The Green Garden

• Vegetarian
Contact +43-662841201

Nonntaler Hauptstrasse 16, Salzburg, Austria, 5020

Health food restaurant sourcing mostly organic and regional produce. Offers an inexpensive weekday 2-course lunch which consists of a main dish plus soup - vegan choices are marked on the menu. Nice atmosphere, no Wi-Fi. Opened Nov 2013.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Take-out, European, Austrian

First Review by Lu73

Vegan Salzburg! - Edit

Vegan Salzburg!

I was delighted to find this vegan/vegetarian restaurant in the old town area of Salzburg. After a week of navigating through meat heavy options, this was a dream come true. The tofu tortellini was fresh, flavorful, and light. For dessert, do have the fruit crumble paired with home made vegan ice cream, or banana-stuffed French toast with blueberries were both excellent. Try the earthy and filling poppyseed gnocchi if you're feeling adventurous. Yes, I tried three desserts. Service was excellent, servers were friendly and happy to advise.

Pros: beautiful atmosphere, friendly wait staff, convenient to tourist locations

expectations not met - Edit

it's been a while that I've visited green garden. it was when they've just opened. I had a friend from the Netherlands visiting and was happy, that I could take a fellow vegetarian to a nice restaurant. location & the restaurant itself are great - someone really made an effort of coming up with nice ideas for the decor!
My friend had sweet potato chips while I ordered the daily meal (tomato soup and spaghetti). Unfortunately, I expected this to be vegan - or otherwise be told, that it's not (everything in the menu was clearly marked vegetarian/vegan but not the daily changing meal). When the main meal came, it had Parmesan on top - so I told her I couldn't be having this. The girl then told me, that the spaghetti would contain eggs as well. I then asked whether it was ok, that I was just going with the soup I just had - and that was ok.
Altogether, the food we actually had, was good, but definitely overpriced, even for Salzburg's standards as - in my opinion - none of it was all that special (I've worked in several restaurants around the city).
In the end, I never gave it another shot and probably won't.

Pros: staff, location, atmosphere

Cons: price, communication/labelling

Fresh and delicious - Edit

We had only just arrived in Salzburg, checked the Happy Cow website and like the sound of The Green Garden.
It did not disappoint.
Fresh ingredients prepared in a deceptively simple way with layers of flavours.
The starters averaged €7.50, the mains were around €13 and the two desserts were €7.50.
They also have organic wines.
They have a lovely greeting of homemade bread with "vegan butter" and red kidney bean pate which is provided free of charge.
Very generous of them.....but be aware that the vegan butter is solidified palm oil which is not a healthy food and environmentally not so good either.

Pros: Delicious fresh food, Friendly staff, Lovely setting

Cons: Palm oil butter

Super fresh, super good. - Edit

I have to say, this restaurant was exactly what I needed when I found it. I was traveling through Salzburg and was craving something fresh and delicious. I definitely found it here. I could argue that the vegan veggie burger I ate here was one of the best I have ever had. The environment was calm with beautiful decor of plants and cute nooks for the tables. My waitress had incredible English, too!

Pros: Beautiful atmosphere, Amazing food, Great service

Excellent - Edit

At the time of writing, July 2015, this restaurant is number 10 out of 540 in Salzburg. 10!! That says something for a niche restaurant. And trust me, they did not disappoint. Although a bit pricy, you would expect that from a restaurant with such high quality ingredients and time consuming dishes. We had a three course dinner and we were both so full we could hardly walk after. Including iced teas and a glass of vegan wine this came to 70 euros. Well worth it!!!!

Perfect Vegan Option - Edit

Cosy little restaurant, decor is cute inside. Staff were friendly, food was delicious. Loads of vegan options. Vegan wine was lovely too. Would go back. Might need to book for dinner.

Pros: Tasty Food, Lots of vegan options , Friendly Staff

Cons: More dessert options?

Fresh, Healthy and Delicious - Edit

We were so thankful to find this restaurant! After the a couple of nights of heavy Austrian food, we finely found a fresh and healthy vegetarian restaurant. Not only was the food delicious, the staff, Jennifer and Bernd, were extremely kind, friendly and attentive. This restaurant is a short walk from Old Town. It's a popular restaurant so you may want to call ahead. If you like delicious, fresh food, you need to try this restaurant!

Very Vegan Friendly :) - Edit

I was sad to see no exclusively vegan listings for Salzburg on HappyCow, but I liked the sound of The Green Garden, so I took a chance. I'd been tired of traveling with my non-vegan parents and having to scrutinize every menu item and constantly ask what could be made vegan (often being told they could do a plain leaf salad or steamed vegetables...), and so I was happy when I could find an exclusively vegan restaurant, which I why I was hesitant about one listed as "vegetarian." Boy was I wrong -- the staff were so friendly, and the restaurant itself is very vegan friendly! Vegan options are clearly marked with a star on the menu, and even the non-vegan options are not "typical" Western vegetarian items (smothered in cheese and eggs). To me, it almost seemed as if there were more vegan options than non-vegan options on the menu! The staff were so friendly and we even had a nice chat and they offered to give me baking tips if I e-mailed them (which I absolutely will), and the overall atmosphere was wonderful. I ordered a soy cappuccino, a salad with tofu, African peanut soup with a banana pancake, and a pasta dish with an almond stuffing, tomato sauce, pesto, and nutritional yeast. For dessert, an espresso and a vegan Berliner (with soy whipped cream and homemade cashew milk strawberry ice cream) were on the menu :) The service was so fast and the food was simply AMAZING! I was worried about my main, because I was never a cheese lover before I went vegan, and I thought it looked quite cheesy (vegan imitation of course). To my (pleasant) surprise, it was more nutty than cheesy, and I absolutely loved it. Everything about the experience was so fabulous, I only wish I could have gone again before leaving Salzburg! A must visit!!!

Pros: extremely friendly staff, gourmet presentation and taste, very vegan friendly

Cons: I only wish I could have gone again!!!

New Vegetarian/Vegan restaurant in Salzburg - Edit

The Green garden offers superb food and drinks altogether with very friendly service and a nice location in a quiet street in central Salzburg. What more can you ask for?

They're offering a very reasonably priced lunch menu for EUR 7,50

Defenitely a recommendation!

Pros: Great food, Friendly service, Prices

Cons: Maybe hard to find for a tourist

Brand new, fresh, original, friendly, creative - Edit

This is the first "real veg-restaurant" in Salzburg.
Mostly organic and regional food. Vegan options always available.
From Mon-Fri you can have a 2-course-lunch (maindish + soup) for only 7,50 €.
If you should find that on that day the main dish isn't vegan, you can ask if they can veganize it for you (I did it and it worked, without extra charge).
The staff is very friendly and supportive, the place is really nice and the food tastes so good !

Easy to find if you first look for the St. Erhard Church, Nonntal : it's just next to the Church!

Pros: good food quality (organic., regional), good location, nice staff

Cons: closed on Sun+Mon, Menu Main dishes are often "only vegetar, 1.time maybe a bit difficul to find

Return to Salzburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Green Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3602 times since Mar 2014.