The Fragrance of the Heart - Fritjof Nansens Plass

Contact +47-22332310

Fritjof Nansens Plass 2 (at town hall plaza), Oslo, Norway, 0160

Coffee shop and vegetarian cafe serving a variety of vegetarian dishes, vegan soups, coffee, and beverages. Relaxed atmosphere. English spoken by staff. Open Mon-Wed 7:30am-6:00pm, Thu-Fri 7:30am-7:00pm, Sat 10:00am-7:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, European, Norweigean

First Review by kamikazekid

nice place with healthy vegan food - Edit

when I came there, they had several pies to choose from, plus the dishes of the day. about the pies I'm not sure, but as i was told everything of the daily menu was vegan. there would have been two soups, but i decided for the beetroot "burger".
despite my expectations of getting a burger, it was only the pattie, plus some special rice and salad. it was very tasty, though the pattie was maybe a little bit dry. Nonetheless I'd definitely recommend the place and would come back myself :)

Pros: healthy vegan food, cozy atmosphere

Cons: bit dry burger pattie, but that might have just b

excellent vegan, gluten and sugarfree choc cake! - Edit

Lots of choice of savoury and sweet treats. Really nice and generous soy cappuccino. Lovely staff. Central location, just behind town hall. Highly recommended

Vegetarian Restaurant in Oslo - Edit

Um excelente restaurante vegetariano no Centro de Oslo mesmo ao lado da Câmara e perto do mar. Um espaço que transmite paz e harmonia a quem chega. Pratos bem confeccionados com um toque a especiarias.
Sem duvida a repetir.

Not a lot of options, but great for a quick bite - Edit

This vegetarian cafe did not have a lot of vegan options, but they were definitely interesting. There was a vegan, gluten-free pie made with sweet potato, quinoa and lentils. Then the beetroot coconut soup was also great. Not a lot of variety but definitely recommended for a quick bite.

Pros: Relatively original dishes

Cons: Not a lot of vegan options

Well, if you ain't got anywhere else to go.... - Edit

The interior looks terrible, the atmosphere is not very inviting...It felt like the café of an indoor public pool. The posters and pictures they have there are not very cozy, actually I found them quite creepy. The staff was not friendly and the food was "meh". There are better places in Oslo than this one, but if you can't find them and you're desperate, then I guess this is OK.

Pros: Location, Vegan friendly

Cons: Atmosphere, Interior , Staff

Nice and vegan-friendly - Edit

I went there for breakfast and for lunch on the same day, so I really liked it, but it's also so hard to find vegan food at Oslo that it was nice to know at least one safe place. I had a hommus pie (really tasty and filling), a chocalate ball (good) and some soup (only ok). The staff is extremely kind.

Cons: no wifi

Very pleasant - Edit

Hubby and I ate here after doing the coach trip tour of Oslo; we tripped over it by accident after booking the tour, so were pleased to see that the opening hours would accomodate us at the end of the tour.
At 15:30 ish, there was a choice of food and we settled on a slice of polenta cake, warmed, stuffed with vegetables ( gave me an idea so I have been out shopping, since coming home, and have polenta....) and salad, and a drink each. The cake was delicious, and then we had to have pudding - a slice of cheesecake and blueberry pie. Absolutely scrummy, the staff were lovely, nothing was too much trouble and their English was perfect. Highly recommend - nice spot, handy to go and sit and watch the harbour, or visit the City Hall.

Pros: Friendly English speaking staff, Scrummy food!, Nice and clean

Pretty handy - Edit

Of the two in this chain this is the smaller, more 'cafe' branch. Not much to choose from, and the guy looked at me funny for wanting a glass of cold soy milk.

But the cherry apple pie was delicious (except for the crust which was hard and awful). It's part of the Sri Chinmoy cult.

Pros: decent, good location next to city hall

Cons: boring, almost no selection, not all vegan

Nice little cafe but not so great for vegans - Edit

I came here for a quick bite to eat and a coffee at lunchtime during a trip to Oslo, and ended up with a piece of apple-cherry pie and a black coffee. It was good food but I was slightly disappointed to see that the vegan options were pretty limited and that they even charged extra for using soy milk (Nkr 5)! It's a handy central location for a quick snack and drink in a nice, bright and airy space, but I wouldn't rate it especially highly as a vegetarian/vegan venue.

