pros: healthy, simple, tasty

Cons: small premises

Tasty vegan cuisine - Edit

I have eaten at The Greenside Cafe a couple of times and the food is delicious! The soups are very tasty and the menu variety is good too. THey even have vegan cupcakes, so nice to have a restaurant that exactly knows what Vegan is. I love the salads and vegan ribbons (looks like pasta, but is actually protein packed tofu sheets cut into strips) and the "shooting stars" as a desert makes your toes curl. Would recommend it to any person, irrespective of whether they are vegetarian, vegan, or not.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Tasty Food, Vegan desrts

Return to Johannesburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Greenside Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3618 times since Aug 2009.