The Gate

• Vegetarian
Contact 02087486932

51 Queen Caroline Street, Hammersmith, West London, England, W6 9QL

Vegetarian restaurant near Carling Hammersmith Apollo, a bit difficult to find first time. Established originally in 1989 underwent refurbishment in 2013. Attached to the Temple Lodge B&B. Offers cuisine with Indo-Iraqi Jewish influence.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Beer/Wine, British, English, Indo-Iraqi

First Review by GAJ

Beautiful - Edit

Beautiful building!
Beautiful service!
Beautiful food!

The place we wanted to go for lunch had changed menus, so we wound up going to The Gate. This should have been our first choice all along! Everything was absolutely wonderful! I had the Wellington, which was simply amazing. Everybody else was equally pleased with their meals. Whether you are a vegetarian or not, make a point to visit The Gate. You will not be disappointed.

Terrible staff but reasonable food - Edit

Not a patch on the Islington Gate!
Terribly staff. They couldn't find our table booking. We're slow and inefficient. The smoke alarm was set off (albeit by a customer) and no one knew how to turn it off. It was horrifically loud and no one came to explain it to us and when we asked we were told by a jumped up wait or that it wasn't his problem. We didn't even make it to pudding without having to leave. Would never go back.

Cons: would give 1* if possible , dreadful staff

Highly recommended - Edit

My partner and I ate here in the early evening before seeing Kate Bush at the nearby Apollo, so my experience of the Gate may be coloured by being wildly excited about seeing Kate Bush, and the fact that the restaurant was playing Kate Bush, but we thought it was fantastic.

We made a reservation through their website at about 4.30pm, for 5.45pm. Turned up 20 minutes late to find they'd held our table despite the place being completely full. We didn't have time to enjoy the whole menu, but we shared some bread, olives and oil for a starter. These were completely delicious, so flavourful and interesting to taste. Each of the mixed olives had a unique flavour, the bread was mixed also, and the oil flavoured with rosemary and chilli. For main courses I had some wild creation with squash piped into a potato roll, refreshing salad and creamed artichoke. I was too engrossed in my own food to remember what my partner ate, but whatever it was he was equally engrossed in! Polished off with a nice glass of wine and a local beer, and done in plenty of time to get to the Apollo, we could not have been happier.

While it is expensive, I felt the price reflected the quality and inventiveness of the food. We hope to return some time when we have leisure to try the starters and deserts!

Pros: really excellent food

Vegetarians will love it, vegans less so... - Edit

When my boyfriend was still vegetarian rather than vegan, he asked to go here for his birthday. He had a great dining experience but, as a vegan, I didn't. There weren't many options and it seemed like they couldn't be bothered with being imaginative for vegan food. Having been to Manna and seeing what could be done it was extremely disappointing. The worst thing is the vegan options of meals are just the same meals with the dairy/egg item removed!

On the plus side, the restaurant itself is really beautifully decorated (or was before it closed for refurbishment! ;) ) and you really feel you are somewhere upmarket - moreso than any other vegetarian restaurant I have been to.

Pros: High quality, Romantic

Cons: Poor deal for vegans

Stylish and fun - Edit

A stylish gourmet vegetarian bar and restaurant with a good number of vegan options - about half the menu. The atmosphere is fun and funky and well-designed. We had the polenta cakes and the wild mushroom risotto cakes. For desert we had a brioche with summer fruits with vegan ice cream, and an apple and rhubarb crumble. All vegan. Very tasty food and an enjoyable night out.

Pros: Delicious, Fun atmosphere, Artistic creations

Great food - Edit

My husband and I enjoyed the food here - plenty of vegan options (except dessert) and dishes were well presented and tasty.

We were a little disappointed in the limited vegan dessert options - a single choice for vegans of chilli roasted pineapple.

The restaurant itself is above a church but not affiliated with the church and the space is lovely and open with a good atmosphere. It is a little odd to have to enter via the church though!

I will be eating here again in the future.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Limited dessert choice for vegans

My favourite 'expensive' veggie place! - Edit

Incredible food. Constantly changing & exciting menu. Worth the trip & bother to find it (it's sorta' hidden under a church!). Gourmet food & a lovely environment. RECOMMENDED TO BOTH THE LONDONER & THE TRAVELLER! :-)

Pros: Gorgeous food!, Always something new, Friendly informed staff & chef

Cons: A little pricey, Hard to find the first time, May need reservation

Very tasty, no problems as a vegan - Edit

Went here with my husband a few weeks ago. The atmosphere was bustling, but warm and friendly. The staff were very attentive.

