The Grange

Contact 401-831-0600

166 Broadway, Providence, Rhode Island, USA, 02909

Locally sourced and seasonally inspired vegetable restaurant with vegan options. Serves handcrafted cocktails and regional beers. Mon-Thu 10:00am-12:00am, Sun 10:00am-12:00am, Fri-Sat 10:00am-1:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Japanese, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

First Review by Charlie Behrens

Must Visit! - Edit

I would highly recommend eating here! The menu was described by the waitress as "vegan unless it says cheese or eggs, which can be removed". We had to wait for a table, but there is a nice area with seats and porch swings (inside!) to have a drink while you wait. I got the pierogis which were good, but the star of the show was the General Tso’s Tacos. They were unbelievable. We finished our meal with a caramel, peanut butter brownie. It was a fun night out with delicious food.

Pros: Friendly staff, great drinks, fun atmosphere

Great brunch - Edit

The Grange has a great selection of brunch items. I love the biscuits and gravy with scrambled tofu. I crave those fried and battered mushrooms. Health food it is not.

They do have plenty of lighter fare though, like a quinoa bowl, if you're looking for that.

Over in the front to the right is a small room where you can get take-out cafe, if you just want to grab a snack/coffee/cake/etc.

Expect a wait on weekends but there's a very nice sitting area in the corner where you can enjoy a drink while you wait.

Pros: biscuits and gravy, brunch, great food

Cons: long wait on weekends

Good food, a bit pricey - Edit

We were a group of three and tried several different dishes. We started with the brussels sprouts which were served with thinly sliced radishes and Asian glaze. They were very good.

For the main course, we ordered General Tso's tacos, pierogis, and a pasta dish. The seitan in the tacos were phenomenal. The other dishes were very good, as well, but they were quite pricey, almost twice the price of the tacos, even though the portion sizes weren't any larger than the tacos.

We finished the meal with a vegan creme brulee, which is one of the best desserts I've had in recent memory.

All in all, it was a great meal, although the entree dishes were a bit overpriced.

Pros: Great seitan, Delicious dessert

Cons: Pricey, Unclear vegan labeling

Try anything with the fried oyster mushrooms! - Edit

The fried oyster mushrooms rule! Try them on the Po Boy or with the Biscuits and Gravy! Virtually anything can be made vegan! The Grange is relaxed and funky - the decor and furnishing are reclaimed items and materials from local places. Desserts are often presented as a work of art! Be sure to check out the small take away counter.

Pros: Oyster Mushrooms!, Biscuits and Gravy!, Beautiful Desserts!

Cons: Vegan items are not clearly labeled.

Great Food - Edit

I absolutely love this place! The food was delicious and easily made vegan. The entire dessert menu is vegan as well, and there's an abundance of yummy juice and smoothies. My only complaint is that the bill was a tad high, but that's pretty common for fancier veggie restaurants.

Pros: Great food, Lots of vegan options, Nice atmosphere

Cons: A bit expensive

Great Korean / Mexican fusion! - Edit

I wouldn't have thought to mix Mexican avocado and Korean kimchi, but I loved it when I tried the Kimchi Burrito! I look forward to trying more of what they have to offer.

Pros: Really good food, decent price, not too noisy

Every single time I eat from, or dine in The Grange, I'm happier than the last. my entire family is vegan and we have a plethora of options here. the atmosphere is rustic/hipster and chill, the music is always fantastic, and my boys love sitting on the "porch-style" swings in the seating area. The food , though, is their claim-to-fame. EVERYTHING IS AMAZING! The Korean tacos, the mapkevutter pancakes, the donughts, their juices. . .literally everything I've ever had there has been incredible. The service is pretty good, too, although I sometimes feel like the servers are annoyed with us. All in all, I VERY HIGHLY recommend eating here. You'll soon become a regular, and it's QUITE worth it!!!

Pros: Many vegan options, awesome ambience, absolutely d

Cons: Moderately to high priced. Staff could be a tad mo

Glad to be back for a gem like this. - Edit

I recently returned to New England for the foreseeable future. Being close enough to the Grange more often is definitely one of the reasons why i love Providence, Rhode Island.

