The Green Roll

Contact 212-929-2889

Chelsea Market, 75 9th Ave (at 16th St), New York City, New York, USA, 10011

A 100% vegan sushi place inside Chelsea Market. Also serves desserts and drinks. The sister restaurant to Beyond Sushi. Mon-Sat 10:00am-8:00pm, Sun 10:00am-7:30pm

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Delivery, Take-out, Sushi

First Review by BostonVegan

tasty and filling - Edit

I ordered three different rolls. They were all very tasty and I stayed full for many hours. Worth weaving our way through Chelsea Market, as its one of the few Vegan spots in the area. Better seating would have made the experience better - we sat on a window ledge behind the only table that had too few stools for its size.

Pros: Vegan, friendly

Cons: no seating

excellent mind blowing for newbie Vegan - Edit

Wow -- excellent. I just completed a month vegan and this was a mind blowing. I never had intricate vegan sushi. Amazing.

It was hard to find. It is kind of in the middle of Chelsea mall in a mini market. If you are on the apple side walk in past the bathrooms - you all know I love bathrooms - and its on your left inside a mini group of eateries. Once you get your food you can sit at a table by the windows.

I had a dessert too. Yum!!!!

The staff excellent kind helpful patient.

Pros: kind , patient , excellent

Same food as Beyond Sushi - Edit

Here's my review of Beyond Sushi on 14th Street:

"I really like the sushi at Beyond Sushi, but it makes me miss Soy and Sake all the more. Beyond Sushi creatively makes different combinations of delicious vegetables and toppings to come up with their rolls. My only complaint is that the rolls are just vegetables, so there are very limited protein sources. There may be one or two rolls that have tofu, but that's it. Otherwise, a very yummy place for vegan sushi!"

The Green Roll in Chelsea Market has the same food, but even less seating space. There are seats in the markets but those are shared among the different vendors there.

Cons: very limited seating

great food but poor set-up - Edit

This is the same great food from Beyond Sushi, but this location is only take-away. It's also buried inside a tourist trap, so I wasn't too excited about it.

The food is great, but the lack of seating and 1 zillion gawkers means I wouldn't go again.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: only take-away, inside a tourist trap

Fantastic - Edit

I'm not usually a fan of the classic vegetarian sushi, with boring fillings and white rice, but really enjoyed the sushi here. Innovative sushi rolls made with black rice, marinated mushrooms and all sorts of fillings. Will definitely be back for more!

Pros: Clean And Fresh, Inexpensive, Delicious

Unite for great vegan sushi! - Edit

I'm so happy to have a new Beyond Sushi / vegan venue in midtown west - the green machine and haircat rolls are my favorites and they now offer delicious artisanal nut butters which include a tasty halva sunflower seed variety.The venue is a less fortunate affair compared to it's sister location on 14th street and is geared as a take out counter. Support these local vegans so they can open another location in a place more fitting for the great and creative foods that they carefully craft. The Chelsea Market is packed with a variety of shops but the vegan fare us relegated to a back cul de sac with less seating. They really deserve a better venue- it's truly great food and the owners are super nice. Vegans unite and triumph over the lobster chomp! Non vegans will be tempted to convert.

Pros: Great and creatively crafted food, Super nice owners , Halva nut butter

Cons: Food served in take out containers , Can't eat enough sushi to upgrade their venue, Across the plaza from a lobster chompatorium

Excellent vegan sushi - Edit

I bumped into this place on my way to One Lucky Duck in the Chelsea Market and wound up buying lunch here. The sushi was delicious, we tried several rolls and they did a great job. (Did you know that "sushi" refers to the rice, not the fish? So this is not "fake sushi", it is real sushi with real veggies!) I highly recommend this place. I went back and got a yummy vegan cookie for dessert.

There's plenty of seating nearby, so if you're spending the day checking out Chelsea Market you don't need to leave to eat well.

Pros: Food, Service, Location

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Green Roll closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4101 times since Dec 2013.