The Goods Shed

• Farmers-market Farmer's Market
+44-1227459153

Station Road West, Canterbury, England, CT2 8AN

Daily farmers market and food hall with an onsite restaurant. The restaurant serves meat except for one vegetarian platter (maybe vegan suitable, specify). Market vendors include a microbrewery, baker, The Living Larder raw food company, and non-veg food vendors. Open Tue-Sat 9:00am-7:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm.

First Review by CLRtraveller

High quality food in an unusual relaxed setting - Edit

With no veggie restaurants open in the evening in Canterbury we explored some of the ‘veg-friendly’ options. The Goods Shed was our highlight. The restaurant is situated in a large farmers market and specialist foodie location – literally an old shed by the train station. Recently (end August 2015) the restaurant has changed ownership and re-branded from Raphaels to The Goods Shed. Although not a huge choice for vegetarians the quality was very high. We had fabulous olives, delicious soup and ceps on toast – a world away from the mushrooms on toast my Mum used to make. We then shared their vegetarian platter – lots of fabulous flavours and combinations – and they were happy to switch a goats cheese (which we are not keen on) for another lovely cheese. We finished by sharing what they called a ‘fumble’ – a kind of cold crumble which was just delicious. Although not cheap at around £40 for two of us, we thought it was well worth it. High class dining in a relaxed and unpretentious atmosphere. There were at least 50 other people eating at the same time as us so I’d suggest booking.

Pros: Excellent seasonal ingredients, Fabulous flavours, Excellent service

Cons: Not a huge choice for vegetarians, Not cheap!

British Vegan at it's best! - Edit

Booking at the good shed I pre-warned that there would be 2 vegans dining and to my surprise there was absolutely no problem. There is only one option: "Vegetarian Platter" which sounds unpromising...when it arrived I was totally blown-away! It's totally dependant on what's on the menu and as the restaurant cooks seasonal British food, it varies from month to month. I ate at the end of January and the platter comprised of: beetroot & green olive salad, cannelini bean and mushroom bake, pearl barley and kale broth (served in a old fashioned tea cup- too cute!), roast seasonal British vegetables with (amazing) spiced red cabbage, sautéed baby leeks on toast. I can't explain how amazing it was to eat British seasonal cooking without the meat and dairy! The way the platter was laid out meant that everything was different but complemented each other perfectly. My other (meat eating) companion ordered the chicken and spent the whole time tasting mine and saying she wished she'd ordered vegan too!

Obviously desserts were standard non-vegan fare but the Bramley apple sorbet was very nice.

I can't say the wine was vegan or either vegetarian but for a restaurant situated in a farmers market that has an onsite fishmonger and butchers it was a total shock to have such an amazing vegan meal. I'm definitely going back to see what will be on the vegetarian platter in the summer :-)

Pros: inventive, British seasonal vegan at it's best, totally welcoming attitude to veganism, didn't get annoyed at my constant "is this vegan?"

Cons: no emphasis on vegan/vegetarian wines, only one vegan dessert

vegan feast - Edit

The Restaurant uses fresh food from the adjacent farmers' market, delicious and attractively presented. There's a vegetarian feast (platter), but I had a fantastic vegan version, for £13, well worth the cost: small bowl of creamy potato soup drizzled with chili oil, carrots and kale, caramelized-onion crostini, lentils, roasted potatoes, mixed-greens salad, portobello mushroom topped with braised leeks, all preceded by fresh bread and olive oil for dipping.

Pros: offers vegan and vegetarian platters

Cons: serves meat

Return to Canterbury Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Goods Shed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2033 times.