The Green Way Cafe

• Vegetarian
Contact 0123456789

3 Snitterton Road, Matlock, England, DE4 3LZ

Veggie cafe sitting opposite Royal Bank of Scotland. Offers vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free food and cakes with emphasis on organic and fairtrade ingredients. No takeaway.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Mediterranean, Bakery, British, English

First Review by jz

Tasty and filling. - Edit

We went here twice on a recent trip to the stunning Peak District and were very happy on both occasions.

I had the snack size portion of soup and of the salad. Both were very tasty, filling and reasonably priced. I liked the fact that you got a choice of what you could have (pates, olives, etc) with the salad and that the salad itself was made with lots of different ingredients. Both come with bread rolls that are baked daily on the premises.

On the second visit I couldn't resist the chocolate cake. It was huge!

Overall, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was great. I would definitely recommend a visit if you are in the area. It did get busy on a Saturday lunchtime and some people had to wait for a table (a good sign). Also, it is cash only but there is a cash machine just across the road from the café so it's not a problem.

Pros: Tasty filling food, Reasonably priced, Friendly staff

lovely vegan vegetarian gluten free cafe! - Edit

Had lots of soya options, gluten free bread and vegan options very tasty food and all round great place for us awkward vegans! Only place around other than scarthin cafe that offers a wide range of speciality dishes for specific diets - only seats a few people at a time luckily we had an early lunch so managed to get a table before lots of people tried to get a table!

Pros: wide range of options

Cons: only seats a few groups at a time

Tasty - Edit

The food here tasted good. The space is a bit cramped, but definitely worth a try. The menu seems to change daily. There was no tofu dish available - nor any bean dish - so no vegan protein.

Various desserts but mostly cake. Could do with other options. But cake was good.

Overall worth a visit if you're in Matlock.

Green Way Cafe Matlock - Edit

We managed to find the cafe quite easily, it is the street directly opposite the bridge in Matlock, close to the train station.

The cafe and staff were very welcoming. There are two dining rooms in the cafe, both of which aren't large with a few tables available in each. There is also an outside seating area for those sunnier days.

The menu appears to change frequently as this is written up on a blackboard rather than printed in a menu. Approximately one third of the menu was suitable for Vegans. I felt there was enough choice for me and ordered a soup with an appetiser of carrot and cashew nut pate on the side. Both were delicious and the accompanying homemade chutney and bread rolls were very tasty. So much so that I was disappointed that they did not sell the chutney in jars to take home!

The owner and chef is very knowledgable about the food they serve and it is presented beautifully. My daughters salad was like a rainbow on a plate, alive with colour and some not usually added ingredients made it far from boring.

Excellent food and service, we most certainly will return.
The only criticism is it is closed Sunday and Monday and shuts at 4pm most other days.

Pros: Wonderfully fresh food, Excellent service, 1/3 menu Vegan choices

Cons: Closes at 4pm

Yummy Inventive nutritious food - Edit

I have only eaten here twice, BUT in both those times, the food I ordered was very tasty, nutritious, well presented, inventive and plenty on the plate! It came quickly, was very reasonably priced.. and also service came with a friendly smile and information when I asked about the type of bread and cakes available. Extremely happy to recommend to anyone looking for vegan/vegetarian food. I am not either... but recognise the health benefits of eating this was occasionally.
Very well set up for children also... as they have a seperate room with colouring books and pencils... reading books and i think some toys (not sure) Obviously a non smoking establishment... and outdoor seating area too for the summer.
Set back a way up a side road.. which you can see straight facing you when you walk over the matlock bridge... The Green Way Cafe is on a sharp narrow corner... You could miss it.. but look for the Florists.. and follow same side round..
Happy eating folks!

Pros: Excellent Menu choices, Geared up for kiddies, outdoor seating available

Cons: Easily missed if not familiar with area

Excellent cafe - Edit

We have been here many times on various visits to the area and are never disappointed. High quality food with wonderful service. Vegetarians, vegans and gluten intolerant diners are a catered for. The serving sizes are generous, and it's a lovely overall atmosphere. Delicous soup and bread! Kids options too. Only 1 thing would make it better, a proper coffee!!

Pros: Excellent food, Outstanding service , Well priced

Cons: No proper coffee

Love it! - Edit

I eat here approx once a month, every meal has been lovely. The staff are very friendly and genuine. All food is cooked fresh so sometimes you do have to wait a while but well worth it. Great for children my little girls loves going, there is a play room and she enjoys the food too.

Pros: Great food, Child friendly , Relaxed atmosphere

Thumbs up from a couple of visitors to the area - Edit

Lovely soup - not particularly cheap at £4, but it came in a big bowl and with plenty of warm bread rolls. We each bought the soup and cold drink, and got an unexpected free un-ordered treat - a small pot of hummus with a few sticks of vegetables and some crisps to dip into it - the hummus was amongst the best I've ever tasted. We went in again later in the day and had a main course, some cake and some hot drinks, and once more they didn't let us down, and once more, we got the free pot of hummus and dipping veg/crisps. We are both vegan, and the main course and cake choices were a bit limited, but we had no complaints about the food we had. Blackboard menu clearly indicates dishes that are vegan and gluten free.

Pros: Tasty reasonably priced food, Pleasant and helpful staff, emphasis on organic + fair trade

Cons: Slightly limited choice if you're vegan

Return to Matlock Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Green Way Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1842 times since Jul 2008.