The Fragrance of the Heart - Fritjof Nansens Plass

Contact +47-22332310

Fritjof Nansens Plass 2 (at town hall plaza), Oslo, Norway, 0160

Coffee shop and vegetarian cafe serving a variety of vegetarian dishes, vegan soups, coffee, and beverages. Relaxed atmosphere. English spoken by staff. Mon-Wed 7:30am-6:00pm, Thu-Fri 7:30am-7:00pm, Sat 10:00am-7:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, European, Norweigean

First Review by

excellent vegan, gluten and sugarfree choc cake! - Edit

Lots of choice of savoury and sweet treats. Really nice and generous soy cappuccino. Lovely staff. Central location, just behind town hall. Highly recommended

Vegetarian Restaurant in Oslo - Edit

Um excelente restaurante vegetariano no Centro de Oslo mesmo ao lado da Câmara e perto do mar. Um espaço que transmite paz e harmonia a quem chega. Pratos bem confeccionados com um toque a especiarias.
Sem duvida a repetir.

Not a lot of options, but great for a quick bite - Edit

This vegetarian cafe did not have a lot of vegan options, but they were definitely interesting. There was a vegan, gluten-free pie made with sweet potato, quinoa and lentils. Then the beetroot coconut soup was also great. Not a lot of variety but definitely recommended for a quick bite.

Pros: Relatively original dishes

Cons: Not a lot of vegan options

Well, if you ain't got anywhere else to go.... - Edit

The interior looks terrible, the atmosphere is not very inviting...It felt like the café of an indoor public pool. The posters and pictures they have there are not very cozy, actually I found them quite creepy. The staff was not friendly and the food was "meh". There are better places in Oslo than this one, but if you can't find them and you're desperate, then I guess this is OK.

Pros: Location, Vegan friendly

Cons: Atmosphere, Interior , Staff

Nice and vegan-friendly - Edit

I went there for breakfast and for lunch on the same day, so I really liked it, but it's also so hard to find vegan food at Oslo that it was nice to know at least one safe place. I had a hommus pie (really tasty and filling), a chocalate ball (good) and some soup (only ok). The staff is extremely kind.

Cons: no wifi

Very pleasant - Edit

Hubby and I ate here after doing the coach trip tour of Oslo; we tripped over it by accident after booking the tour, so were pleased to see that the opening hours would accomodate us at the end of the tour.
At 15:30 ish, there was a choice of food and we settled on a slice of polenta cake, warmed, stuffed with vegetables ( gave me an idea so I have been out shopping, since coming home, and have polenta....) and salad, and a drink each. The cake was delicious, and then we had to have pudding - a slice of cheesecake and blueberry pie. Absolutely scrummy, the staff were lovely, nothing was too much trouble and their English was perfect. Highly recommend - nice spot, handy to go and sit and watch the harbour, or visit the City Hall.

Pros: Friendly English speaking staff, Scrummy food!, Nice and clean

Pretty handy - Edit

Of the two in this chain this is the smaller, more 'cafe' branch. Not much to choose from, and the guy looked at me funny for wanting a glass of cold soy milk.

But the cherry apple pie was delicious (except for the crust which was hard and awful). It's part of the Sri Chinmoy cult.

Pros: decent, good location next to city hall

Cons: boring, almost no selection, not all vegan

Nice little cafe but not so great for vegans - Edit

I came here for a quick bite to eat and a coffee at lunchtime during a trip to Oslo, and ended up with a piece of apple-cherry pie and a black coffee. It was good food but I was slightly disappointed to see that the vegan options were pretty limited and that they even charged extra for using soy milk (Nkr 5)! It's a handy central location for a quick snack and drink in a nice, bright and airy space, but I wouldn't rate it especially highly as a vegetarian/vegan venue.

Pros: Nice vegan pie, Good coffee, Bright, airy, central location

Cons: Charge Nkr 5 extra for soy milk!, Limited vegan options

Disappointing - Edit

We went to The Fragrance of the Heart because it seemed to have good reviews. When we got there, it was inside some sort of mall. Everything is pre-made and wrapped in plastic. We ordered a "veggie burger," an avocado wrap, and two bottles of water which cost us about $30 USD. The veggie burger was open faced and served to me cold, but did taste pretty good. The avocado wrap was mainly lettuce with one bite of avocado and a gummy tortilla. The table we sat at had quite a few gnats that we had to brush away from us.

For vegetarians the place to be - Edit

Nice and obviously quite popular restaurant in the city center, close to the city hall.

The place is mainly ovo-lacto and has the same dishes as the "GlasMagasinet" branch.

