The Fox Haggerston

Contact 07807 217734

372 Kingsland Rd, East London, England, E8 4DA

Serves meat, vegan options available. Meat centered menu labels their vegan options (burger, starters) but they also do vegan roast on Sundays. The Fox also serves a wide range of vegan craft beers, ales, and ciders from the breweries locally and internationally. Food has an emphasis on local suppliers. Open Mon-Fri 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 1:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, English, Non-veg

First Review by kezia

Friendly pub with a Vegan Roast option - Edit

A friend and I made a special trip to The Fox pub in Haggerston, after hearing about the vegan roast they had on offer. A good vegan English Sunday lunch is something I'm always on the look out for. This pub (which also serves meat) had gone to the trouble to make a roast possible for vegans- I had to try it. It is a very large pub, with a beautiful roof terrace. They serve many craft beers, ales & ciders and have a good selection of wines. They even have a beer vending machine which was quite fun.
O.k, on to the food…We started with a sharing platter consisting of pita bread, dips, olives, homemade hummus (which was lovely), pesto and chutney. I asked if the pesto was vegan? I was initially told 'yes' by the guy who served me. I know vegan pesto exists, but somehow I felt the need to double check & sure enough, it was not vegan! However, the pesto was replaced with a nice guacamole. We enjoyed the starter and it was nicely presented. For main I had the Courgette and Nut Roast, served with crispy roast potatoes, orange and cinnamon carrots, broccoli and red cabbage. I would have loved a Yorkshire pudding, but sadly there was not a vegan option for this. I started tucking in, but came across a piece of plastic, about 2 inches long, I put it to the side of my plate and carried on, however minutes later I found another! I was enjoying the meal but it was a real put off to find this, and not very nice if accidentally swallowed. I showed the waiter and the plastic was identified as bristles from the pastry glazing brush that the kitchen use to glaze over the nut roast. However one of the bristles was actually inside the nut roast. I literally pulled it out! They instantly took my plate and said they would get me another, I said I didn't want a slice from the same batch of Nut roast. I was assured that they had a different one to cut into, so I agreed to have it. The second nut roast seemed to have large chunks of red onion in it, which I'm not keen on. The previous one with the bristles didn't contain onion - maybe just not my day?? The kitchen apologised and gave me some chips and a drink on the house. Nice gesture but after just having a masses of roast potatoes with roast and veg, chips were the last thing we wanted. but spite this I would recommend other vegans to go and try the Roast as everyone is going to have different taste and experience. I would be Interested to hear what they think. During the week the vegan options vary. check on the day you are

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-05

Pros: Completely Vegan Roast Option, Great selection of craft beers, Superb location/Roof terrace

Cons: No vegan deserts , You can't book a table on Terrace

Return to East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Fox Haggerston closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 138 times since Aug 2016.