The Egg Cafe

Contact +44-01517072755

16-18 Newington, 2F, Liverpool, England,

Casual setting on the second floor, near Central and Lime St stations. Usually 1 or 2 vegan soups daily, 3 daily specials at least 1 vegan. Menu includes vegan spicy beanburger, salads, quiche, and more. Special menu Sunday afternoon (full vegan roast). Vegan items clearly marked on the menu. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, British

First Review by child of the trees

Cosy Café - Edit

The interieur and the decoration are very convivial, the kind of place you would like to stay to chat.
The food is good, not great but for the prices (dishes of the day around 6.50£) it is very worth it. They have a regular menu and 3/4 dishes of the day and a soup.
Cake selections looked great!

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-25

Pros: Atmosphere, Fair prices, Staff

Great location, average food - Edit

The location of the Egg Cafe is pretty interesting and unique and the location pretty central. They have plenty of seating over two floors. The Cafe is set up as a self service cafe with menus at the ordering counter which makes it a bit inconvenient and difficult to decide on a meal when visiting the first time as the menu displayed is a bit chaotic. While the food offering is plentiful, offering starters, mains and desserts I was a bit disappointed by the unimaginative menu. Most things you could order you could also get as a supermarket takeaway (such as the various salads). I ordered the hummus, pita and salad plate which was tasty but again, a bit unimaginative. The atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly, inviting to hang out a bit longer.

Pros: good value for money, vegan dishes are marked, starters, mains and desserts

Cons: Unimaginative menu, Menu display inconvenient

The Real Deal - Edit

Great vegetarian cafe, with good vegan options and well priced. Located on the top floors of an old building in the city centre, the area is well lit by natural light, and has plenty of space. I will definitely visit again, next time I'm in Liverpool.

Pros: Nice vibe, Good food choices, Large space that is well lit.

Meh - Edit

The food here is really nothing to write home about. If I'm going to spend money on a meal then I want it to be better than something I could have cooked myself. Instead I got a "spicy" bean burger which was not in the least bit spicy, not in a bun, served with an odd cold pasta salad and some sad looking salad. A real disappointment as I'd heard good things.

I was also surprised that a cafe that presumably markets itself as being ethical due to being vegetarian serves brands such as coca-cola and heinz

That being said the decor is cute, the prices are very reasonable and the staff are friendly

Pros: Nice decor, Reasonably priced , Friendly staff

Cons: Pedestrian food, Odd food pairings, Works with unethical brands

Eggy eggy egg - Edit

Not going to win any culinary awards but it's been a very welcome presence for as long as I can remember. Lots for vegans, reasonable prices and a nice venue to hang out/meet up.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-06

Pros: Vegan options, Nice hangout, Cheap

Cons: Stair access only, Not a great deal of variety on menu

Simple and unpretentious - Edit

Have visited the Egg with my partner a few times, and we're always happy enough with the service and food/drinks but can't help but agree with other reviews on here that it's being overtaken by newer Vege/Vegan offerings in and around Liverpool with more ambition. The food is fairly basic and most mains appear to come with a large portion of salad/rice/pasta/hummus/couscous etc. We've visited 3 times now for Sunday lunch - the first time (around 4/5pm) was excellent. On our second visit they'd ran out of nut roast by early afternoon (2pm-ish), which was disappointing, especially as we weren't blown away by the alternative options, but we chalked it up to being busy on a bank holiday weekend. However again on our third visit they'd already ran out of nut roast by mid-afternoon which suggests that they simply need to make more! It's usually seemed busy enough to suggest that they wouldn't waste much.
The staff have always been friendly and there's usually plenty of bodies about so the service is good.

Pros: Nicely decorated cafe with relaxed vibe, Great vegan cakes!

Cons: Not a particularly adventurous menu, Seem to run out of nut roast early on sundays

Simple, tasty food. Nice cake! - Edit

Came here when visiting Liverpool and had a nice tasty pasta dish, was nothing fancy, and nothing I wouldn't have been able to make myself, but not complaining. Cool, comfortable atmosphere. Came back the next day for coffee and cake.

Pros: Good value, Good portions , Great cake!

yummy vegan breakfast and great atmosphere! - Edit

Our first morning in Liverpool and this was our first stop. We both had a vegan full English and enjoyed it very much, especially the sausages :)
The lady who served us was super friendly and even refilled my water bottle for me!
The atmosphere was great, good music at the right volume, very cool leaves painted all around the wooden structure, and the location nice and close to the centre of town.
5 stars!

Pros: good choice of vegan food, good prices, friendly staff

Cons: not accessible to those with reduced mobility

Throwback - Edit

I can't fairly give this place a review as I can't fully remember my visit a couple years ago, from what I can remember though it was alright. Nice quiet atmosphere, I only had a smoothie.

Pros: Vegan options, Good location

Cons: Needs some more life

A lynchpin of Lverpoo - Edit

This is a lovely, spacious, welcoming but private communi cafe. Lots of options for all. A great space to hang out or arrange group meetings. Friendly unhassled and unhassling staff. Inexpensive for tasty down to earth food which you will have earned once you've climbed the steps to reach the place!

StevieSurf 19 Jun 2016 - This review is unfinished and will be edited once approved

lovely food, atmosphere and staff - Edit

Don't be put off by the dark entrance, this is a lovely bright airy cafe inside with lots of windows.

Came for breakfast where I had delicious scrambled tofu on toast and a lovely soya latte. The manager was very friendly and helpful.

I was so impressed I asked for some lunch to takeaway and couldn't resist a chocolate slice or two to take with me.

Will definitely be back next time I'm in Liverpool!

Pros: Bright, comfortable atmosphere., Near the stations, All veggie with plenty of vegan choices.

Cons: Stairs

Not one to impress your non-vegan friends with - Edit

I have been here a few times with friends and family and always felt a bit uncomfortable about dragging them here. The restaurant is shabby in a not very charming way, it never feels or smells clean and the food is dry and bland - the veggie burgers tasting almost identical to the cakes.
The owners need to visit Give Kitchen, also in Liverpool, to see how good vegan food should be done and what a modern clean restaurant looks like. They have a great opportunity to change and succeed because their restaurant is in the better location ;)

Pros: Good location , Meat free environment

Cons: Doesn't seem clean, Dry, tasteless food, Not suitable for impressing non-veggies

Grubby. Bland. Depressing. - Edit

If a meateater was to describe what they thought a veggie cafe was like then 'The Egg' is it.

Dry, unexciting food served unsmilingly by people who clearly want something better to do with their lives.

This is not a knee-jerk opinion formed after one visit. I have been coming here for over 10 years but have now had enough. Like 'Eighth Day' in Manchester this place has been living off its historical position as one of the only veggie/Vegan cafes in the City. Time has moved on significantly but unfortunately The Egg has not.

I've read on another sites that Heather Small of 'M People' likes to eat here. Maybe after one night in heaven the food tastes better...

Pros: Cheap, Good Desserts, Vegan Options

Cons: Bland, Uninspiring Food, Scruffy, Grubby Interior, Surly Staff

Return to Liverpool Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Egg Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.