The Coup

Contact 403-541-1041

924B 17th Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada,

Modern vegetarian food restaurant with art display on walls, operating since the mid-2000s. Non smoking. Food is prepared from local and organic ingredients. Varied menu with a fusion of cuisines from curry and peanut satay to veggie sushi and tempeh shawarma. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-3:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Canadian

First Review by juliotnunes

My favourite restaurant in the city! - Edit

I am a regular customer of the Coup and I absolutely love all of their dishes. They are entirely vegetarian but any dish can be made vegan. I have taken many of my meat eating friends to the Coup before and they are always blown away by the taste and how satisfied and filling the food is. I recommend it for everyone!!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Eco friendly

Cons: Parking

Delicious food, Maybe be prepared to wait - Edit

Definitely glad we went here. Food is delicious! Seems to be mostly vegan or veganize-able.

We went on a Thursday evening, and we were quoted a 25 minute wait. The wait ended up being closer to 15 minutes. It’s apparently quite popular, and there’s not a ton of space to wait, but they will take your phone number, and since we didn’t have a phone with service in Canada, they were OK with us walking around for a bit before returning. The surrounding neighborhood is nice for a bit of a walk.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly service

Cons: Crowded, potentially with a wait

One of my favourite restaurants - Edit

This is one of my go-to restaurants for a nice night out. They offer plenty of vegan options, and most, if not all, of their dishes can be made vegan very easily. My favourites are the Beach Front Hot Pot, which has rice noodles, seasonal vegetables, and a spicy lime and chili broth, and the Tandoori Cauliflower Wings. It can be quite busy, but it's worth the wait. They also have some great vegan desserts, including an amazing chocolate torte.

Pros: Lots of choices, Great tasting food, Friendly staff

Cons: Busy, Somewhat pricey

Favourite restaurant in Calgary! - Edit

The Coup has been my favourite, go-to restaurant for a couple of years now! The food is INCREDIBLE, some meals definitely stand out more than others (Um hello Upstream Burger?? and the Treehouse sandwich?? You gotta try those two!) The chefs are so creative- they create a new meal or appetizer or dessert (and occasionally, just a drink) every night as their special and wowza- how do they come up with a new thing every night this amazing every night??

Generally, the staff are pretty friendly and although some people don't like the vintage-y atmosphere, I'm a fan of it!

Also- the desserts are incredible. Like the ice cream sandwich. And the breakup blendy (drink)

Pros: WONDERFUL food, Great staff, Lovely atmosphere

Cons: Can get really busy sometimes, Is pricey (but fair for organic, local food!)

THE Calgary Vegetarian Spot - Edit

My experience here was for brunch with 2 friends. I had the vegan burger, and an almond milk London fog with maple syrup instead of honey. The burger was good but not incredibly memorable, but the London fog was probably the best I've had in my life. The waitress was really sweet, helpful, and friendly, and all the staff looked relaxed and happy. It wasn't cheap - mine was about $30 (I also had an orange juice), but I guess that's normal for a place offering whole, local foods. I wish that they had a bigger selection of fully vegan options, but it was still a nice place to go.

Pros: Friendly staff, Amazing London fog, Good food over all

Cons: Fairly limited vegan options, A bit pricey perhaps?

Calgary Mainstay - Edit

We having been coming here since 2007 and we make sure to go every time we are obligated to come to Calgary.

Although they have moved the Upstream Burger to the dinner menu and swapped out the bun for a much more boring ciabatta, it is still the best thing on the menu. The drinks are really good and the Cajun Tempe Sticks are the bomb.

The prices are pretty crazy, but that's just kind of expected of one of the few good places in Calgary.

Make sure to come right when it opens to avoid waiting, although it hasn't been as bad since they got rid of the fairly useless lounge in leu of more seating.

Pros: Upstream Burger, Atmosphere, Location

Cons: Price

killer veg in yyc - Edit

I finally had dinner at the Coup. I'm in Calgary on business quite often, but haven't had a chance to eat here until now. I wish I had come sooner! The food was terrific, and the vibe was awesome. It's very cool to see a veg/vegan joint packed & hopping on a weeknight in Alberta! I had the king oyster mushroom "scallops" as an appie - fantastic. I had the ramen for my main, and the chocolate torte for dessert. I left a very happy, very full vegan! I'll be back. Often.

