The Green Kitchen

+44-1727753661

419 Hatfield Rd, St Albans, England, AL4 0XP

Small, vegan cafe offering a variety of savory and sweet food such as pastries, salads, pulse and bean dishes, cakes and biscuits, sandwiches, pasta and more. Small assortment of gluten free and raw dishes also available. Ordering off the menu is easy - just ask. Serves coffee, tea, hot chocolate and cold drinks. Also, snacks such as crisps and chocolate. Family-run and family-friendly. Open the last Fri of every month for a supper event, and can host private parties. New for 2017 - Indian evening buffet once a month, please call for details. Open Wed-Sat 9:00am-5:00pm, Sun 11:00am-3:00pm. Closed Mon-Tue.

Categories: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Buffet, Salad bar, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by mixsa

Lovely place :) - Edit

I visit the Green Kitchen about once a week. The food is very tasty, staff is friendly and helpful, there's a warm community atmosphere, and plenty of activities for both kids and adults.

Pros: Warm friendly atmosphere , Tasty food , Monthly themed dinners

Cons: Slow food ethos, maybe not for people in a rush , No background music

Love this café!!! - Edit

I visited The Green Kitchen with my vegan friends, and we all had a great experience. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the food was delicious. The vegan milkshakes were lovely and I would definitely recommend this café to other people - especially the meringues. All the food here is vegan, and there is a very cosy, family-friendly, friendly feeling and ethos about the place. Definitely give it a go x

Pros: Great milkshakes (vegan), Friendly staff, Amazing food

Cons: Quite small - not ideal for big groups, Can take a while for food to come

great vegan hang out! - Edit

Visited with a group of vegan friends and loved it. Very friendly relaxed place.

Happy Vegan - Edit

I went along after endless recommendations from close friends and am so pleased to say, I was not at all disappointed.

I was nervous because I'm very allergic to both gluten and soy, so thought I may end up eating my usual jacket potato and beans... but I ended up pleasantly surprised!

The owner and staff are absolutely wonderful people. Courteous, polite, engaging, welcoming and easy to speak to.

I LOVED that their menu stated that if you didn't like a food, you could tell them and they'd happily make a swap rather than wasting it. It's such a good idea because so often you end up with just one item of food that you don't want, but this solved the problem completely.

I adored their ethics. Everything was sourced from completely ethical, independent vegan companies- no dodgy parent companies in sight!

The food was beautifully presented and tasted extremely homemade, healthy but very flavoursome! It was also given in a timely manner.

I loved how the napkins were 100% recycled, that there were metal straws and other such environmentally friendly items.

Everything for sale was fantastic. I ended up spending MUCH more than intended because they stocked so many unique and exciting vegan items. I also saw some of my favourite books which was random but made me smile.

Overall, the atmosphere was lovely, the food was tasty and everything was ethical, healthy and fairly priced. I can't fault it!

Side note: I loved the pictures on the walls of the animals. It was so pleasant to look at whilst I ate.

Pros: Delicious food, Engaging staff, Environmentally friendly

Cons: Not enough soy free food on the menu

One of my favourite places on Earth! - Edit

Living in St Albans I was initially grateful to have any vaguely veggie place open here - but it's become one of my favourite places to eat full stop. Great food, in a lovely space. You can do a decent vegan shop here also, loads of nice snacks and things for cooking. Love the smoothies, home made cakes and specials board also.

Pros: Great, ever expanding menu, Lovely atmosphere, Best pricing I've seen in a vegan place

Cons: Not in the city center (not a con for me), Relatively new place so menu still growing, Not the biggest of cafes but normally a free table

Fully Vegan - Edit

Cute little cafe with a fully vegan menu. I had the all day breakfast which was so tasty. The "golden milk" I would stay away from but that's just personal taste. Highly recommend

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff

Cons: Stocks cows milk

thegreenkitchen 02 May 2017 - hello, thanks for the review on Happy Cow. I'm very pleased to say we stopped using cows milk when we re-opened after Christmas. ( so we are now 100% vegan) I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the golden milk when you visited. Please tell us when something isn't to your taste and we will make another or change it for something you do like.

Lovely Eco cafe. - Edit

I'd been meaning to go to TGK for ages and finally got around to it today. I was impressed by the fact they have an all vegan menu and have tried to act as sustainably as possible (for example, the furniture came from a reuse centre).
The kitchen is open so you can chat to the cooks whilst your food is being made. Of course, this also means you can see everything and the fresh food going into your dish.
There were building blocks and drawing things to entertain my daughter and a selection of child friendly options.
I probably should have tried one of the lovely sounding specials but the all day breakfast wooed me instead.
I also had a freshly made juice and my daughter a freshly made shake.
I had cake and tea afterwards - usually I avoid the last couple of pieces of cake on display as they're usually dry - not at TGK, the mocha cake was utterly delicious and soft and fresh.
A small selection of vegan sweets and ingredients are for sale so I stocked up on vego and vital wheat gluten.
I recommend TGK, it's worth a trip out of the town centre.

Pros: fresh, Eco, vegan

Cons: location

Great place to get a vegan breakfast - Edit

I wish I lived nearer to this place, they do a cooked vegan breakfast at 70p an item (apart from toast which is still a reasonable £1 for 2 slices). Items included fried mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, sausages, bacon and tofu scramble. My dad is not veg*n but still really enjoyed this, and I was very pleased to be able to opt for a vegan pain au chocolat, not a choice I think I've ever seen in a commercial establishment before and an extremely welcome one!

I was also impressed with the amount of useful groceries they had for sale, including Hodmedod dried beans and quinoa, vegan marshmallows, Vego bars, Suma vital wheat gluten, and many more, dotted around on a few different shelves!

We also liked the shelves full of games and puzzles provided for customers, and the big jug of water which was brought over after we asked for a glass of tap water.

The proprietor was really friendly too, and kindly wrote down a cake recipe for my mum.

The only improvement I would suggest is that I think there should be more indication that items are vegan (even if it's just a V by each item, as that's usually a code we understand!), I almost didn't think to ask if the pain au chocolat were vegan, I found out because I asked if there were any vegan cakes and were told they all are, and it was only later on that I saw a blackboard stating that everything is plant-based apart from dairy milk for drinks.

Pros: Friendly and helpful, inexpensive, tasty food

Cons: labelling could be clearer, location a bit out of the way

Small independent vegan cafe - Edit

A charming small cafe between Hatfield and St Albans. A good spot for lunch with a choice of soup, quiche, salads and homous. Excellent provision for vegans with main dishes and extras including soya milk. The last review mentioned the wait... the cafe seems popular and they now have a second member of staff serving. When I went with a work colleagues today it was busy but service very prompt.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, vegan cakes, pleasent welcoming atmosphere

Cons: Not in central St Albans

pleasant time - Edit

A welcome change to finally have a vegetarian/vegan cafe in St Albans.

Everything is vegan other than the milk used in some drinks. Nothing out of this world but decent nonetheless.

Expect to wait a short while for food as it seemed to be just one person doing all of the food prep for the 20 or so people the cafe can seat. Nice and relaxed atmosphere so the wait wasn't a problem at all.

Lovely staff to top it all off. Will definitely be back sometime.

Pros: Lovely staff

Cons: Extent of menu

St. Albans is lucky... - Edit

lovely lil restaurant and open on Sundays. Very friendly. Met friends w their children and found it very kid friendly. Food and vegan shakes were top notch. Will be going back.

Return to St Albans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Green Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.