The Green Lion Pub

Contact 0295557933

726 Darling St, Rozelle, New South Wales, 2039

Vegan pub opened Sept 2016 serving typical pub grub: pizza, burger, hotdog, fries. Wine and beer, ciders and spirits are vegan. Large upstairs space accessed by stairs from Red Lion pub downstairs. Outside balcony space with some scattered sofa seating amongst the tables and chairs. Open Wed-Thu 6:00pm-9:30pm, Fri 6:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, British

First Review by emmawestrup

Great pub food - Edit

The Green Lion does vegan pub food and it does it very well. Sydney's Inner West has quite a selection of veggie/vegan eateries and it's nice to have a pub among them. I've been there a few times now and tried something different each time. The sloppy joe was great, the burgers tasty and firm enough not to ooze out of the bun when you start eating it, the nachos were plentiful and tasty and the curry was lovely. I haven't had a bad meal there yet. The service is friendly and quick and I'm planning my next visit.

Pros: Pub food - meat free, Friendly

Cons: Not cheap, but you get a fair bit for your money.

Good burger, good idea - but expensive - Edit

I'd been excited about coming to the (relatively) new vegan pub in Sydney and it was only a bus ride from where we were staying. After spending a while deciding what we wanted, we decided on the Aussie Burger with slaw (not chips) and the Sloppy Joe with chips (not slaw). The burger was absolutely delicious, with flavour in the patties, not just the sauces - in fact really what a vegan simulated-meat burger should be. But at over $23 - which can only be described as f&@%!# expensive - you'd hope so, especially as neither the burger nor the serving of slaw was huge. The sloppy Joe ($15) was fairly run-of-the-mill. The space was social and pub-like, but the bar relies solely on the vegan food to bring in punters, with no other drawcards. I was also a bit disappointed that not all the alcohol sold was vegan, relying on punters to know the difference. One more thing: to get here you have to walk through a bar with pokies (poker/slot) machines in it.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-17

Pros: Delicious burger

Cons: Very expensive, Non-vegan drinks served

Great Place - Edit

We had an enjoyable experience last Friday.Double patty cheese burger came with chips and we shared a pizza.All tasty and prepared with positive energy by friendly owner. Luckily we arrived at opening time as a group of 50 arrived soon after.Will be going back often.

Pros: All vegan, Friendly owner

Cons: Can get very busy, Not all alcohol served is vegan

Gem in Rozelle - Edit

The food is great, if a touch pricey, and the staff friendly. I had the nachos recommended and I was not disappointed! The cheesecake was also very tasty. Whilst I'm not normally keen on pubs, and travelling through the red lion downstairs reminded me of that, the actual green lion upstairs is lovely and was exactly like what I wish pubs were like!

Stellar idea! - Edit

Came from Adelaide to Sydney for the weekend and had heard about this place so decided to get around it!

We ordered the special pickle burger (kinda like a Big Mac) and the Mac and Cheese! Both really tastey and a good meal size! We also got some ciders to go along with it that we're a great price! The meals were a little pricey, (burger $18) which is the only bummer., however the atmosphere makes it worth it!

We also got some cheesecake take away and they went the extra mile to give us take away ice cream to go with it, which was super lovely. It was great to have such an excellent selection in a classic Aussie setting, which we've never got to have before! I'd be keen to come back and try some other stuff next time we come to Sydney!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff , Cool atmosphere

Cons: Some items a bit pricey

A novelty on the vegan scene - Edit

Usually pubs are the hardest places to find vegan options on the menu so the Green Lion pub has it made. Delicious (but naughty) pub food with numerous options to share or eat alone; superbly friendly and welcoming owners and plenty of space to bring along your mates. Lovely, large balcony area above the main street with comfy sofas as well as standard tables and chairs. It might just become a regular haunt!

Pros: Loads of vegan pub grub that even carnivores love

Cons: bar was closed when we went so had to go downstair

Return to Rozelle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Green Lion Pub closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.