Pros: Nice vegan pie, Good coffee, Bright, airy, central location

Cons: Charge Nkr 5 extra for soy milk!, Limited vegan options

Disappointing - Edit

We went to The Fragrance of the Heart because it seemed to have good reviews. When we got there, it was inside some sort of mall. Everything is pre-made and wrapped in plastic. We ordered a "veggie burger," an avocado wrap, and two bottles of water which cost us about $30 USD. The veggie burger was open faced and served to me cold, but did taste pretty good. The avocado wrap was mainly lettuce with one bite of avocado and a gummy tortilla. The table we sat at had quite a few gnats that we had to brush away from us.

For vegetarians the place to be - Edit

Nice and obviously quite popular restaurant in the city center, close to the city hall.

The place is mainly ovo-lacto and has the same dishes as the "GlasMagasinet" branch.

The owners are inspired by some spiritual leader, and vegetarism is part of the philosophy - veganism isn't. An owner (?) told me that he does not believe veganism is a good idea. In spite of this they do have a few vegan dishes on their changing menu. I have been here three times and I had a vegan quiche with salad, beetroot "borscht" and two different sorts of cake, all of this was quite good. The staff seems to be more aware which dishes are vegan and which aren't than the staff at "GlasMagazinet".

Friendly staff. Nice details like free tap water from a designer tap.

For vegetarians for sure "the place to be".

Pros: good for vegetarians, nice staff, great location

Cons: limited vegan options

Not recommended for vegans - Edit

Nice place, nice staff, nice prices. However, the only reason I go there is because there aren't really any other places that serve a range of vegan foods in Oslo. I always ask the staff if something is vegan, and I have had it happen twice now that I've eaten something, come back and asked again and a different member of staff has told me it's not vegan. This is the last time I'll be going to this place. I would definitely recommend avoiding for vegans unless you want to get them to check every meal with the kitchen.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Inexperienced staff, Have been told non-vegan food is vegan

Very good cosy place - Edit

You should definitely check this place for lunch or early dinner if you are in Oslo. Nice tweak with relaxing Indian music and quite tidy inside. Staff is very friendly and English-speaking. Good things for lunch - like hot vegetable soups, but also things for raw foodist - like some sort of raw pizzas/pies and sallads.

Pros: Not that far from center, raw food, awesome staff and atmosphere

Cons: no label outside - hard to find building

Loved itñ - Edit

Really nice veggie-friendly place in Oslo - shame they're only open until around 5pm. The guy who worked there was super friendly and the food (I had a huge piece of quiche with salad and a really nice tahini dressing) was tasty and filling, and reasonably priced for Oslo (the most expensive country I've ever been to in terms of food!). I'd definitely come back :)

Pros: nice food, nice staff, not too expensive for Oslo

Worth A Visit - Edit

For tourists in Oslo this is a must-visit; it's in the center of the action downtown and the staff are friendly and speak English. There are always lots of vegan options, just ask. Take a trip to the bathroom downstairs to see a big bank vault door if you are easily entertained like me.

Pros: healthy, good price, location

veggie haven close to city hall - Edit

this place isn't just close to city hall, it's directly behind it. not a very extensive menu, but enough is offered here to grab a meal or just a quick snack. i ordered the veggie burger off of their menu and my husband ordered the vegan daily special of caribbean stew. if you're vegan, be sure to order the veggie burger without cheese and mayo (as they're not listed as ingredients on the menu). the burger was pretty good...it was a handmade patty with lettuce and tomato on a nice toasty bun. the stew my husband got was more exotic than my burger. served on top of a bowl full of rice it had lots of root vegetables in a flavorful and slightly spicy sauce. service was quick and friendly and sitting outside offered a great view of city hall and people passing by.

inside their case, they offered some baked goods such as cookies and brownies if you're just looking to grab a coffee and something sweet.

Pros: close to lots of tourist attractions, fast, friendly

Cons: a bit expensive

Return to Oslo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Fragrance of the Heart - Fritjof Nansens Plass closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.