The Cruelty Free Shop

• Veg Shop Veg Shop
  • Vegan
Contact 96609426

83 Glebe Point Rd, Glebe, New South Wales, 2037

Vegan store with several outlets and an online store. Stocks a wide range of products, including faux meat, vegan cheese, snacks, confectionery, drinks, shoes, handbags, jackets, belts, t-shirts and wallets. This outlet since 2012. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-6:30pm, Sat 10:00am-5:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

First Review by amaranth

Useful shop...but pricey - Edit

A wide selection of vegan items - and not just food. I was pleasantly surprised to find vegan items I hadn't found elsewhere. However, I've been to much better stores in Europe (Berlin, Prague, Vienna) and they have a big difference - they are much cheaper ! The prices here are for very wealthy vegans.

Pros: Good range

Cons: The prices - so high !

Expensive to shop online - Edit

I love the range of delicious vegan foods on offer, I don't live in Sydney so have to shop online. I've never had a problem with the service, fast to dispatch and great courier service, fast. The only problem is, it is quite expensive. I can't afford to place an order too often as the total cost of shipping for me is $17. This includes a cold pack and ice costing $5, on top of the $12 shipping. No other online vegan store charges for ice and packing. A popular item has had a price rise from $12.50 to $13.65, when all other items, seemingly less popular in this brand are $12.50. It's hard being veg in Australia, it's even harder when buying and shopping online is out of reach for many people on a budget. I find it frustrating that when shipping costs are so high I can almost never place a full order of everything I want. At any given time a wide range of popular items are out of stock, meaning I have to constantly try to wait till everything I want is in stock at the same time in order to avoid excessive postage costs. This almost never happens.
I love the food, service is great, but the postage and product prices are high meaning I consider shopping here a luxury indulgence I can only consider a few times at most during a year.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-26

Pros: great brands, delicious vegan products , good service, supporting animal charities

Cons: Extremely expensive shopping online

Great range - Edit

Great range of vegan foods although seemed to cater more for wannabe carnivores with vegan ethics than for people who enjoy a plant based vegan diet ...lots of strange processed mock meats and vegan fish alternatives

Pros: substantial range in a small shop

Cons: expensive

Love this place :) - Edit

Delighted to find this place appeared since I was last in Sydney. I shopped for gifts for my vegan friends and treats for my vegan boyfriend. He seriously loves the Apricot and Plum Royales - apricots and plums with liquor in chocolate. Some of the hard to find American products like Tofurky etc are available, McDougall products, and much more. There's also some great books, such Ruby Roth's books for children. I recommend stopping by for a browse and grabbing something to eat at Iku just down the street while you're at it!

Pros: dedicated vegan store, hard to find products, friendly staff

LOVE their online store! - Edit

Cruelty Free shop has been instrumental in helping me transition to veganism. The staff are amazing and knowledgeable and wonderful to deal with. They have a fantastic range of products and some great info on their website, including some great recipes. I love the newsletter as well and have found out about some great veggie events that way. :)

Pros: Online, delivers to Victoria

They have it all - Edit

So happy these guys opened this in Glebe. I was a customer of their online store for many years. I live an hours drive away so I usually visit duringa week day so guaranteed a close parking spot.
The range is extensive. So many things to choose from. They even sell vegan wears items and beautiful handbags. I always stock up on notzarella, Linda Mac pies and Mac n Cheeze when we go. Prices are what they are. .. But anyone who buys vegan products knows this is what to expect. They are certainly fair in in eyes. I love supporting this great.

Pros: huge range, beautiful staff, vegan business

Cons: parking on a weekend

Great selection - Edit

Selection of vegan goods here was very impressive, even if imported goods are quite expensive, as others have noted. I was able to stock up on a host of necessities, including some vegan shoes!

Really amazing! - Edit

LOVE THIS PLACE amazing staff friendly customers and anything you could want vegan! Vegas would love this place to!!! Almost any meet you can think of! Go out of your way and visit!

Pros: Everything, Service/advice, Variety

Cons: Location, Controling yourself, Variety

Sydney vegan dreams have officially come true. - Edit

What can I say.. The Cruelty Free Shop, which has been a fabulously friendly & reliable source of vegan grocery & personal needs, has launched a shop front!!!! It's a very exciting moment & I can say their personality really shines through when you visit.. the staff are relaxed & helpful & not at all pretentious. If you're big on cooking you'll be in heaven with the huge assortment of vegan pantry items --even vegan pesto. & if you have a sweet tooth watch out, this place truly makes you feel like a kid in a candy store with vegan versions of Smores, Ice Cream Sandwiches & Violet Crumbles waaaahhh!!! Don't say I didn't warn you! ;)

Pros: Floor to ceiling variety., Helpful (&cute) staff., Vegan everything

Cons: Too much delicious temptation.

if you haven't been, go! - Edit

Great shop! I used to buy from them online... Great 'treat' items when you need a junk food fix... Lots of other vegan products, definetly worth a look.

Pros: friendly staff, wide range of products

Return to Glebe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cruelty Free Shop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.