I can't stay away from the Po' Boy sammie. But most will tell you that who visit the Grange. The desserts are remarkably consistent and beautiful, well plated and lovingly thought of. Every single time. Service is pretty top notch and i just think it would be so fun to work with this company in general. Staff here is cute, cool, and kind but not overly friendly or aiming to please SO much that you can't enjoy your guest or your meal. I really love that and realize its a hard art to master. Grange pulls it off so well, I feel like I always want to go there when the idea comes up to eat out.

delish! - Edit

Really good - most of the menu is vegan (including all desserts) with only a few dishes w cheese or egg. We had a grilled corn special, fried green tomatoes, Korean BBQ tacos, cauliflower & hush puppies. The seitan in the tacos was great, as were the hush puppies. Bonus for tree nut allergy friends: only a few dishes are cashew cheesey. Highly recommend!

Very good! - Edit

The Grange is adorable! This place has a great atmosphere for the artsy, granola side of Providence. And of course the food was fantastic! I ordered the sweet-chili cauliflower and it was outstanding and really flavorful. I also ordered the roasted veggie bowl (for a light fare, I subbed the rice for greens and made it more into a salad), and it was perfect for my taste. You have to watch what you're ordering to ensure it's vegan, but I love the veg-friendly vibes. I felt like I wasn't too full or over-fed, and I was totally content with my order. I am so pleased with The Grange, I'm coming back soon!

Pros: Yummy!, Good portion size, Cute place

Cons: Not as many vegan options as I'd like...

Excellent - Edit

Have been several times now, for lunch and dinner. Never disappointed. Really good veg/vegan selections and very creative. Not at all your usual veg fare. Great beers, too!
A delight for any plant-based diet. And a very convenient location

Pros: creative, service, beer

Cons: little noisy

Heaven - Edit

Garden Grille out did themselves when they opened up a sister restaurant. I am a huge fan of both restaurants and love the Grange! The atmosphere is wonderful and the decor is all repurposed and has an eclectic feel. The staff is always wonderful and pleasant and happy to serve you. Not to mention the delicious food!! Their fried green tomatoes make my taste buds sing. The portions are just the right size. You must save room for dessert because they always have something delicious.

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Beautiful interior

Cons: Uncomfortable chairs

High expectations were met - Edit

Knowing that this place is run by the same folks as Garden Grille, I knew this would be a winner, and it was! The two of us shared a small plate (fried green tomatoes), two medium (green salad with crispy quinoa & po' boy), and a large (nori tofu). Everything was delicious, but I liked the po' boy the best. I'm sure it's a very popular choice as I saw many other diners have it as well. The tofu in the nori tofu dish was also exceptional - such great flavors and texture; the miso broth could use a little more depth, though. At the end we rounded our meal off with the caramel apple cheesecake. It was slightly too sweet for our taste, but still good.

The décor matched the restaurant's name in a funky and stylish way, which made for an au naturel but fun vibe. Being able to hang out on a porch swing while waiting was really cool - seriously why don't more restaurants have them?

Now, just one nonissue... the menu described the rice in the nori tofu as "sticky rice". To me it refers to the glutinous type that is very common in Asian cuisines - the kind that you would find in, for example, Chinese rice dumplings or the Thai mango sticky rice dessert. However, as it turned out, it was just regular short grain Japanese white rice, which is completely different from the glutinous variety. Not that there was anything wrong with it (actually I would've been surprised had they really used the glutinous type), but when the food brought to your table is not quite what you had in mind, you can't help but go "eh".

This minor misunderstanding aside, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and can't wait to come back to try out other items on the menu!

