First Review by Shanni

Excellent gourmet market. - Edit

Not sure who thought this was going to be a health food store, but that's definitely not it's main thrust.. Sure they have organic, vegan, and "healthy" options, but where this store shines is in making available rarer, higher-end ingredients and products not available elsewhere.

For example, they recently made Hatch green chiles, raw or roasted, available by the 25lb case. Nope, not organic. But so tasty no one in their right mind caress!

Same with their bulk white chocolate. The garbage that you buy in a grocery store is called "white baking chips," because they no longer contain any cocoa butter at all! First ingredient in Fresh Market's version is cocoa butter, and no palm oil or hydrogenated crap to be found. If you want real white chocolate, their price and quality can't be beat.

Bottom line, if you go here expecting a health food store, you will be sorely disappointed. Go a mile down the road to Earth Fare instead. But if the flavor of your food trumps its provenance and pedigree, you'll like this place just fine.

Pros: delicious, real food.

Cons: a little pretentious and spendy

gorgeous, pricey, vegan options - Edit

This Fresh Market is just like any other except it's a bit smaller in size. It is a beautiful store, fresh flowers in abundance when you walk in, classical music, etc. They definitely have some vegan options...but only because of the produce dept and the fact that they have some dairy alternatives and sell nutritional yeast. The bakery selections are FULL of preservatives and so many things contain dairy and/or eggs. This is a great, fancy place for vegetarians and meat-eaters but it's really NOT that fresh despite the name unfortunately. I stop here when I literally need a piece of produce or two or some almond milk. Earth Fare is just down the street and way more geared to a fresher vegan/vegetarian diet. Again, it's a pretty place to shop though!

Pros: beautiful store, good produce, dairy alternatives

Cons: expensive, lots of preservatives, better for carnivores; not vegans

I'm Not Very Impressed - Edit

I hoped this would be a good health food store because I live only a mile or so away from it but after shopping there several times, I decided I don't like going in there very much.

I don't care for some of the employees, I just don't like to deal with them. They don't have self checkout, so you have to deal with whoever they may have on duty.

They have a lot of bulk foods but most of it is not organic.

Their meat is so-so. Poultry that's vegan fed, and non organic, so, it probably contains GMOs, but the staff can't answer that question.

The staff doesn't seem too educated on GMOs, etc. It's one of those stores where all the workers seem to be junk food addicts and they don't like organic foods, "they just work there".

They have a lot of gourmet type foods and most of it's really expensive.

I grade a store on many factors. The courtesy of it's employees is as important to me as the quality of the food they sell and the prices.

Their organic popcorn is the worst tasting popcorn I've ever had. I mean, it's terrible. I took some back for a refund many months ago and a few months later I bought some more, just to see if they had found a better source, but they had not. They're still selling that terrible tasting organic popcorn!

All in all, I don't find it a good idea to go there to buy 1 or 2 things that may be on sale. I prefer to shop at Kroger and Ingles which both have as much or more organic produce, dairy, meats, and whole grains.

Pros: Location

Cons: Uneducated staff, Lack of organics, Staff not that friendly

Don't be fooled by the name - Edit

The one time I visited "The Fresh Market" I was expecting to find a typical health food store. What this store actually has to offer is the typical fare of any commercial/chain grocery. Nothing about their "fresh" food is very healthy. Everything contains the same high fructose corn syrup, Monsanto's best genetically modified ingredients , preservatives, artificial colors and flavors, pesticide and bovine hormone infused milk, etc. I would support a store that offers fresh, organic, healthy food. Until then, the Fresh Market is Kroger, is Ingles, is Food Lion. Save your money and shop at a less costly chain for the same quality food.

Return to Johnson City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Fresh Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.