The Garden Asian Vegetarian Cuisine

Contact 519-915-5566

2156 Wyandotte St W, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, N9B1J9

Open Feb 2015 a vegetarian restaurant near University and Ambassador Bridge Crossing. Serves Chinese cuisine with faux meats made from soy and wheat gluten and seafood made from konnyaku (jelly made from yam starch). Most dishes are vegan. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon 11:00am-9:00pm, Wed-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm. Closed Tue.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Asian

First Review by _lawlipops_

Strong Vegan Flavors - Edit

We are visiting from Chicago, looking for a vegetarian option with good flavors. This place was great! Very clean, fresh and flavorful. Lots of choices on the menu.

Pros: Menus are very easy to read clearly showing produc

Cons: You may want to ask for low oil.

they know how to do veg!! - Edit

Their meat replacements are literally the best tasting and best textured I've ever had. I first tried their general Taos chicken when I was still eating meat and I thought it was crazy delicious. I'm also a fan of their spring rolls.

The Garden- Favourite Restaurant! - Edit

The atmosphere is great, the staff are friendly and helpful, and all of the options are yummy! Even my meat-eating friends conceded that the food at The Garden was great. In my opinion, the price is right and you get a good sized portion.

Definitely recommended, especially for veggie students near the University!

Pros: Yummy!, Reasonable Prices, Good Staff

Best vegetarian / vegan restaurant - Edit

Just what Windsor really needed. Variety of vegetarian / vegan items on the menu. Meals are always made of fresh ingredients, the place is always clean, staff very friendly and helpful. Free desert - oolong or green tea jelly. The best restaurant for vegetarians and vegans in Windsor area.

Pros: vegan friendly, no MSG, clean and affordable

Great food, a little pricey. - Edit

Tried this restaurant out while in Windsor on business.

Spring rolls - just okay. portion size small, plate needed garnish, dipping sauce tasty.

Spicy Eggplant - presented sizzling in an clay pot (very cool). Was delicious. Think it could be spicier though.

The Garden Fried Rice - Delicious. I completely agree the other reviewer who suggested plain steamed rice come with the entrees. The Garden Fried Rice was great on it's own but would get a little lost if used to mop of saucy dishes.

General Tso Chicken - Amazing. I really want to know how the get their fritters so perfectly dense. I'd love to spend a day in the kitchen.

Overall - very friendly and helpful staff. place was very clean incl. washrooms. The dining room was nice but I felt like it needed breaking up somehow - or maybe it's just because I was the only one there (18:00, Wed).
The food was great but pricey or potion size too small - however you choose to look at it. I got one appetizer and 3 entrees for $42 but could have eaten all of it at the restaurant. Add steamed rice to entrees would be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Pros: great food, clean , friendly staff

Cons: expensive / small portions, no steamed rice

Great restaurant - Edit

We had dinner for the first time here and it was excellent. The food and staff members were number one. No negative comments at all.

Pros: Food, Staff members, Restaurant decore

WONDERFUL VEGAN menu!! - Edit

I was SO excited to see this new, completely vegetarian restaurant open in my home town! Even more excited that at least 75% of its menu is VEGAN! They served EXCELLENT plant-based "chicken", "shrimp", seitan and tofu. The spring rolls and fried wonton were delicious. My son loved the crispy fried seitan. We all thought that the sweet and sour 'chicken'-flavoured fritters with veggies was the BEST! Our only criticism would be that they should provide a bowl of complimentary steamed rice with the entrees. We did order a fried rice dish, but it wasn't really enough rice for four people to share with the entrees. It would be about $20 to order two rice dishes to eat with your saucy entrees and that is a lot to add to your bill. Every Asian restaurant I have ever been to, includes some plain rice for the table when entrees are ordered. Otherwise I give the restaurant 5 stars. Just want to mention that the on-line menu varies a little from in-house, for example there were no egg rolls on the restaurant's actual menu. Also, the on-line menu doesn't include the information on which items are not vegan. This would be important if you are ordering take-out. In the dining room menu, I was thrilled to see the symbols not just for veg but also showing the few items that contained milk or eggs and which were mildly or very spicy. The restaurant is newly renovated, fresh and clean and nicely decorated. The service was excellent! Thank you for giving Windsor a tasty vegan menu. SO many more dishes to try so we WILL be back! :)

Pros: Amazing faux 'meats'! , MANY tasty VEGAN choices!, Great atmosphere and staff!

Cons: Should serve steamed rice with entrees, On-line, vegan choices not clear, Might go broke trying everything!

Exactly what I hoped for! - Edit

The Garden Asian Vegetarian Cuisine opened in early February, 2015 and is just a few blocks away from the University of Windsor. I was very impressed by their menu, which was mostly vegan. Items that were vegetarian were clearly labelled. They offer appetizers (e.g., seitan platter), entrees featuring a variety of classic Asian dishes (e.g., General Tso's "chicken"), dim sum, soups (even wonton soup!), rice and noodle dishes, and delicious beverages (e.g., vegan shakes). They have a nice mix of faux meats (seitan and tofu) and vegetable-based dishes. The restaurant is very well-decorated and the staff are pleasant. We had the spring rolls, dumplings, wonton soup, and seitan platter. Vegan fortune cookies are available. I expect that this restaurant will be very successful. We will be regular customers at The Garden!

Edit: I returned for another meal and fell in love with their sweet and sour "chicken" fritters combo with their hot and sour soup. Their steamed veggie buns are fantastic as well!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 11, 2015

Pros: Menu is mostly vegan, Lots of classic Asian dishes, Attention to detail & location are great

Cons: No dessert menu

Return to Windsor Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Garden Asian Vegetarian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.