Pros: great food, awesome vibe, great staff

Delicious; Must Visit in Calgary - Edit

I have visited the Coup both time I have visited Calgary and will make sure to come every time I return. Both times I have ordered the Beach Front Hot Pot with tofu added, and it is just so good (the coconut, tomato lime broth is amazing and it is loaded with veggies) , although I do want to try some other items on the menue (The Magic Dragon Bowl and the Ramen sound particularly tasty). I was there with a group last time and we split the mushroom sushi, which was tasty as well. The cocktail list is great, with vegan options for anything containing egg or dairy. I have been twice, once during the week and once on Sunday, and it was packed with a wait both times, so plan according. I also will add that I think the food is a little expensive, but the atmosphere nice and the food is very good.

Pros: Delicious Food, All Vegetarian, Great cock-tails

Cons: Busy (expect to wait), Bit pricey

Food was spectacular!! - Edit

I went here for my birthday dinner this year, and I have to say: The food was AMAZING!! They had excellent options for food, vegan options and soy milk as an option for tea! As someone who's lactose intolerant, this was a God-send! Lot's of vegan options, and most things could be made vegan too to order, it was wonderful here, but a little on the pricier side.

Pros: Excellent food, Easy to make vegan, Delicious desserts

Cons: VERY loud, Little/no nearby parking, pricey

what a great find - Edit

I have been following a couple local vegan blogs, and they all kept mentioning this place, "The Coup". Intrigued I decided next date night to check it out, and I'm so glad I did!! The atmosphere was great, a bit loud after 6pm, but that was to be expected. It was smaller, but cozy. The staff was great! The food was excellent, as a vegan it was great to have every option on the menu be a possibility for once! Great place overall!!!

Pros: amazing food , intimate seating , quick staff

Cons: loud

Never Been So Excited About a Restaurant!!! - Edit

I'm Jenna, I am 20 years old and I am a Vegan. I took my boyfriend (he's vegetarian) to The Coup for our very first anniversary this weekend and I was so excited!!! Everything about this place was amazing, our waitress (Anastasia) was very very friendly and was a great server, we were seated right away by a friendly host, and our food came out very quickly. The food was absolutely fantastic as well! We ordered the Buffalo Cauliflower and the Power of Pesto Pizza, and I have to say that the pizza was the best pizza I have ever eaten. I have honestly never been to a restaurant that was so vegan-friendly (I am from Medicine Hat) and was really pleased with all of my options. I was also very happy with the drink menu, with so many different options like Kombucha, coconut water, and many different kinds of juice. We were too full to order dessert but next time I will try some because it all sounded so good! I will DEFINITELY come back the next time I am in Calgary. In fact I will probably come back every time I am in Calgary. If this restaurant existed in Medicine Hat I would most definitely be a regular customer. I have never actually been this excited about a restaurant before. AMAZING!!!

Pros: AMAZING food!, Great service!, Very vegan friendly!

Cons: Too much awesomeness, This restaurant isn't in Medicine Hat, I can't come here every day

Not anymore...:( - Edit

I used to go to The Coup often..then things started to change.. what did it was one day I went there with a friend, and the wait was more then 1:30...it was ridiculous!!! Then came to time to get seated...few tables started to empty, so we saw a little more of a quiet table ...no one was seated there.. we asked the waitress if we could sit there, she refused... !!
Then we ended up seating in a very cramped tables area... it was so noisy, it was unreal... at the end, we waited 1:30 ++, we ate in 20 minutes, we couldn't wait to get out... food was ok... Never again!! over rated !

Pros: food is ok

Cons: Waiting time is awful, Table are too close to each other, very, very noisy!!

The Best in Calgary??? Wow, that's Embarassing. - Edit

I cannot understand how anyone could call this hole-in-the-wall "restaurant" the best in Calgary. The place is run down with outdated thrift shop decor. Call that "funky" if you like, I call it outdated & uncomfortable. The place is tiny with as many tables stuffed into it as they can get. Basically eating in someone elses face. Dusty & dirty as well.

The wait is also ridiculous. 2.5 hours. Really? I expected fabulous food like I had heard about, so I decided to have a couple drinks & appetizers at "The Meet". Meh. Old, run down furniture & wait staff drying glasses with an old tattered cloth while handling glass all over is really not my speed.

Once we finally had our tables in "The Coup" (with no apologies for the extra long wait), we ordered our meals. Never again. There was nothing about my meal that was great or even what I would call good & my partner didn't even finish his - thought it was gross. Completely unimpressed. We make much better food at home. And to think the owners acted like they were doing us a favour to finally seat us. Lol.

I've been to many great vegan/vegetarian restaurants (I travel for work) & I can honestly say this place would not survive elsewhere. They should consider themselves lucky that they are in Calgary. Seriously.

Pros: None

Cons: Pretty much everything

Return to Calgary Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Coup closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.