CLOSED: The Green Room Cafe

Contact +351-917002717

Rua do Cais do Sodre 16, Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal, 1200-450

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu is around 90% vegetarian with a few non-veg dishes. Offers weekly changing menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Location is in the Cais do Sodre district of downtown Lisbon, close to the river and a short walk from the metro and train station. English spoken. JAN 2016 REPORTED SHUT CONFIRMED BY FB MSSG. Open Mon-Tue 12:00pm-11:00pm, Wed 12:00pm-12:00am, Thu 12:00am-1:00am, Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:00am, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Portuguese, Non-veg

First Review by jamesdeburca

So many options for vegans! - Edit

I was really impressed with the options, and also the quality of the food. I had the mexican one, which was dressed with beetroot and avocado guacamole... it was really good! I had home cooked chips (chunky fries) with mine, and my partner had crispy fried sweet potato. You can also get craft beer here, which is great. I think this was my favourite meal in Lisbon, and I went to quite a few veggie restaurants. This isn't isn't fully veggie, but the veggie they do isn't short of flavour, and it's certainly not an afterthought on the menu!

Pros: Most food is veggie, with many vegan options.

Cons: Meat is also sold here, although only a few dishes

Cool and Hip - Edit

Really liked this place, it's casual and non-pretentious with a cool vibe and atmosphere. On the first visit in September 2013 we had vegan pizza which was served with delicious chunky potato chips and a basic salad for €7.50 plus a couple of bottles of coke for €2 each. OK, it wasn't the best food I've ever had but I can imagine some of the other offerings being tastier and more rewarding. To be honest, we needed a quick feed after travelling all day and wanting to get to the Irish bar next door to see The mighty Arsenal beat Spurs so the whole experience was unfortunately rushed. The outdoor seating is fabulous and the location close to the harbour area is quite impressive. On a second visit in 2014 the lunch consisting of a deliciously sumptious lasagne and home made bread with humus was absolutely divine. Washed down with a pint of Sagres and a glass of wine, it was the perfect solution to the afternoon's hunger pangs. A third visit in September 2015 allows me to happily confirm that the evening atmosphere here is a pleasure to be part of. Whist indeed there are many 100% vegetarian places in Lisbon that also need to be checked out as a priority, the Green Room presents itself as a seriously veg friendly place which makes me certain to come back. I'm giving 4 cows based on the vibe, location and decent craic.

Pros: location, atmosphere, friendly

Cons: serves some meat options

Normal - Edit

Fomos pelo brunch e porque nos apetecia uma refeição mais em conta. Erro. Começando pelo espaço, acho que o mesmo é interessante e que está muito bem aproveitado. Decoração simplista e nada de exagero, mas gosto dos pequenos detalhes.
Em termos de menu, não havia grandes dúvidas e decidimos ir para os brunches. Os pratos demoraram pouco mais de 10 minutos a vir para a mesa e vieram cheios de sabor. O sabor estava lá, e nisso não critico. Achei as doses pequenas para o preço apenas, aliás, quando se pensa em brunch pensa-se sempre numa coisa bem servida. Este não é. De resto, acho os preços das bebidas um exagero sobretudo o sumo de laranja natural (demasiado aguado) por 3 €. No final da história ficou uma refeição por 21,50€. Há melhor perto e em termos de custo-benefício atendendo à qualidade do espaço, atendimento e sobretudo da comida, fiquei desiludida.

Outra coisa que não gostei foi o facto de a porta ter estado sempre aberta. O espaço já de si não é o mais confortável de todos. Os bancos são em madeira e nada confortáveis, e o espaço é frio e com a porta aberta a corrente de ar notava-se. Estavam apenas duas pessoas dentro e eu estive sempre de casaco e o empregado nem fechou a porta.

Conclusão: se já experimentaram todos os brunches e falta este, vale a pena ir pela experiência. Contudo, ir só pelo brunch não aconselho. Há melhor tendo em conta a quantidade e a qualidade.

Pros: localização

Cons: Preço, Qualidade, Espaço

Such potential... Such a let down... - Edit

The place itself is really cool and the menu choices are good too. Unfortunately the food was really bad. I had falafel burger and it was like slop and my chips weren't cooked through. I ate the bread with some oil and vinegar. My boyfriend had the beef burger. It was still pink in the middle. Such a shame. I had high hopes for this place.

Pros: Cool place, Good location

Cons: Very poor quality food, Not good value for money

Disappointment - Edit

I visited the Green Room Cafe with some friends and after reading the mostly positive reviews, we were pretty disappointed. The vegetarian Lasagne was out and the vegan Burger was among the least tasty any of us has ever had. The waitress was really nice though.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: bland food, not many vegan main courses

MatthewMcGurn 08 Apr 2015 - Thank you for submitting your review, Apologies that our food wasnt up to your expectations, The vegan burger is our best seller and we recieve many compliments from its taste. Can you confirm that its the vegan bean burger that wasnt up to scratch? I will do my best to make sure that this doesnt happen again!

5/5 - Edit

Vegetarian burguer plus a drink gets you around 10 euros which is super cheap for the quality of the food. Waiters and cooks are really welcoming and the restaurant's interior is cool. You won't regret bringing someone special here. Cheers!

(unfortunatly I cant give more than 4/5 buts its a definitive 5/5)

I thought it was better... - Edit

A bit hide and difficult to find... not so much vegan options: I tried a cake and it was too heavy. I wanted a smoothie because I've read here they had it but in the end they didn't have it. There are better places...

