The Cutting Board Bakery and Cafe

Contact 480-654-8081

2235 S Power Rd Ste 116, Mesa, Arizona, USA, 85209

The first dedicated vegetarian restaurant in the East Valley, this bakery and cafe offers a menu based on whole foods and, whenever possible, locally source produce. Beverages include fresh juices, smoothies, coffee and espresso. Hosts speaking events, movies, and food tastings. Open Tue-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm, Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by BeckyK

Love this place - Edit

Living in East Mesa it's nice not to have to drive to Tempe for a decent vegan dining out experience. My favorite time at the CB is breakfast. I am always torn about what to order. The vegan biscuits and gravy are delicious!!!
But the vegan breakfast pizza (just order with vegan cheese) is also one of the best meals around. I can never eat the entire thing. They always have really good lunch specials and I've had some really good soups here also. I just had a birthday and my wife got me a CB gift card. Now that's love!

Pros: great vegan food. , fresh juices, offers entertainment every Saturday night.

Cons: biscuits & gravy only available on weekends

Tasty - Edit

The tacos duo tasted good for sure but I wasn't expecting them to be mini tacos! So two mini tacos with some chips and salsa is what I got for about ten dollars. Not a terrible price but small portions.

Pros: Everything is vegan, They can add cheese for the vegetarians

Cons: Small portions

Awesome spot - Edit

So happy that there is a place like this in Mesa as there aren't many options here. The food is really fresh tasting, they use quality produce. I also love picking up their cupcakes/muffins when they have se available.

Enjoyed this place - Edit

My husband and I drove from Scottsdale to Mesa to try out the restaurant. Even though it was about a 29 mile drive for us, we both enjoyed the food. I am vegan so I was in "heaven" but even my husband who is an omnivore enjoyed the biscuits and gravy dish. I had the tofu sandwich which was really good and filling. The pesto on the sandwich was yummy.

We left the restaurant so full but felt like I should at least try one of the cinnamon rolls or bars. I sent my husband back in to get one and he came back with one of each. Love the guy as he knows I have a sweet tooth. I took one bite of the date bar and put it as far away from me as possible. It was so moist and good that I would have devoured the whole thing by the time we arrived back home. Once home, I put both the bar and cinnamon roll (minus a little nibble) in the freezer for a later "sweet" craving. Oh, the cinnamon roll has raisins for those of you who don't like them in your roll and a small container of frosting comes with it. I did not taste the frosting but it looked good.

Even though the restaurant is a drive for us, we both will make a return visit to try lunch there as the food is very good.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, cute and clean

Cons: a drive if you don't live near Mesa

Great Location But Pretty Spendy - Edit

The food at the cutting board is decent, but expect to drop a fair amount of cash. I love supporting places like this that serve quality food, but as a poor college student, it just doesn't work out.

Pros: Good Quality

Cons: Pricey!

Amazing growth, amazing cafe - Edit

This vegetarian/vegan café has been open for one year. I am amazed at the growth over this year. The food is amazing, fresh, healthy, the service is spot-on and a great place to learn, meet new people and grow the community. If you haven't been in awhile, visit again and be amazed! Communicate any issues and they respond really well. Thanks Sean and Krystal for contributing to a healthier community. Must tries for gf like myself: pizza, quinoa or rice power bowls. And for the sweet tooth, they specialize in sweet healthy treats.

Pros: amazing food, amazing staff, amazing atmosphere

Fresh Organic Flavorful Deliciousness! - Edit

My boyfriend, friend and I stopped here on our way back from the Mesa Swap Meet. The menu was full of organic, fresh produce in unique dishes, and gluten-free items were clearly labeled. The food came out fresh and flavorful, beautiful presentation... all three of us (me a vegan & gluten-free, boyfriend a vegan, and friend an omnivore) loved our dishes and finished every bite! We got a free sample of a smoothie that was awesome, and I got organic iced tea that was sublime. I only wish it was a little closer to Tempe!

Pros: Fresh organic produce, Unique & flavorful dishes, Gluten-free options

Cons: Location far from Tempe/Phoenix, Limited baked goods/desserts

Hidden Gem - Edit

A coworker told me about the Cutting Board so a friend and I checked it out for Sunday brunch. We had a couple of chai lattes, the sweet potato hash, and a veg-head. Food and service were both great, will definitely be coming back.

Only thing I'd recommend is it's really hard to see this place from the street. They've been open a few months but the sign for the old coffee shop is still up. If someone hadn't told me about it I wouldn't have known it was there. It's worth tracking them down though!

Pros: good food, menu options, nice staff

Cons: wrong signage, easy to miss driving by

Spice up Mesa! - Edit

I attended a special evening screening of a documentary the other week. Three menu options were offered for dinner, and I chose the black bean burrito/wrap. Portion size was about average; served with some blue corn chips and a small cup of salsa. I had high hopes, because there are few vegan/vegetarian options in Mesa.

Sadly, I was rather underwhelmed by my meal. The wrap was lacking any sauce and flavor. Where was the spicy tofu mayo or spices? The salsa was bland. Vegan doesn't have to mean boring. Perhaps the rest of the menu is better--this review is based completely on my one meal.

The place is new, bright, and clean. I could tell a lot of love had been put into its creation. Hoping for a few menu tweaks to jazz up some of their entrees. Maybe a toppings/sauce bar would help.

Pros: Menu descriptions sound appealing, Bright and clean, Friendly service

Cons: A little pricey, Meal lacked flavor

Yumm-O! - Edit

My mom and I drove all the way to AZ from Chicago, and I found this restaurant by searching the web. It opened less than 5 days ago. Great food and friendly people--what more can a hungry person ask for? I'm a vegan but my mom isn't, and we both really enjoyed our meals! We will tell all of our AZ friends to stop on in for a bite. Thank you!!!

Delicious and fresh! - Edit

So happy to have the The Cutting Board Bakery and Cafe in east Mesa! The food is delicious - you don't have to be vegeterian or vegan to enjoy. The Santa Monica is definitely a favorite. The breakfast burrito, and tamari tofu English muffin (with homemade pesto) were both very tasty. Will be a new favorite hangout.

Pros: Fresh, local sourced, homemade food , Nice amiance , Friendly, great people

Return to Mesa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cutting Board Bakery and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4136 times since Aug 2013.