The Friendly Toast - Portsmouth

Contact 603-430-2154

121 Congress St, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA, 03801

Serves meat, vegan options available. Diner food with large all-day breakfast menu. Breads are not vegan, but that there are tofu scrambles, wrap, and other basic vegan possibilities. Owner is veg-inclined with around 1/2 of the menu being ovo-lacto vegetarian suitable. This location is open all hours on the weekend. Mon-Thu 7:00am-10:00pm, Fri 7:00am-12:00am, Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by tablemoonspoons

Don't waste your time - Edit

It was a huge hassle to get a vegan meal. We ordered the tofu scramble in a breakfast burrito and asked for no meat substitutes. We sent our meal back when it was served with non vegan sausage inside that we never asked for. The waitress apologized and corrected her error. The service is mediocre. The food is bland. We were charged extra for salsa just to add flavor to an already terrible meal. We will never return. Left with a stomach ache.

Pros: Downtown Portsmouth

Cons: not many vegan options, terrible customer service , not vegan friendly

The Not-So-Friendly Toast - Edit

The friendly toast is actually pretty unfriendly. I stopped in last week to try their breakfast, but the employees were rather rude. I attributed their rudeness to the fact that the place was really busy and they were probably just under a lot of pressure. BUT after actually dining there, I realized that the employees are rude on an everyday basis. I had asked our waitress if she could make the falafel plate vegan, she said yes. She then asked me what side I wanted, so I asked for sweet potato fries. She advised me that the sweet potato fries were not vegan, because all food is thrown into the same fryer. When I asked her if that meant, then, that the falafel was, in fact, not vegan, she got all huffy and said that it depends on how "hard-core" vegan you are. And then proceeded to speak to me in a demeaning tone. I'm sorry, but there's either "vegan" or "not-vegan," nothing else! She basically pushed us out the door: our plates were taken away the second we took our last bite. The ambiance of the place was also pretty terrible - really trashy decorations and the music was so loud that you couldn't even hear what the person next to you was saying. I WILL NOT be dining here again, and would advise anyone who is vegan (or simply anyone who wants to avoid unwanted rudeness) to steer clear of this establishment!
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 03, 2014

Pros: Good tahini dressing

Cons: Rude wait staff, confused by what it means to be vegan, bad ambiance

Limited but Good - Edit

The vegan options on the menu mostly revolve around tofu scrambler. The breads aren't vegan but you can substitute it with a bagel or flour tortilla. I got the scrambler both days that I was there (without the cheese or veg. sausage). It was nothing outstanding, but it did the job.

Be sure to communicate well with your server and emphasize that you're vegan. One of the days they brought me egg whites by accident.

Pros: decor

Cons: long wait, limited options

Cool place - Edit

We walked by while looking for some dinner, got intrigued by the funky decor, checked out the menu, and decided to go in. Food was great, portions were pretty big. Not a lot of vegan options, but staff were knowledgeable and willing to substitute ingredients. Great place for veggies to dine with their non-veg friends.

Pros: yummy food, good portions, knowledgeable staff

Friendly Toast is delicious - Edit

I love this restaurant, it's so good for every meal. They serve meat but have plenty of vegetarian and a few vegan options. They are really nice, laid back and flexible, and are happy to change a menu item to make it vegan. All of their food is delicious, I highly recommend it.

Great place to eat - Edit

The staff know their menu, including what's vegan and what's not (e.g. their veggie sausages and bacon are not). Sadly after some asking, it turns out that the number of vegan options available are actually fairly few... though they're happy enough to modify existing dishes for you, so just ask!

Pros: friendly, knowledgable staff, flexible cooks, good taste+value

finally...... - Edit

Finally a great place for vegetarian breakfast in NH! This restaurant has personality. Tons of artwork, interesting people and vegan and vegetarian food. "Kate's Tofu Scramble" was delicious! Toast is like 2 inches thick and tasty.

Pros: excellent food, location

Cons: offers meat, expensive

hip times ten - Edit

this place wins as the hippest in NH. its decor and originality make it worth a visit. this is a diner style place where college kids and the young and old go to be seen as much as for the food. there is lots of stuff for veggies and a little less for vegans but its still worth checking out and that little bit of extra oil and grease makes everything yummy. the wait staff is in the know about vegans so dont be afraid to ask. if your just passing thru the area its only about 5mins off I-95 in downtown portsmouth, there is a bull-moose music shop across the street worth checking out and the downtown has lots of galleries and stuff like that too.

Return to Portsmouth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Friendly Toast - Portsmouth closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3090 times since Aug 2007.