The Food Temple

Contact 0218874397

Beco do Jasmim 18, Lisbon, Portugal, 1100-289

Small restaurant tucked in a residential square in historic Mouraria neighborhood. Dinner is served in the way of changing tapas with a daily main dish as well. Groups of 7+ diners must book in advance, and in general reservations are recommended. Kitchen closes 11pm. Open Wed-Sun 7:30pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, European, Portuguese

First Review by chrdold

Good food, not that many options on the menu - Edit

Although everything we tried was very tasty, the menu itself wasn't impressing at all. There was one soup, 3 starters, only one main dish and 3 desserts.
Secondly, we experienced quite bad service. In the beginning the waiter brought us soup by mistake and told us it was free. My boyfriend ate it but I didn't and informed the other waitress that we didn't even get the menu and didn't order the soup. They apologized, of course, but then brought bread and olives for my boyfriend who only ordered bread with olive oil. Afterwards we got charged for the soup as well as the olives. I have worked as a waitress myself and find it very unprofessional to charge clients for your own mistakes.
The place was also very small and packed only 30 minutes after opening, so if you go, definetely reserve a table beforehand.

Excellent place! - Edit

This restaurant was great! Delicious food and a friendly staff. It gets crowded, so make sure to make a reservation. Looking forward to going back the next time I am in Lisbon!

Pros: Great food., Friendly staff.

A hidden gem - Edit

Really happy to have discovered this charming little restaurant away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. The food was delicious (and also pretty special!) and the service was great. Even my non-vegan friend was impressed.

Great spot - Edit

I came by on a wednesday night around 8pm and it was pretty packed. Luckily I had called ahead and go reserved for 2 spots in the shared table.
I ordered a soup which was good. Then the 3 tapas came which were incredible (1st: Black rice over a semi sweet coconut cream sauce with mangos on top, 2nd:Mushrooms with green and crunchy quinoa on top, 3rd: Pea puree with sundried tomato and leeks on top.
Main course which probably wasn't necessary. Was good but not as special as the tapas. It was white rice with a black bean, pumpkin and soy chunks.
The tapas were very well blended and innovative. WE ordered 3 desserts and it all came out to $50 euros.
I would suggest calling them when they open at 7:30 to reserve your spot.

Pros: taste, vegan, staff

Cons: busy

An Amazing Experience - Edit

First, I have to start by saying that my experience at the food the Food Temple was unbelievable. My meal was well prepared/presented, fresh and inspired with the finest ingredients.

Second, the experience is unique. I have never dined in such an intimate space and been so close to the kitchen.
The staff was friendly and professional and intimate. The experience went beyond food and was something much more.

Third, after re-reading the reviews I began to wonder if it was perhaps time for the Food Temple to consider a larger more central space?

Fourth, I found the Food Temple really got me thinking about who would enjoy it and who would not.
The only considerations I would like to add-

If you are on a tight budget and you are looking for large portions, this may not be your place.

Not easy to find. Extra preparation is needed.

Reservation Recommended.

Pros: Fresh, Inspired, Unique

Cons: Not easy on a tight budget, Hard to find, Small interior

hidden gem - Edit

Food was so good, could not get enough of it. The staff felt like family and were very fun to talk to. I'm amazed we found the place as it was hidden in a court yard connected by ally's and small roads. Glad we took the time to come here!

Pros: worth the wait

Cons: took a while to get the menu due to how busy it wa

One of the best vegan restaurants in Lisbon! - Edit

So many vegan restaurants in Lisbon now and I'm still returning here every time I go out to have dinner :)
Beautiful location, cozy restaurant, friendly staff and great variety and tasty food!
My non vegan friends love to come here and enjoy this kind of food so much, some are considering the option of becoming vegans too or at least eat less animal products :)
Keep up the good work! Can't wait to come back!

Pros: Beautiful location, cozy , great variety and tasty food

Cons: small place, better reserve a table on the busy da

Best vegan food in Lisbon - Edit

I came across The Food Temple by chance, bout ten minutes before de opening time. I decided to wait and grab something to eat, and it was a great experience. There were already some people waiting outside the door when I got there, and the place was packed minutes after it opened. So you should really get a reservation. The restaurant is really small and some tables are actually right beside yours (which is very common in Lisbon), it feels like walking into someone's living room to have dinner. The food was really fresh and the menu changes daily. Everything tasted great, but the gnocchi was something to die for. Absolutely amazing. Also, the staff was supper friendly.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly staff

Cons: The food is mainly Tapas (meaning small portions)

modern and traditional - Edit

it was not that easy to get some dinner in the food temple, because it was so crowded every day!!!
Finally we got a reservation and enjoyed, just as we were recommended, the menu consisting of soup, different tapas and one main dish for two.
Everything tasted very, very good. The dishes are traditionally portugese inspired but of course in a vegan version.

Pros: great taste, portugese flavours, friendly, alternative atmosphere

Cons: a bit too crowded / too small

You should go there! - Edit

I brought my whole (non-vegan) family and everyone loved the food. So many nice people and the atmosphere is the friendliest I have ever experienced. I cannot wait to be back in Lisboa to see what is on the menu next time!

Go there now! - Edit

I highly recommend this restaurant!

The food was all delicious and interesting! Also i was glad it was not a buffet! (which a lot of the veggie friendly restaurants in Lisbon seem to be) It was small plates so i got a soup, tapas and and entree and a dessert. Everything was delicious, but especially the cranberry cake!

The location was small and laidback, but nonetheless quite lovely with a small plaza with stone steps outside.

The staff was very attentive & friendly! It was like hanging out in your friends' kitchen while they make you dinner!

I was left feeling like i wanted to both work at this restaurant, and be a customer again!

Stop reading this review and go to there.

Pros: food, ambiance, service

Cons: none

Nice food and great atmosphere - Edit

Lovely little place tucked away in small streets. It serves tapas style food and has an open kitchen, so you can see exactly how your food is being prepared. Staff is super friendly and food is good. Excellent value for money and nice atmosphere. We had a black sesame cake with lemon custard as dessert and it was amazing! Would definitely come here again!

Pros: Vegan!, Nice vibe, Friendly staff

Cons: Very small, so make a reservation!

Amazing vegan restaurant in Lisbon - Edit

Small all-vegan, tapas-style restaurant which gets very busy (for good reason). The food is delicious and the menu always changing. We ordered one of everything and we're definitely not disappointed. Make a reservation or arrive early!

Pros: All-vegan. Delicious. Friendly staff. Cosy environ

Amazing experience - Edit

This place is a hidden gem! Unfortunately, when we arrived (just after opening time) we discovered that the restaurant was already fully booked (this is always a good sign I guess), however this turned out to be a blessing as we were offered the opportunity to eat on the steps outside, sat on some mats with a purpose-made fold-up table to rest our food and drink on. And although it was a little chilly in early-May it was a lovely experience, matched by the friendly service and good food.

A couple of tips:

1. Book in advance
2. Sit outside (especially in the summer)
3. Make sure you have Google Maps on your phone!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Good food, Friendly staff

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Food Temple closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.