Pros: excellent food, cool décor

Best Vegan(and Vegetarian) Brunch I ever had! - Edit

We went here for breakfast on a Sunday morning. It is in the Federal Hill area next to cute shops. The restaurant was clean, cute, eclectic and cozy but large enough to accommodate many people. We had breakfast mimosas to start off. The food menu had so many good vegan and vegetarian options it was so hard to decide. I had the huevos verde with tofu which was Eggs or Tofu – Refried Black Beans – Salsa Verde – Avocado – Tortillas – Queso Fresco for $10. It was delicious and with 2 tortillas and toppings for both, I left quite full. It could have been 2 meals. I usually don't like tofu but I wanted to try it and this was awesome! My husband had the Biscuits ‘n’ Gravy | Eggs or Fried Tofu – Almond Mushroom Gravy – Chicken Fried Oyster Mushrooms for $13. He also chose the tofu option. I had to eat some and I am glad I did. It was the most delicious meal I have ever eaten. The gravy was rich and thick. The biscuits huge and fluffy. Again, it could have been 2 meals. Our friend chose that dish as well and loved it and the other chose the Pretzel Bread French Toast | Peach Compote – Candied Pecans – Maple Butter for 6/11.00. He also loved his meal. The coffee was excellent. Soy creamers are offered. We are planning another trip to Providence just so we can come back and try another dish.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 24, 2013

Pros: DELICIOUS food and drink, large portions/reasonably priced, friendly staff

Cons: NONE!

Really excellent meal! - Edit

Just went to this relatively new restaurant after finding it on this website and were bowled over. The waiter was proud of their food and rightly so. Very concerned with food allergies, he was knowledgeable and helpful. Everything we had was tasty and well prepared. The setting, the music, the menu, all very pleasing. Start off with one of their fabulous fresh juices. I can't recommend this gem highly enough.

Outstanding but for the noise - Edit

The Grange is the newest vegetarian option in Providence, run by the same folks as Garden Grille. It's in a cursed location at Dean and Broadway -- a location that has always promised to do so much more than it's accomplished. But it looks like its luck has finally turned.

My partner had a single large plate; I had a soup and a small plate. Every dish was either excellent or spectacular. She said of the corn that lined the bottom of her dish, "This is what summer corn should be", and she was right. My white bean and kale soup was rich and flavorful; my beet salad outstanding.

The staff are friendly to just the right degree. When I asked about quantities our server didn't try to upsell; she just said, "We can bring food out pretty quickly, so if you want more you can always order something else". (Because the menu is split into three sizes, this is in fact a meaningful suggestion.) Furthermore, even though the volume of food was relatively small (and I can tuck away a meal), we left feeling very sated and at just the right proportion to full.

This place isn't cheap (as of Summer 2013, a dinner without drinks, dessert, tax, or tip will set you back $16-18), but it's worth it. The menu, especially for drinks, is somewhere between twee and ironic. But the staff make sure this doesn't turn into snobbery. The decor is very pleasant, and the small lounge area even has a swing. Lots of lovely little touches like that.

People have commented on the noise-level. It is a bit rich. Early in the dinner routine it wasn't too bad. The tables, which are much longer than wide, are an interesting aesthetic choice, but they really don't help in this regard: we had to keep raising our voices at each other, and presumably so did everyone else. (I felt much closer to my counterpart at the adjacent table than I did to my partner.)

Pros: excellent food, prices commensurate with quality, great staff and ambiance

Cons: noisy!, not cheap

Vegetarian but Vegan - Edit

While the Grange says it is a Vegetarian restaurant they are able to arrange most of their meals to be Vegan. The food is top drawer, fresh and local. The do Small, Medium and Large plates which seems to becoming popular in upscale restaurants. We had (small plates) the Pommes Frites with Aioli (was vegan) Wonderful. Crostinis that could have been helped by cutting the bread slices thinner, using the same amount of topping it would have been a better dish. The Sauteed Greens - my only complaint was there wasn't enough of them for three people. Medium Plates we had were Korean BBQ Tacos without the Queso Fresco (making it vegan) and the Po'Boy - really, really good. All the dessert are vegan and we had a Strawberry Brulee that was very good.

Wonderful, popular place at least on Saturday night - if I lived closer I would go there a lot.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 11, 2013

Pros: friendly staff, Local foods, funky decor

Cons: can get a little noisy

Return to Providence Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Grange closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8918 times since Apr 2013.