First Review by sarahsvati

vegan cupcake and brownie heaven - Edit

The Illinois St location bakes all vegan/gluten-free stuff. One case is the vegan/GF, the other has other cuppie selections baked in other locations. I am not GF, so I went in skeptical of how delicious the cuppies would be. I had nothing to worry about. I got a dozen carrot cake cuppies for a visitor's birthday who is a carrot cake connoisseur. He is an omni and not GF, and said they were the BEST carrot cake he's ever had! And they were huge. I've had others since, and have not been disappointed. They also have the most amazing brownies ever. They can get expensive, but GF baking is expensive.

I did get one bad thing here, and it was not a cupcake or brownie. I happened to stop in on a day they were offering a pan of cinnamon rolls in their case. I had guests, so I was like freaking perfect! Well, it was not so perfect. The texture was so horrible that I threw them away. They were cooked through, but the texture still seemed raw. Flavor good, texture horrendous. Hopefully that is not something they will ever offer again, gross.

Pros: Most delicious cupcakes eer, Brownies, Carrot cake cupcakes

Cons: Expensive

Creative cupcakes, yummy flavor combinations - Edit

I won't beat around the bush: These cupcakes are expensive.

That said, there is no better place in Indy to get yummy vegan (and gf) cupcakes in such creative flavor combos. I've tried the Reeses cupcakes and the Bananas Foster and both were delicious! The texture of the banana cake was more successful than the pb cake, but the flavor was excellent in both.

So while I wouldn't spend $5 for a jumbo cupcake every day, this is a great option for the occasional treat and pick-me-up! I'm so glad it's here in Indy.

Pros: Creative flavor combos, Gourmet cupcakes

Cons: Pricey, Location is a little out of the way, Some cupcakes have a GF texture

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Flying Cupcake closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1166 times since May 2013.