The owners are inspired by some spiritual leader, and vegetarism is part of the philosophy - veganism isn't. An owner (?) told me that he does not believe veganism is a good idea. In spite of this they do have a few vegan dishes on their changing menu. I have been here three times and I had a vegan quiche with salad, beetroot "borscht" and two different sorts of cake, all of this was quite good. The staff seems to be more aware which dishes are vegan and which aren't than the staff at "GlasMagazinet".

Friendly staff. Nice details like free tap water from a designer tap.

For vegetarians for sure "the place to be".

Pros: good for vegetarians, nice staff, great location

Cons: limited vegan options

Not recommended for vegans - Edit

Nice place, nice staff, nice prices. However, the only reason I go there is because there aren't really any other places that serve a range of vegan foods in Oslo. I always ask the staff if something is vegan, and I have had it happen twice now that I've eaten something, come back and asked again and a different member of staff has told me it's not vegan. This is the last time I'll be going to this place. I would definitely recommend avoiding for vegans unless you want to get them to check every meal with the kitchen.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Inexperienced staff, Have been told non-vegan food is vegan

Very good cosy place - Edit

You should definitely check this place for lunch or early dinner if you are in Oslo. Nice tweak with relaxing Indian music and quite tidy inside. Staff is very friendly and English-speaking. Good things for lunch - like hot vegetable soups, but also things for raw foodist - like some sort of raw pizzas/pies and sallads.

Pros: Not that far from center, raw food, awesome staff and atmosphere

Cons: no label outside - hard to find building

Loved itñ - Edit

Really nice veggie-friendly place in Oslo - shame they're only open until around 5pm. The guy who worked there was super friendly and the food (I had a huge piece of quiche with salad and a really nice tahini dressing) was tasty and filling, and reasonably priced for Oslo (the most expensive country I've ever been to in terms of food!). I'd definitely come back :)

Pros: nice food, nice staff, not too expensive for Oslo

Worth A Visit - Edit

For tourists in Oslo this is a must-visit; it's in the center of the action downtown and the staff are friendly and speak English. There are always lots of vegan options, just ask. Take a trip to the bathroom downstairs to see a big bank vault door if you are easily entertained like me.

Pros: healthy, good price, location

veggie haven close to city hall - Edit

this place isn't just close to city hall, it's directly behind it. not a very extensive menu, but enough is offered here to grab a meal or just a quick snack. i ordered the veggie burger off of their menu and my husband ordered the vegan daily special of caribbean stew. if you're vegan, be sure to order the veggie burger without cheese and mayo (as they're not listed as ingredients on the menu). the burger was pretty good...it was a handmade patty with lettuce and tomato on a nice toasty bun. the stew my husband got was more exotic than my burger. served on top of a bowl full of rice it had lots of root vegetables in a flavorful and slightly spicy sauce. service was quick and friendly and sitting outside offered a great view of city hall and people passing by.

inside their case, they offered some baked goods such as cookies and brownies if you're just looking to grab a coffee and something sweet.

Pros: close to lots of tourist attractions, fast, friendly

Cons: a bit expensive

A peace island in Oslo - Edit

I was the first time in Oslo and in lunch time went to Akker bryge, but than near the City hall I saw an elegant place - coffee shop -„The Fragrance of the heart". Of course at the beginning my mind started to wondering "Oh, it's just another coffe shop, but You are not drinking coffee and even can not to smell a coffee flavour."
But there I get even a dicafe capuchino with wonderfull flower on the top of cup..., delicious "Red beet coco nut" soup and very tasty cake "Gulrotkake". All together it costed only 130NOK wich for lunch meal in Norway is nothing.
I felt a peacfull atmosphere, real smiles of witers!
Next time I will lead there my friends amd my wife, too.

Pros: Menu, Servis, Music

Cons: More tables, Bar lette at window, A flags in wich languages stuff talks!

Peaceful atmosphere, great soups - Edit

Although the place is in the very center of town, right next to the town hall, it has a very peaceful and quiet atmosphere. They have a limited range of dishes; two main dishes usually including rice, two soups, and a few cakes and other treats. I especially like their soups (they are usually always vegan), they are rich in taste and quite filling. When I feel a little down, I go there to fill myself with good and healthy food, and lots of positive energy.

healthy and simple - Edit

I had rice with beans and soup- all yummy. It was very crowded with families when I was there. As a solo traveller I felt more comfortable at their Glassmagasinet location.

