CLOSED: The Forest Food Lounge

07-38466181

124 Boundary St, West End, Brisbane, Queensland,

Brisbane vegan restaurant serving simple meals with salads, hot food, desserts, and pie; some gluten-free. Relaxed atmosphere. Vegan except dairy milk for coffee and smoothies. REPORTED CLOSED, OCT 2016. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Petesternz

could be so much better - Edit

I really wanted to rate this highly but both times I've been there, the food has been lukewarm and just ok, plus today I bought a cupcake to take away which is so stale I can't even get the wrapper off. It's probably been there for a week.
If you have a big sign saying 'vegan food' outside, please lift your game because you are not representing it well!

Cheap and filling - Edit

I have been going to The Forest for years. I always enjoy the food and like the selection. The cheesecake and potato salad are a personal favourite. Service can be rather slow and there is sometimes a bit of a language barrier.

Pros: Cheap , Good selection, Nice food

Cons: Slow service , Sometimes hard to order, Basic decor

Cheap, Good, Vegan and Veggie food - Edit

Love this place. Always good stuff on offer and not way out of budget.

Appaling - Edit

Went in for a drink because it was the only veg food establishment open at 10:30am in that area, and we wanted milkshakes. The decor was tired though tolerable. The staff member serving us had English that was only just good enough, looked bored, was unhelpful, and treated us as if we were idiots for wanting options that were on the menu but weren't available, and he made no apology for those options not being there.

Considering how busy the place was (read "not"), it took a very long time for our drinks to arrive, as we sat and listened to the hum of various electrical appliances. When they finally did arrive, we were greeted with a mediocre chocolate milkshake and a downright terrible iced chai. The chai was made entirely on water, was extremely bitter, and had a little pathetic scoop of So Good on top. I didn't finish it - even with lots of added sugar, it was nasty.

Would give one star if I could.

Cons: Terrible service, Nasty drinks, Not a nice environment

Cupcakes - Edit

Not the best cupcakes. I had a mixed fruit one and it was very dense/solid. I have tasted much better.

Poor all round - Edit

Terrible decor, chipped crockery, tepid food, worst ambience I've ever experienced.
Only good thing about the place is its name.

Pros: Central

Cons: Not hot enough, Run down, No presentation skill whatsoever

Quiet, Mediocre, Pricey - Edit

I've been to The Forest 3 or 4 times over the last few years. There's no music in this small restaurant, which makes things feel super wrong. The staff are pretty blunt. The food is very expensive for what you get (although it's not terrible). Not my favourite place to go, I've only been there recently out of desperation.

Decent, simple vegan food - Edit

This isn't the most exciting place to eat, but it has quite an extensive menu and the quality of the food is pretty good. The pies are nice but are not cooked fresh (same goes for the curries and some of the other hot food). The salads are excellent. They can make sandwiches, burgers and fresh juices to your specifications. The cakes looked great but I didn't mange to try them. All menu items are inexpensive by Australian standards.

Contrary to the information in the listing, Forest Food Lounge was open when we visited on a Monday and we were told that it was open every day.

Pros: Quick and convenient, Good value

Cons: Not the most imaginative menu, Lack of atmosphere

very impressed - Edit

Loved the food here! Large portions and great value for money. I especially enjoyed the lemon potato salad:-)

Pretty Good - Edit

I had a burger which was pretty yummy

Pros: Good selection, Prices pretty good, Friendly staff

Cons: Very hot inside in summer

Vegan Food - Edit

Yummy food! It was a bit dead as it was early, should consider some brekky options. Food took a while with no customers and it was really hot. There were air cons but not on!

Pros: Yummy Vegan Food, Good Prices, Good Location

Cons: Too hot - turn the a/c on, No Breakfast menu, Average customer service

Average everything - Edit

This joint could be so much better. The food is nice though nothing special. I've always eaten here when I'm super hungry and it would easily leave me satisfied.

The Forest would be nicer if the place was less drab. Music? nope. Forest? not in the slightest. Fresh? was.

Pros: Quick fast food, Good value, easily accesable

Cons: Lacks life and vitality, some meals bland

Flavourful and filling - Edit

I've been travelling for a week and cobbling meals together so was excited to find this vegan only cafe.

It's a simple set up and lacking atmosphere but it makes up for it on the food side. I grabbed a few takeaway items and wished I could have gotten more.

I had the Forest Wrap with both the vege pattie and tempeh. The satay sauce went surprisingly well on this fresh and very filling combo.

The samosa was easily the best I'd had (why did I only get one?!) and the vege patties a handy takeaway for my substitute at a friends BBQ that night (held together well and lots of veg and flavour). These items are also incredibly cheap which was a bonus.

Tip: convenient, simple, recommend takeaway rather than eat in

Pros: Cheap, Convenient, Flavourful

Cons: Atmosphere

Great Ginger Dahl! - Edit

I am a sucker for the ginger dahl and detox salad as part of the forest plate. Good options available with the certainly that the food is completely vegetarian with no hidden potential animal products! The fresh juices are definitely worth a whirl too!

Pros: Great Food, Great Value, Good Location

Cons: Cash only

When there is nothing else available... - Edit

the forest a good choice for a quick forest burger and chips and well that's it really. I think the forest burger for $4.50 is really yumm and the chips are pretty good everything else I've tried there so far was more or less pretty disappointing. We had the big breakfast for two once and the beans were so salty that we had to return it. If you want a quick curry for take away or crave a quick burger it's fine but I wouldn't recommend this place for a great dinner/breakfast experience. Staff doesn't really care and it's not really a place that makes you feel comfortable and cosy.

Pros: Cheap burger, Good chips, Cheap

Cons: Atmosphere, Staff, Food is of poor quality

They're like... whatevs.. - Edit

As many are already saying - those running the store seem to have a lack of interest. The place looks grubby, they are on their phones all the time. If they spent that time looking after the joint it would be much better.

I got a burger which was still cold inside. The kind lady immediately offered to replace (accepted) and even refund the cost (refused) but, still, why should this happen?

Some option do taste good though.

Also, they do have cow-juice for milkshakes / coffee, so not fully vegan.

Pros: Some decent options

Cons: Unkempt, Not fully vegan

very disappointing - Edit

it's bland, looks like the food has been sitting there for a week, the waitress served me 2 nights in a row while she was on her phone, and the restaurant is a disappointment. When these guys cater at other events the food is great and fresh....but the service and food is very disappointing, and has been for some time.

Cons: disinterested staff, crusty food, lose the bay marie

Good food, boring venue - Edit

The food is awesome and cheap and even offer some gluten free options but the cafe is dull and a little grubby, staff is less than welcoming. A place to stop for a quick and delicious lunch but don't bring your friends or family here if you are looking for atmosphere.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Boring

Return to Brisbane Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Forest Food Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.