Downbeat Diner and Lounge

808-533-2328

42 N Hotel St (at Smith), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 96817

Serves meat, vegan options available. American diner and lounge run by indie musicians. Offers a vegan choice for every menu item; breakfast all day. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-12:00am, Tue 12:00am-12:00am, Wed-Fri 12:00am-3:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-4:00am, Sun 10:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by scarletp5

our fave place in Honolulu - Edit

We ate here once a day! Easy access from Waikiki as the bus drops you right out front. Basically every dish has a vegan option, vegan cheeze, mayo, dressings, proteins etc. Loved the burgers, BBQ "faux chikin" sandwich, great chikin and waffles on weekend brunch. Nice vibe and lovely staff. They even have vegan desserts!

BEST VEGAN FOOD IN HONOLULU - Edit

Come here if you're vegan, you won't regret it! This is the real deal. Nice atmosphere & the bus takes you right to it! Amazing, amazing food and decent prices for Hawaii! The entire menu can be veganized! From cheese to bacon! You got it! :)

Pros: entire menu can be made vegan

Cons: nothing!

just awesome. - Edit

I was blown away by this place. Everything on the menu could be made vegan and I mean proper not just take out the cheese and mayo. I mean vegan cheese and vegan mayo. The service was great. The food was so tasty.

Downbeat Diner - Chinatown - Edit

Downbeat Diner specializes in classic American and diner-esque cuisine. With a vegan and vegetarian option for almost everything on the menu as well as homemade cocktails, and specialty drinks. Parking is a bit challenging. Street parking/metered parking is usually the route to go. Option: pay parking lots for $5-$10, but if you're eating sometime after 6pm, look for metered parking as it is free after 6pm. We ordered the Vegan Hot Wings (5pcs/$7), Vegan BBQ Wings (5pcs/$7), The Carnivore (vegan) Burger ($10), Volcano Fries ($7), and Vegan Shakes ($5). Everything was really tasty and had nice portions. This will definitely be a spot we come back to. Looking forward to trying other dishes.

Pros: Vegan Comfort Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff

Excellent options and Knowledgeable staff - Edit

Came here with friends after spending a long day on the beaches. We were looking for a suitable spot that would be open after 9pm and this was the available option-they are open very late, past midnight (website says 3 or 4 am, but in practice, a bit earlier if there are no customers). Turns out, we were pleasantly welcomed as vegans (the wait staff asked 'vegan or regular' for each item we ordered) and they offer a vegan option for most every single dish on their menu. Very tasty, very welcome feel, great service! Their bbq 'wings' are amazing (Layonna, I think). Curly fries and sandwiches are great too. I liked everything that I ordered!

Pros: Wide variety of options, knowledgeable staff, open

Delicious vegan diner food - Edit

I'll just underscore what everyone else said. Lots of vegan options, mostly items on the menu are not vegan by default but can be veganized. I got the California burger upon the recommendation of our server- yum, avocado! Definitely worth a stop and worth making the trip to.

yum! - Edit

This place has a ton of vegan options and faux meats. I got a vegan burger and it was delicious! They even have shakes for us weirdos! It was attached to a bar. It's very hipster but even my parents enjoyed the vibe. They play music like New World and other punk bands. I recommend!

Pros: tons of vegan options, nice waiters

Cons: not completely vegan

Variety of good options! - Edit

Almost every dish could be made vegan and not just by taking stuff off. They offer vegan meats and cheeses and serve breakfast all day including French toast and vegan shakes! I had the pesto tofu scramble with avocado homefries and toast, it was great and not too greasy! The scramble had onions and mushrooms too which was a plus. They also had happy hour from 4-7 in the diner and lounge area and a decent beer selection! Some beers for $3 on happy hour

Decent Diner Food - Edit

This menu is confusing at first because everything can be made vegan but nothing is by default vegan. I am generally nervous about vegan substitutions because I've seen mixups many times at various restaurants (& reported in some reviews here), so I got a burger which I figured would be the least like real meat. My sister was unsure of her vegan chicken dish, but our omnivore friend verified it as not-meat. That said, my vegan cheeseburger was obviously vegan & it hit the spot. Salad & garlic fries (with side of vegan gravy) were also good. Service was good & everyone enjoyed their meal. I would give it 3.5 stars because I'd like to see some exclusively vegan menu options (with no chance of mixups) & since it has so many 4-star ratings, I'm going with 3.
Punk rock, casual atmosphere. Full bar.

Pros: Anything can be vegan, Tasty diner food, Reasonable prices

Cons: Everything non-vegan by default

5 stars really! - Edit

Amazing fatty foods! I wanted to order the whole vegan menu! So delicious and reminded me of home, Seattle.
Great ska music playing too.

Pros: great vegan selection, yummy greasy real food, awesome music

Cons: parking

Great veg options - Edit

Great vegan and vegetarian substitutions for everything on the menu! When is the last time you had buffalo wings?!?! They have a vegan version of them. The veggie burger was so good I'm still thinking about it! Double check you food and order and be a little vigilant about vegan stuff- they don't totally catch things like the fact that the buffalo wings come with ranch dressing so if you are vegan you want to ask about EVERYTHING before you eat it.

Pros: Black bean burger!!!, Cool vibe, live music some nights, ginger brew

Cons: Staff isn't vegan trained so ask questio, parking is not that easy

This should be FIVE stars!! - Edit

They offer their ENTIRE menu vegan. Vegan hot wings and a full bar!

delicious!! - Edit

Veggie burger patty and vegan chicken were awesome. Great service. Decent beer selection.

Very Good - Edit

Tried twice. Both times service was great and food was amazingly fast. Enjoyed the vegan burger and pesto scramble.

fun, friendly! - Edit

ordered a burger called carnivore in all vegan (veg burger, veg ham, veg bacon). it was good. the lychee sour mixed drink is a must get. this is best for late night dining and comfort food. go for the atmosphere and many veg options.

Pros: atmosphere, friendly waiter, vegan friendly

so so good!! - Edit

I had the BBQ "chicken" sandwich and can't say enough about how outrageously good it was! I am not a huge fan of fake meat, but this sandwich was so good, the sauce so so good, fries delicious and organic beers to go with it - mmmm! The atmosphere was funky and chill. Better yet - my friend, a Honolulu resident, had eaten there a tonne of times and didn't know you could eat vegan and veg and NoW she can get all her favs from there even healthier for the planet! Loved it!!

Pros: great sauce, delicious healthy down home food, nice atmosphere and music

Fun Spot with Vegan Wings! - Edit

I really enjoyed this spot. Fun, Hip and great Vegan options.

The first place you should go to when in Honolulu - Edit

Seriously amazing.

I was able to eat here twice, first time I got the vegan Monte Cristo and the second time I got the vegan buffalo chicken(so spicy! Which I absolutely love!). I also tried the some of the food my family got. Amazing! Pretty much anything can be made vegan, even the desserts! The fritters are divine.

Super cute diner, with friendly staff and amazing comfort food. Complete with juke box and movies projected on the wall at night.

Pros: great food, almost everything can be vegan, atmosphere

Cons: that's it's not 100% vegan

Return to Honolulu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Downbeat Diner and Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.