Pros: healthy, good value, friendly staff

Nothing special but quite convenient - Edit

This little cafe is conveniently situated near the city hall and the main street. In a city where it was challenging to find vegan food, The Fragrance of the Heart provided some alternatives... unfortunately not very good ones. We tried both soups on offer (lukewarm and not very tasty) and some vegan pastries (pretty average) and were left quite disappointed with what we had hoped would be a satisfying vegan meal.

At least we were happy with the teas and soy hot chocolate, not irrelevant considering the freezing temperatures outside!

Fast Food that is Delicious and Nutritious - Edit

The Fragrance of the Heart offers a curry of the day, plus soups, sandwiches, and a salad. I had chickpeas with basmati rice and bean soup and salad. The salad was simple, black olives, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce that was fresh and green. The chickpeas were delicious. They also have a variety of desserts. I ate a chocolate peanut butter ball with sesame seeds and a chocolate covered puffed rice treat. Both were very yummy. They have vegan and gluten-free dessert options. Everything is expensive in Norway but 99 to 139 kroner for a meal is about average for the city of Oslo. It's affordable compared to some other restaurants.

Pros: Fast and delicious food, Cozy atmosphere

Cons: Small dining area, No selection of main dishes

Nice cafe outside city hall - Edit

I ate here twice while visiting Oslo recently. I had a very good veggie and cheese baguette sandwich the first time, and a delicious Indian vegan lentil soup the second. They also offered a curry dish, which might have been vegan, a couple different quiches (obviously not vegan) and several sandwiches, one of which might have been vegan but most had cheese or egg on. The two soups were both vegan. Be prepared that the fresh-squeezed lemonade is hardly sweetened at all. Also, I ordered the soup with bread, and they only had a single piece of stale bread left. Bummer. Other than that, the coffee was good and I liked the ambiance.

Pros: Good coffee, Fresh-tasting food, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Stale bread

DELICIOUS AND FRIENDLY! - Edit

Delicious food and beverages, very friendly service and a very relaxing atmosphere with soft meditative music. Everything is home made, you can really taste it. Prices are very affordable too.

This is an oasis in the hectic city well worth a visit.
They are opening another Fragrance of the heart cafee in Glassmagasinet also in Oslo. Cannot wait to try it too next time we visit there.

Pros: excellent food, very friendly service, relaxing atmosphere

Peaceful and relaxing place - Edit

First veggie place i tried to locate here while being in Oslo. Came there just 5 min after 6 pm and it was closed but the staff was very helpful and easy going and let me in anyway. Enjoyed a delicious bowl of carrot soup and had some spinach quiche with dark olives and some greek salad on the side, very taste and very affordable. Cost was like no more than 15 euro, easy to find if you just go to the harbor and you face the city it's just nxt to the town hall. Relaxed place with nice meditation music.

Pros: atmosphere, great affordable food, cheap

Cons: helpful staff, quick service

Their lunch combo was good and easy on the pocket - Edit

I had a well-sized bowl of homemade Greek Lentil soup here together with a Spinach quiche with olives and Feta cheese. It was actually surprisingly delicious. And for Norway I must say it was a good price: 89 kr. The soup on its own would have been 50 kr, which is not bad either, considering its size.

The staff were very friendly.

I really liked just sitting there soaking in the atmosphere. The cafe walls are light blue and together with the soothing music they play I felt kind of like I was eating in the sky, a nice experience.

I had their Chocolate Dream Cake as desert (the name is justified :0), with a cup of rooibush tea. I liked the mug the tea was served in. It was bright yellow, with different positive words like joy, love and gratitude painted on it. I actually liked it so much that I bought one of them which they had for sale.

A positive place and a positive experience.

Pros: peaceful atmosphere, good value lunch offers, the place made me happy

Wonderful place and much needed - Edit

Fragrance of the Heart was hands down the best veggie place we found in Oslo. Whether it was a full meal or just snacks and coffee the staff were really helpful and the atmosphere in the shop is really relaxing. Thanks to them I was able to get my soya latte fix! Yes, it's pretty expensive but this is Oslo!!

Pros: Great food, Friendly and knowledgable staff, Soya milk option!

Cons: Price

Aaahhh! - Edit

I had been having trouble finding vegetarian food in Norway, but not here! I had a lovely roasted potato soup as my entree. DH had the best rice pudding that he's ever had out, but his savory pastry wasn't outstanding.

I was also absolutely delighted to find *decaf* espresso and soy milk! The staff were friendly, helpful, and patient. The cafe is bright and cheerful as well as conveniently located.

Pros: decaf espresso, soy milk, flavorful food

Cons: not open very late

Return to Oslo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Fragrance of the Heart - Fritjof Nansens Plass closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6209 times since Aug 2007.