I would have to disagree with the folks that say the vegan options are limited. At least 1/3 - a half of the menu is available as vegan. I ordered everything vegan and I didn't feel the taste was lacking in the least. In fact, I was surprised at how tasty everything was. Only been once, but I can say this is probably one of my favorite restaurants so far!

My favourite vegetarian restaurant. - Edit

My wife and I love this restaurant so much we try not to go too often. It sounds weird but for us, food this good needs a special occasion! The decor is lovely, staff attentive, atmosphere great, but mostly it's the food. To say it's special is putting it down. It's outstanding.

Pros: Gourmet food, Amazing flavour

Cons: Fairly expensive, A little hidden

Don't bother if you're vegan - Edit

The Gate is a vegetarian restaurant that doesn't put much effort into catering for vegans. I went with a vegetarian partner and we spotted straight away that not one of the main courses was all vegan. A couple were 'vegan option'. There were a couple of starters that were vegan however, and we had a delicious artichoke in batter. But on the mains even the 'vegan option' choice was sparse. The nicest looking thing on the menu was a mushroom risotto dish. My vegetarian friend's dish came with a tasty creamy sauce around the risotto cake thing, my vegan version didn't. He said that the sauce made the dish. My 'vegan option' dish was under-seasoned and not particularly tasty otherwise - I wouldn't recommend it. When I mentioned this to the waitress she said that's just what happens with the dishes that are vegan. So basically you pay the same price as a vegan (and it's not cheap at The Gate) but get a dish which has just had the non-vegan bits taken out and they don't even attempt to replace them with anything else to compensate for any taste difference! You might be used to this from restaurants that serve mainly meat but The Gate is a well-established veggie place. We didn't bother with the desserts, again hardly any vegan choice. Come on The Gate, other restaurants manage to be a bit more creative and cater properly for vegans, it's not hard.

Pros: nice atmosphere

Cons: Vegan options limited., Vegan options underseasoned, Vegan options very underwhelming

Smart but more vegan food needed! - Edit

The Gate is a smart place to eat. I was in London for a work meeting so ate here on my own. The place was busy, and quite noisy, but the service was attentive. The vegan choices were quite low in numbers for all three courses, although they were all very tasty. I'm also sure the two vegan options on the main courses were the same ones that had been on there (tangine, tortilla wraps) nearly two years ago when I was last in London and ate here. The vegan desserts were not very inspiring, but their ice cream was definitely home made and was very tasty.
In summary, nice, quite epensive so good for a 'celebration', but could do better on the vegan front.

Pros: tasty, friendly staff

Cons: few vegan choices, noisy

So so - Edit

I normally take my American business collegue to Saf but as she had a meeting in Hammersmith I thought I'd give the gate a try.
It is a really lovely setting and the menu is great for Vegetarians but was really uninspiringfor vegans - the menu is SO cheese based so there was onlyt two options for me to choose from.
I had the Tagine which was meant to be root veg but all it had in it was Fennel and chickpeas. It was also so spicy it was impossilbe to eat - tagines should be fragrant with cinnamon and spices not just so hot that you cannot taste anything.
The desserts were the usual for vegans - a choice of crumble or apple charlotte, neither of which I fancied so the waitress suggested the 'homemade vegan ice-creams. Lobvely but they arrived and were Swedish Glace ones - not homemade at all.
If I was a veggie I would love this place but as a vegan I can't see myself ever going back as they do not cater for me. It is probably a little churlish to give this review as it is a Vegetarian restaurant and not a Vegan one but I did call before and was told the dishes could be adapted but they can't be as they pretty much all contain cheese as the base ingredient.

Pros: nice setting, good for veggies

Cons: bad for vegans

Still as good as ever - Edit

I am pleased to report that our recent visit found food standards in line with our high expectations and we were welcomed as usual by pleasant staff. The Gate is not the cheapest option but it offers a unique and imaginative menu and a good night out. We always go for the mezze as it is too difficult to choose a single starter, and then share two main courses. (We don't like to miss anything).

Pros: Excellent food, Pleasant staff

Return to West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Gate closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3525 times since Aug 2007.