The Cosy Club

Contact 01823253476

Hunts Court, Corporation St, Taunton, England, TA1 4AJ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Quirky, eccentric, and informal where the eating area is dimly lift for atmosphere. Ask for the separate vegan menu which includes several brunch (until 6pm) and starters as well as 2 mains and 2 sandwiches (until 6pm). Kitchen stops at 10m. There are stairs from the entrance to the eating area but there is a wheelchair lift for disabled access. Open Mon-Wed 9:00am-11:00pm, Thu-Sat 9:00am-12:00am, Fri-Sun 12:00am-12:30am, Sun 9:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by LethalKitten

Nice place with vegan menu available - Edit

Nice place in a really gorgeous, spacious, high ceiling victorian building in the centre of Taunton. We'd been stuck for somewhere to eat a vegan meal in the early evening and were quite chuffed to stumble across this place. Just wanted something light before the cinema. We arrived about 5pm, so there was plenty of space. The ambience was nice and cosy (hence the name I guess). The server we had could have been a friendlier, (although I am not sure that is a reflection of the place itself, since the other staff seemed friendly).

There vegan menu is good, considering that this is not a vegan place. My husband had the veggie burger with chunky chips & salad. I ended up having two side dishes - chunky chips (couldn't decide between them & sweet potato fries) and a house salad. It was inexpensive and I really enjoyed it. Was very impressed considering I ordered sides. My husband said the burger and his slaw etc. were really good. Things were served in odd shaped bowls, nicely quirky.

We'd come again for sure.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-08

Pros: vegan menu available, quirky

Cons: serves meat

Delicious Food, Dark Interior - Edit

This place has always been friendly and welcoming when I have arrived to eat here. Unfortunately I didn't even know that they had a vegan menu until I saw it mentioned on another website- you have to ask for one specifically when the greeter seats you.

There isn't a huge choice of options- 2 main courses- but, compared to other places in the area, 2 options is wonderful. I had the mushroom bruschetta and the falafels to start followed by the burger. It was delicious. All the food was perfectly hot and very tasty- plus the sherbet lemonade is fantastic and sharp. My partner also said that his non-veg food was very nice.

The biggest downside of this place is that the restaurant area is very dimly lit. While this provides a private, intimate setting it can also make it hard to read the menu. My partner had to focus very hard with his glasses on to read everything. They also have some 'non veg*n friendly' decor like mounted heads on the walls in the corridors. Not in the eating area though.

If you are in the area and want to go somewhere that doesn't require asking a million questions about what is in their food then this is definitely a place to check out. There is parking on the road by the place, or round the back with a very quick walk through a short ally (free Sundays and after 6pm).

Edit: Added warning of animal decor

Pros: Tasty food, Vegan menu, Friendly and helpful staff

Cons: Can be dark , Serves meat, Uses some animal decor

Return to Taunton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cosy Club closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 411 times since Feb 2016.