The Gardener's Arms

+44-1865-559814

39 Plantation Road, Jericho, Oxford, England, OX2 6JE

A pub with kitchen serving vegetarian and vegan bar snacks and main meals. Open Mon-Sat 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wed-Sat 12:00pm-2:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Beer/Wine

First Review by happyharry

Yummy vegan food! - Edit

This place was great. The staff were super friendly and relaxed. They serve great comfort food. My husband had the mixed mushroom pie and i had veggie hotdog (which came with sooooo many chips). Come early as this place is super popular!

Pros: Great food, Easy-going staff, Reasonably priced

Cons: Don't serve desserts

Proper pub food - Edit

Brilliant pub serving vegan and vegetarian versions of "proper" pub food. Have been here many times, sometimes with omni friends and family, and never been disappointed.

My first vegan pub experience! - Edit

Great atmosphere, half-pub half-restaurant. An unusual opportunity to have vegetarian and vegan food in a pub, or pub-food. We had calzone, vegan burgers and chilli.

All fresh and tasty. It gets a bit crowded on the weekends so better com early or get ready to queue.

Pros: atmosphere, pub food in vegan versions

Cons: gets busy

Great naughty food - Edit

Sometimes even as a vegan I want to have a meat free chicken sandwich or a really good burger, when that is the case I go to the Gardiners Arms. I also come here when I want to eat out with none vegetarians / vegans, as they are always satisfied with the food, without me having to be around meat consumption.

Pros: really tasty naughty food, friendly staff, hits that burger or hotdog spot for the vegan.

Cons: not cheap, awkward to park

Graet vege pub - Edit

This is a great place with relaxing atmosphere, good beer, tasty pub-style vegan and vegetarian food. It's not my favourite kind of food (I prefer healthy vegan food) but I really enjoyed to visit this place. I spent there nice few hours with my friend drinking beer, chatting and eating mushroom pie. For beer and fast food lovers perfect :)

A superb stop off from the A40 - Edit

A lovely quiet pub atmosphere. Great staff and astounding normal pub food (pies, burgers, hot dogs etc) in addition to some different things (Chilli/Indian). We stopped off here for dinner on our way to Hereford and loved it so much we changed our return plans to come back.

Mostly tables of various sizes and a sofa with a good amount of outdoor seating (including some under cover)

Pros: great food , loads of vegan stuff

Cons: the drinks are not all veggie

Wonderful place - Edit

We were passing Oxford on Saturday evening and despite we were not hungry, we decided that we must visit, at least for a drink :)
We were NOT disappointed. This is such a charming, lovely place :) we had a nibble of olives and humus The olives tasted heavenly! and my other half loved the ales!
We will definitely visit again when we are in Oxford :)

Pros: Atmosphere, menu, garden

Great vegan/Vegetarian pub grub - Edit

been here a couple of times and really liked it. They have really good vegan options - my favourite are the burgers (they have some specials). If you like spicy food try the scotch bonnet chilli sauce on your burger - really spicy! Good vibe and good lagers also. worth a visit when in Oxford. They also have an Indian thali which I've never tried

Pros: Vegan options galorecheapish pub grub, quick service

Cons: can sometimes be packed

amazing! - Edit

Just stopped in for the "chicken" burger special, absolutely amazing!!! The vegan cheese was to die for and the vegan mayo was spectacular!

Great veggie pub food - Edit

We always look for vegetarian places to eat if possible. In Oxford there are lots of omnivorous cafes with veggie choices but very few real veggie places. So, it was worth coming a little out of the centre to find The Garden.

Outstanding pub-style food - we had the Mushroom Medley Pie and a Veggie Burger. All was plentiful. The side veg with the pie was perfect - not overcooked. Good cider, and no funny looks when one of us just wanted water.The meal would have been perfect if the veggie burger had come with proper chips not thin fries - but that's just our opinion. Midweek lunchtime there was plenty of room to sit - possibly more crowded at peak times.

If you are driving you can park in Leckford Road for 2 hours for free - a bonus in Oxford - or it's about a 20-30 minute walk from the centre.

We will definitely come back next time we are in Oxford - and will recommend to friends.

Pros: Veggie pub food, Fresh and tasty, Excellent beers

Charming and Delicious! - Edit

5.0 star rating
4/15/2016

The bad news: we arrived after the kitchen stopped preparing the full lunch menu, and were forced to order burgers or chili dogs.
So, we got two of each...
The good news: they were great! Two in our group said they were the best chili dogs they've ever had!
The charming part: LP covers are displayed throughout, giving the place a very familiar feel. Many of those albums were staples for me in my younger days. :-)

lovely vegan pub food - Edit

Loved the pub and the grub. Vegan pie and other tasty veggie pub food in a really nice pub.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Pub style food, In a great pub

Plenty of vegan food - Edit

We had a nice Sunday vegan meal at this pub, which was delicious and filling. We enjoyed the vegan burgers and the giant portions of chips. Also, the vegan sticky toffee pudding was fabulous. I recommend it to all vegans, and I am planning to try the other vegan dishes next time when I am in Oxford.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Big portions, Fast service

Cons: White bread instead of wholemeal one

Nice, Could Be Better - Edit

GA is the only fully vegetarian pub/restaurant in Oxford, and it caters well to vegans with around half of the (small, unchanging) menu being vegan. I've been here a few times now and while it's nice, it's never quite good enough to justify the price (as another review mentioned, you're looking at £8 for a burger with a bit of tomato/lettuce and a basket of chips). I wouldn't mind paying extra for the benefit of eating at a fully veggie place if they didn't fall short in so many other areas eg they stop serving at 7:30pm (and this is a completely food-centric pub, remember), the food doesn't taste that great and never changes, etc. Lots of people love this pub but personally, I was disappointed.

[Edit]
I've since realised that it's only on Sundays that they stop serving at 7:30pm, most days they stop at 9, which is much more reasonable. Also, I've since been back with other people and they both commented on how cheap and delicious the food was! I guess it's a matter of perspective haha :-)

Pros: Fully Veg, Do A Pub Quiz On Sundays, I Think They Have A Few Books&board Games

Cons: Feels Like They Charge Xtra

Awesome! - Edit

We were the first customers that Monday and we came there very hungry hoping to have a nice vegan meal. It was a pub with a really nice environment which we really liked and the food was delicious too! They have meals of the day and the curry platter includes the curry of that day. I had it with the mango chutney sauce and my friends wrap was with two vegan burgers and the same sauce but you ban pick others too. There are plenty of options and the portions are huge! The staff is helpful and also you can get tap water for free.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 17, 2014

Pros: Delicious Food With Lots Of Vegan Options, Friendly Staff , Huge Portions

Cons: A Walk From The Center

Great find! Loved this pub! - Edit

Loved that this was a vegetarian pub! Very clear on what was vegan and what wasn't. We had chilli hot dogs and they were tasty and plenty of food for £7.50. I would definitely visit this place again if in the area and recommend to others! The choice wasn't vast but if you want a friendly atmosphere, tasty food (especially if you crave vegan junk food), and a vegetarian pub definitely visit this place!

Seems To Have Gone Downhill - Edit

Had a very average vegan burger - burgers straight out of the freezer and shoved in a bun with poor chips. That's it for 8 quid! Good beer though.

Pros: Good Beer

Cons: Poor Quality Food

Amazingly tasty, really good value - Edit

Had a vegan burger + vegan wrap + vegan deserts of the day. Amazingly tasty and really good value. Would go back any time. Limited choice but deserts they seem to change more often. Pleasant stay.

Pros: good value, best vegan burgers, huge portions

Return to Oxford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Gardener's Arms closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.