Healthy goodness sorted out my hangover! - Edit

Arrived here with a monster hangover after my first night in lovely Lisbon, to be properly sorted out by their summer salad - huge portion of mixed fruit, veg and beans to replace my lost vitamins! I think when we were there about 2 of the 12 choices on the menu were not veggie, these are really clearly marked, and they have a leaf mark next to items that have no animal produce in sight - I think about a third of the items.

Pros: Interesting range of choices on the menu, Really good food, Close to the waterfront

Very good place to be - Edit

We went to this restaurant (café) at the end of May, around 14:00 on a Thursday. The place was empty except for one other couple, so plenty of space for us. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly here. The menu is on a big blackboard just as you enter, with some extra specialities on a board outside. I am gluten intolerant, but they had gluten free bread for me! I ordered the bean burger, and they told me it contained some breadcrumbs - was this ok? Very good that they asked me! As I can handle a bit of gluten (small portions) I told them it was alright. The burger consisted mainly of rice, and had a lovely avocado "dressing". It was really nice and filled me up. I would definately recommend it. My husband is non-veg and he was satisfied with his non-veg option as well. All in all, we would have gone back if we had the time - good place to be!

Pros: Know about veg*anism, Several options for vegans, Knew about gluten intolerance

Good Stuff! - Edit

Everytime i eat here im delighted with a festival of colour (on the plate) and variety of rich tastes.
there is always something new to try and the price is pretty decent.
good Music and the people are really cool and helpfull...
keeps me coming back.
and Yes! the mixed fresh fruit juices...always want to ask them to make pitchers of it!

Great place! Delicious salad and vegetarian burger - Edit

After searching around online, we just walked 15 minutes to get there, WORTH IT. Nice folks and they were working on a Sunday!

Pros: Good food, quality ingredients, Good price

Cons: Not as close to where we are, Out of Vegan cake!

Great place, great food - Edit

I spent a week in Lisbon recently en been to the Green Room twice. It's a great place with delicious vegetarian and egan food. Dinner is very affordable (e8,50 for three different tapas). I liked the atmosphere a lot.
If I go back to Lisbon, I will absolutely go back to the Green Room as well.

Pros: Food, Price, Atmosphere

Cons: non

Great for Herbivores and Carnivores - Edit

I've been here a few times now over the past months and it's a great place with really nice food. It's quite easy to find good veggie/vegan food in Lisbon but finding somewhere to eat out with friends who want to eat meat is pretty tough. But the green room has definitely solved this issue. Majority veggie food but with a number of meat options. All the food so far has been wonderful! It's a really nice atmosphere too and on Wednesday evenings they host the couchsurfing meetings if you're looking to meet locals and other travellers (long and short term). Tapas is 3 dishes for 8.50 and main courses are around 9.50. House wine is 2 euros a glass. Also they've just started doing Roast Dinner on Sundays :)

Pros: Everything

Cons: A bit expensive, but worth it

The best dinner I had in Lisboa - Edit

In Lisbao I stayed for one week. In this week I ate almost every day at another place. The last day I was at the green room and I must say that this dinner was the best I had in this week. I had a vegan salad with grilled vegetables, my husband had a vegan curry which also was incredibly delicious!

We enjoyed the green room a lot and wished we had discovered it some days before to eat there at least a second time.

The restaurant itself is also really, nice especially the restroom. The staff was also really kind.

Excellent, but could use more vegan offerings. - Edit

We arrived here at 11:45 am on a Monday and were pleasantly surprised to find out they were already open and we didn't have to wait around 15 minutes. They were out of vegan pizza (that is if you skip the goat cheese), and the vegan offerings were basically green salad, cous cous salad, or a platter with hummus, tapanade and guacamole (skip the goat cheese) with bread and a bit of salad. I opted for the green salad, which turned out to be large enough for a meal: fresh field greens, a homemade olive oil and lemon vinaigrette, with beets, potatoes, tomatoes (I had these left off) apples and strawberries. My salad was simple, but very tasty with everything fresh, perfectly cooked potatoes and excellent flavor balance. The menu says all salad comes with bread, but they forgot and I had to ask for it. The homemade whole grain bread could not have been better!

My friend ordered the hummus, tapanade and guacamole platter and said everything on his plate was excellent and could not have been better. His hummus was so delicious, I helped myself to half of it, and spread it on my bread. Heavenly!

The guy running this place is from Scotland, so English speakers will have no problems here. The staff was quite friendly and helpful.

I would like to have seen more vegan offerings, but the vegan offerings we had were excellent. They also have a vegan cake topped with strawberries, but I was too full to order it.

They sell bottled water here, but do not provide it free.

P.S. No visit to this place is complete without checking out the bathroom floor. I won't spoil the surprise, but the bathroom is a must visit!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly, helpful staff

Cons: Needs more vegan offerings

MatthewMcGurn 09 Apr 2013 - Many thanks for your review of our restaurant, All feed-back is most welcome.
I feel that we must clear up some matters with the menu, Apologies for being out of Vegan pizza ( its one of our most popular dishes! )
We did however, have a fresh vegan pizza made in time for the lunch-time trade which starts at 1pm. I hope you come back to try it! In addition to the vegan pizza we also have a Mexican, soja 5 bean chilli served with brown rice and salad. ( all main courses come with Golden roast potatoes but not bread) though we are happy that you asked for and enjoyed our home-made bread!
We also provide free water, in fact we are the first, and only, restaurant in Portugal to sign up to the "givemetap" project offering free water to anyone who wants their bottle filling up or of course in the restaurant with their food. We do not like to bully people into buying bottled water and are happy to provide free distilled water to anyone who asks.
If you are still in Lisboa please pass by and I'd be happy to give you more information regarding our ever-changing menu. We remember your visit and value your custom and feed-back!
The Green Room

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Green Room Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.