The Free From Bakehouse

• Bakery Bakery
+44-7927-258978

Borough Market, London, England

Offers some treats free from dairy, eggs, wheat or sugar. Try the vegan "rocky road." Open Thu-Sat 10:00am-6:00pm.

First Review by Jayneisastarr

Limited but tasty vegan range - Edit

The Free From Bakehouse is predominantly gluten-free rather than vegan, but the vegan options are easy to find as everything is well-labelled. I had a pear and stem ginger muffin and a salted caramel apricot cupcake. The cupcake was absolutely brilliant! I chose it mostly for the caramelly-ness but it was so so nice, I'm a bit sad I only got one - though ask the servers for a napkin as it is pretty sticky. I also spotted a vegan rocky road, a brownie and a mango coconut cheesecake.

Pros: Awesome cupcake, Products well labelled

Cons: Lack of napkins!, Hopefully more vegan products coming

FANTASTIC TASTE AND A GOOD SELECTION! - Edit

Wonderful vegan cakes, cruelty free and it feels like you get awarded instantly taking a bite! I tried the Lemon meringue cupcake and it was heavy, tasty and just how a cupcake should taste.
TRY IT!!!

Pros: amazing taste , delicious cake , several vegan ones

Cons: could have even more if you ask me ;)

Free from most things except egg! - Edit

The Free from Bakehouse has a few vegan options: a banana and choc-chip loaf, flapjack, rock road, usually one small cupcake and a raisin and rosemary cookie. This is a lot more than they used to have admittedly, however I still find it strange that 80% of their products use eggs. They seem to be much more focused on gluten free and dairy free and I'm surprised that over the years they have only made a few additions to the vegan selection.

If you're at Borough Market it might be worth checking out, but I would not recommend a special trip to this stall.

Pros: Vegan rocky road , Only dessert option at Borough Market

Cons: Limited vegan options, Offerings rarely change

Avatar freefrombakehse

freefrombakehse 05 Aug 2015 - Hi, I came across your comment and thought I'd reply so that you are more informed on our vegan options. We are first & foremost a dedicated GF bakery, followed by dairy-free, then equally where poss, a sugar free and/or vegan bakery. 3 of the 5 products you quote are sugar free to meet customer demands, 4 are nut free too and only 1 has soya. Sorry you missed our vegan sugar free blueberry muffins which we've had for 9 months - they sell out fast. Removing gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, sugar and in some cases soya can be challenging but we like a challenge :-) In addition to these 6 items, we have 2 additional vegan products that we introduce seasonally - a sugar free Tahini flapjack and a rich boozy Xmas cake! Borough Market has very strict policies on what can be sold there and everything needs to be submitted for sampling/testing. This Food Panel does not meet regularly so often a LOT of time passes by! We have been working on a vegan brownie; a pumpkin loaf and granola - the latter 2 items not only being vegan but also sugar free. These are available later this month at Borough. We also make vegan birthday cakes & other vegan cupcakes to order. As we don't (yet) have a shop, staff can only carry a portable fridge - it would be great to offer hot savoury vegan snacks but we are limited to our set-up on a market stall. Based on this information, we hope you will understand our limitations and make a trip to our stall next time you are in the area. Kind regards, Caroline, The Free Bakehouse.

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Free From Bakehouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2066 times.