CLOSED: The Flour Uprising Bakery

Contact 989-779-8000

112 N Main St (at Broadway, downtown Mt. Pleasant), Mount Pleasant, Michigan, USA, 48858

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bakery cafe making healthier baked goods with daily selections for vegans and gluten-free customers. Cafe menu includes vegan options for soups, stuffed buns, and salads. Has Wi-Fi and will take special orders. Reported closed to HappyCow, May 2015. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm, Sat 8:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by Chirplet

Little disappointing - Edit

I really wanted to be excited about this place, but the gluten free baked goods I bought just weren't very good. They may make fabulous products that contain gluten.. I didn't try any of those. They were out of many lunch items while we were there and didn't have many options to begin with. I hope I just caught them on a bad day and it is usually better for their customers. The girls working there were nice.

Pros: one of the few options listed in area, nice staff, gluten free options

Cons: disappointing food, seemed unorganized

Unfriendly - Lost a Customer Today - Edit

I participated in The Flour Uprising's Groupon promotion. I browsed their site beforehand, and I made a special trip across town to check them out this morning. I was excited to give their baked goods a try.

Once I got there, the owner said that the Groupon was only good for lunch items from their cafe menu. I handed her the Groupon and showed her that it didn't say anything about what I could buy or order from them with the Groupon (the fine print just says dine in or carryout only and that I have to use the value in one visit). The owner said that she was responsible for making the Groupon and that was what it was intended for. The interesting thing is that she admitted that the Groupon wasn't clear in the fine print about what I could buy and that it wasn't specific to buying lunch items. As a brand new customer, the right thing to do would have been to let me use it on what they sold; that's how they lost me as a future customer, today.

When I told her, politely, that I could probably get a refund on Groupon since I could not purchase what I wanted to buy, she seemed irritated with me. Seriously?

This is the way a new business loses recurring customers: inflexibility and not being careful with their promotions. I can't comment on the food because I didn't end up getting anything. The trip was a waste of gas money, and I won't be returning.

Pros: Quaint, Local, Michigan

Cons: Unfriendly, Small, Bad Promotions

Scintillating and Scrumptious - Edit

The Flour Uprising serves a broad selection of delicious baked indulgence! They regularly stock both gluten-free and vegan treats, allowing everyone the opportunity to partake in something decadent and delightful. I highly recommend the Ginger-Molasses cookies, Pumpkin Whoopies, and their Neat-Joseph buns. Their fresh, oven-baked bread is hearty, filling, and delicious, for those who want something other than grocery-store fluff. They also carry many vegetarian lunch options!

I would give 5 Happy Cows, but the system only allows a max of four cows for a restaurant that is not strictly vegetarian.

Pros: delicious food, vegan and gluten-free options, friendly staff

Return to Mount Pleasant Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Flour Uprising Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 581 times since Jun 2012.