The Cruelty Free Shop

• Veg Shop Veg Shop
  • Vegan
Contact 09-3793747

179 Karangahape Rd, St Kevins Arcade, Auckland, New Zealand, 1010

Vegan store; previously operated as SAFE Cruelty Free Shop by an animal advocacy organization but no longer as reported Dec 2012. Stocks a wide range of animal-friendly products from vegan foods and snacks to books and t-shirts to household and personal care products to companion animal food and more. Mon-Sat 10:30am-5:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm

First Review by Petesternz

good store, but too small - Edit

it's a great store where everything is vegan. you can buy all the basic things you want in here. I would wish the store gets a bit bigger and there is a bigger selection of things and food you need in life.

Vegan heaven - Edit

As a vegan it's nice to walk into a shop and know everything is vegan. This place has the best selection of vegan foods anywhere. They import cheeses and chocolates from Europe. Has everything a vegan needs, including supplements, etc. Some items are a bit pricey, but I know they make an effort to keep the price reasonable.

Pros: Has everything

good little shop - Edit

Small shop in St. Kevin’s Arcade. Freezer and cooler items (including Nice Blocks and T&J non-dairy ice cream), cosmetics, t-shirts, treats and snack bars, egg-free mayo, non-dairy milk. “100% vegan market”

Pros: all vegan items

Just passing through - Edit

Happened upon this place accidentally on a warm spring day. Perfect timing too; after walking up the hill from the CBD, a vegan ice cream really hit the spot.

I had a quick browse around while I was there. It's quite small, but it's packed with some pretty awesome products.

I'm not a local, but if I was I'm sure I'd be stopping in here frequently.

Such a pretty little arcade too!

Pros: Great range

Everything in Vegan Supplies - Edit

This little store in St Kevin's Arcade has a wide range of vegan supplies even including shoes. Although some of the items are found in the supermarket, they have the complete range here, often with twice as many products as elsewhere. Definitely worth a visit for those that eat vegan food at home. Some items reasonably priced, others a little bit expensive.

Pros: variety, vegan

Good but small - Edit

We went to this place expecting more than what we got. An obvious positive is that it is vegan and therefore it's not necessary to worry about whether you can buy something. It is nice to be able to do that. However, it is very small and while we did buy a range of things it isn't somewhere you can really do a complete shop, not compared to the range available at other vego/vegan stores I have visited in the past. I also found that quite a few of the products were not organic/high quality/free of bad additives etc (e.g. lollies with fake flavourings).
In it's current form I wouldn't go too far out of my way to visit. I do think this place is nice and it has potential if it expanded and focused more on organic/high quality produce. Another positive was the good service.

Pros: vegan, good service

Cons: small

vegan everything - Edit

this place has just about everything a vegan could possibly want all packed into a small space. friendly staff who are in it for the cause.

can seem a bit pricey for some things but everything is excellent quality.

Pros: all vegan products

Cons: $$$ for some things

Love SAFE! - Edit

This is a great store, and shopping here supports a great cause! A good variety of items from t-shirts, body products to frozen food, and prepack food. Of course lots of vegan goodies that you can't find at conventional stores, vegan ice cream, sweet Freedom Syrup, raw cookies, mock meats! They even heated up a locally made vegan pie for me so I could enjoy it right there. The store was really well stocked and I was able to get everything I went for, and then some.

SAFE haven - Edit

The SAFE store has improved their range exceptionally over the last couple of years and it keeps getting better. My regular buys are the Jokerz bar (think Snickers), marshmellows, cream cheese, Tofutti ice-cream, vegan cheese powder (amazing for lasagne, etc), cranberry and macadamia cookies, jelly beans, Nice Blocks, and pies. SAFE is great for non-food items too, I purchased a nifty 'leather' belt and wallet, as well as cosmetics and hair products.

Pros: all vegan, central location, yummy

vegan goodies for a good cause - Edit

The SAFE shop is a very cute little all-vegan store in St. Kevin's Arcade. I gravitated towards the vegan sweets - got a delicious Buccaneer bar (vegan Mars bar), some vegan wine gums, a Kokako fairtrade organic banana bread (fairtrade, organic and vegan - I was in heaven) and a Nice block (strawberry lemonade - tangy deliciousness). Although plenty of the products are probably sold cheaper in general supermarkets, it's worth paying extra for the specialty vegan imports.

Pros: Speciality vegan treats

Cons: Pricey

Where I get my everything from - Edit

Its so hard to find a place thats dedicated to serving people like me who would only buy animal cruelty free products. I'm glad of this place where I don't have to scrutinize at every label, and can get the great selection I can't get in normal supermarkets. And the pies are so so awesome!!!

Pros: Great variety, Friendly staff

SAFE Cruelty Free Shop - AMAZING! - Edit

A really handy place for everyday household needs, a large variety of imported and local snacks and foods. Definitely vegan heaven.

Pros: Toffuties!, Organic chocolates, Soaps

Super cool little Vegan Paradise! - Edit

Was a short walk from our hotel. The shop is small, but its PACKED with goodness. I highly recommend trying the Turkish Delight! There is a frozen foods section in the middle stocked with highly expensive tofuti bars, which are more for the sake of locals. I assume they are shipped in! Very helpful staff, even called and found out what vegan restaurants were open at the time for me!

Pros: turkish delight, very helpful, tons of sweets

Great and getting better! - Edit

The SAFE shop is a really useful place for people living in Auckland, and it is great to see they are expanding their food options. It used to be just a few items here and there, but now SAFE stocks the shop with all sorts of goodies that are hard to get elsewhere, and has a freezer and fridge for cold items.

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cruelty Free Shop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1927 times since Aug 2007.