The Good Harvest Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 707-465-6028

575 US Highway 101 South, Crescent City, California, USA, 95531

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves fresh foods including some vegetarian options. Call for hours. Previously located on Northcrest.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by miacard

Willing to make vegan adaptations - Edit

There are quite a few vegetarian options, but, it is true that there are no vegan options on the menu. That said, the servers were very willing to make any vegetarian item on the menu vegan and, after consulting the kitchen, even made us a lunch item during dinner.

My husband had the vegetarian Ruben (we added tofu and subtracted the cheese) and said it was delicious. Their version has more pan-roasted veggies and lacks the usual (and non-vegan) Russian Dressing. Still, the sourness of the sauerkraut and other flavors more than made up for it and our addition of tofu made it filling. In terms of sides, he choose the baked potato (as the only have a single fryer, which fries their meat as well).

I had the homemade veggie burger (rice-based, fried, but tasty) with good veggie toppings, including sauteed mushrooms. It came on a hearty wheat bun. I opted for the fries, despite the single fryer situation. They were seasoned and good, if a little over-salty.

The addition of great beer on tap and coffee/tea options made this a worthwhile option in a town with few vegan-friendly places.

Pros: Willing to make any veg. item vegan, Friendly helpful staff, Good beer, coffee, tea

Cons: Single Fryer, Decor a bit hunting lodge-esque

Regular Diner - Edit

Alot like a Shari's restaurant and I dont go to Shari's for breakfast... didn't have a good feeling that they would be able to make us vegan food, so left with just getting some fresh juice which was good. This is veg friendly only and probrably not for vegans but it was all we could find...so ill leave the rating at OK

A Glorified Diner - Edit

Such a promising veggie-friendly name, but nothing too impressive to taste here. To be fair, it was sufficient: there were several vegetarian options and I didn't leave hungry.

The Setting: both a first and second level dining room, both spacious with moderately high ceilings, the first floor featuring a fireplace, with old-fashioned decor and a few Native American wall hangings. Full bar upstairs. Luckily, open til 9:30pm on the Sunday night we passed through.

The Menu: The Vegetarian Options were really just a small column of about 5 dishes on a plastic-bound multi-page menu featuring many breakfast options not available at night. One tempting option was a Vegetarian Sampler (side salad, soup of choice, roasted fresh veggies) for $13

The Food: The small side salad that came first was surprisingly impressive: spring mix greens (wih only a few small pieces of iceberg), sprouts, 3 slices of beets, and cucumber, along with the traditional cherry tomatoes. The pescetarian-friendly Fish Tacos were mild and forgettable, the only flavor coming from the overly-spicy fresh pico de gallo with too many jalapeño seeds. The Veggie Chili (ordered with no cheese) was definitely out of a can, nothing too interesting about the flavor, but chock full of beans, and they made an effort putting some fresh chopped white onion on top. Biggest heartbreak: though they had a Fresh Veggie Juice on the menu, their juicer was broken (August 2013).

The Review: probably your best choice in Crescent City, and enough options to fill you, but don't expect any exciting new flavor combinations to incorporate into your vegetarian cooking.

Pros: Vegetarian section on menu

Cons: Vegetarian section on menu is small, Juicer broken, Lacks interesting flavor combinations

Overpriced, Bland, Non-Vegan Friendly Food - Edit

My husband and I were stoked to find a vegan friendly place in Crescent City but were sorely disappointed by Good Harvest Cafe.

Though the restaurant had a number of vegetarian options (about 5 sandwiches, a veggie burger, and vegetarian chili) there were not any vegan options on the menu. Just about everything had cheese on it and the sandwich we ordered had mayo even though it wasn't listed as an ingredient.

Worse, the food was just poor. My husband and I both had the vegetarian club sandwich, which has tofu, lettuce, avocado, sprouts, tomato (and mayo) on wheat bread. The bread was soggy, the tofu was not seasoned, and because we couldn't have the mayo, the sandwich was super dry. My husband's fries, though tasty, were cold.

Despite the food, our experience wouldn't have been a total loss if the customer service hadn't been so bad. We were not greeted when we came in and had to stand for 10 minutes unacknowledged. The servers were not friendly, our order wasn't taken promptly, and there just generally wasn't a good vibe about the place.

The icing on the cake was the price of our underwhelming meal. Our sandwiches were each over 9 dollars- a price completely unjustified by the quality of the ingredients or the tastiness of the food.

My advice: skip out on Good Harvest Cafe and instead hit up Thai House. We went in not expecting anything and were blown away by the service and the food. There is also an excellent natural foods grocery store called Harvest Natural Foods that'll satisfy vegan cravings. Don't waste your time or money at Good Harvest Cafe.

Cons: No Vegan Options, Bad Food, Poor Customer Service

Return to Crescent City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Good Harvest Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2188 times since Aug 2007.