The Flying Tomato

Contact 506-2479-9913

corner of Avenida 333 calle 464, La Fortuna, Costa Rica,

This vegetarian cafe is part of the Cabinas Arsol hotel (formerly Los Tres Gatos). Has a casual atmosphere. Offers soy burgers, stir frys, soups, burritos, plate of the day. Open Mon-Tue 7:30am-6:00pm, Wed-Sat 7:30am-8:00pm, Sun 7:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Western, Juice bar

First Review by beachdrive

vegan friendly spot in la fortuna - Edit

A good spot to eat vegan in La Fortuna. I went there for lunch and I was alone. I took a burger with fries. The owner kindly offered me a homemade iced tea from the garden. All the food was good. The sauce with the fries was excellent.
I had to ask to remove the cheese from the dish.
Almost all of the dishes contains basically cheese but almost everything can be prepared as vegan.
The owner is fhelpful and very sympathetic. His spanish is approximative but speak english.

Pros: almost all can be vegan, good

be happy that there is one in town - Edit

I have got lunch and dinner twice. When I arrived the television was on in this tiny spot. The menu looks extended but keeps within the borders of a snack & juice bar. Learning from other reviews i ordered mixed salad and veg curry with rkce. They bring me a green salad and the veg curry, and i had tp wait for the white (elas) rice. It tasted well. The other day i tried the hamburger. It tasted to fish oil. Sadly there's no place else in town for balanced non-meat meals.

Pros: it's veggie

Cons: difficult to find at night (map is wrong), t owner needs a course in customer experience

Hate to Disagree - Edit

Sadly we didn't think the food was good nor the ambiance. The television was on in this very small place. Saturday night and we were the only customers. I ordered vegetable curry and was served a plate of steamed vegs with a coat of curry sauce. While the sauce was pretty good the vegs we're hardly cooked and it should have been served on a bed of rice. My husband ordered vegs with saitan, always a risky choice. He was served the same steamed vegs with pieces of saitan, no sauce or rice. I wouldn't return. Sadly there's really no place else in town for non-meat meals.

Pros: nice atmosphere

Cons: dinner not very good in any way

a special place with some great people - Edit

I was traveling in Costa Rica recently and stopped in La Fortuna to find something to eat. Nice little town with plenty of places to eat, but being a vegetarian I was looking for something different from the usual fare. I went past Burger King, pizza, and chicken spots and found this little cafe called Flying Tomato. I sat outside and had a veggie pita and a fruit smoothie. Everything was really fresh. I wasn't sure when I could get back so I also got a sandwich to go with avacodo, tomato, and tofu with some fresh spinach leaves. Yeah thanks to these guys I had a great lunch. Nobody else seems to be doing it. Keep up the good work.

Pros: great value, in town, tasty food

That was fun, and the food was real good - Edit

All I want to say is that if you are a vegetarian, and in La Fortuna, go there, you will like it..........

Pros: good prices, clean and fun spot, interesting menu

Cons: not allways open, a little hard to find.

Good Veggi Food!!!!!!!! - Edit

So i just came to costa rica from the states and im a healthy veggi person.... i returned about 13 times within my 3 week stay. Afordable and god. i liked the veggi burrito and the veggi pita. the veggi burgers are also good. but i think the thing i liked the most was the happy staff. make you feel like at home... barry is the owner.. good job dude!!!

Pros: Good Food, Fast Paste, Clean

Cons: only 10 chairs no good for big family

Great Little Place - Edit

It's not easy to find vegetarian and especially vegan food in Costra Rica, but the Flying Tomato is a great little place that will do both. It's not on the main drag as others said but easy to find if you follow the signs. Run as a family place, they will make just about anything you want if they have the ingredients on hand - just ask!

Pros: Small, Flexible, Unique

Cons: Small

Authentic Costa Rican Vegetarian, casual & cheap - Edit

Visited Flying Tomato for the first time last night, it is a bit difficult to find but there are signs posted all over La Fortuna on the main roads to help you out. This little hole in the wall is run by a couple of friendly ladies who also run a small hostel-ish room rental from the same building. My wife and I both enjoyed the veggie cheeseburgers along with a couple of Imperial beers and a mixed fruit smoothie. The burgers came with some boiled potatoes, it was a very basic but enjoyable meal, away from all the tourist crap that abounds. If you're looking for a no-frills, inexpensive veggie meal near Arenal, this is a fun little spot where you can support a real Costa Rican family. We speak un poquito espanol and that will definitely help as I'm pretty sure no one working spoke any English. There is also a cute little dog that was hanging around and entertaining us, he clearly belonged to the restaurant owners and was quite friendly too. Next time we visit the La Fortuna / Arenal area, we'll definitely come back!

Pros: Good Value, Friendly Staff, Good food

Cons: Hard to find, Not a huge menu

ate a lot and liked it. - Edit

Everything we ate was very tasty, the girls were very friendly, and we got to pratice our spanish too. We had some beer and enjoyed the time we spent there.

Pros: prices we good, food was good, staff was attentive

Return to La Fortuna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Flying Tomato closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2942 times since Mar 2011.