The Cook - Vegetarian Food Booth

Contact n/a

44 F, 96-502 Ploenchit Road, Lumpinee, Patumwan (at Rajaprasong), Bangkok, Thailand, 10330

Located in the Amarin Plaza & Tower "The Cook" food court. Serves Central, Northern, Southern Thai food. Choose white or brown rice as your base and add 2 or 3 main dishes to your plate. Or order individual dishes for take away.

Category: Ovo, Thai, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by chillin

Some choices are better than others - Edit

At this food court, first go to one of the round desks and buy a card for 100 baht. They will reimburse you for whatever you didn't spend. Use this card to pay at the Vegetarian food stand -- I didn't know any of this and gave them cash and they took it, but that was the wrong way.

I first went on Sunday around 3pm and the Vegetarian Food stall (along with many others) was closed.

The food was alright. I tried five options. Two were tasty (but not fancy, simple and tasty). I tried what I think was batter-fried mushrooms, although it was almost entirely batter with the occasional tidbit of mushroom, not a fan. I also tried something that looked like mock meat, but it was hard, like eating chips, and not much flavor. So, you point to what you want and take your chances. I asked the person working there what she recommended, and she just said it's all good.

But it was cheap (35 baht for two choices with rice), and tasty enough, I'd come again.

On a weekday around noon it was very crowded. I was able to find a seat, but it took quite a bit of wandering.

Cheap and cheerful - Edit

Well some of the staff are not so cheerful but who cares. The food is delicious and so cheap! 40 baht for rice and two dishes. Not a lot of English spoken or labelled so just guess and point at what you fancy.

Yummy and cheap - Edit

2 dishes plus rice for under $2. Huge choice and over half have no egg so are vegan. Staff understand "no egg" and are helpful. A lot of what looks like it might be egg is stir-fried tofu! Closes at around 4pm, same as the rest of the food court. Will microwave dishes if you ask.

Better than I expected - Edit

So I visited The Cook today, as I was near the Amarin Plaza anyway, and I thought I'd give it a shot.

Firstly, if you're vegan like me, there are lots of vegan options, although a couple of things do have eggs.

I had a plate of rice with 2 options, which came to 45THB, a little under £1. I chose the thai sautéed broccoli, and sweet and sour tofu with veg. It was really delicious. Much better than what I was expecting. Definitely recommend this place if you're in the Ploen Chit / Chid Lom area, and even if you aren't. A steal. I'll definitely be going back to try more.

Pros: Fantastic value, Great food, Good portion sizes

Cons: A little salt heavy

Fast, cheap and satisfying - Edit

I thought it was good food generally. Of course, I had no idea what I was ordering. i was a little nervous about it, but the food was pretty delicious. You just kind of point at what you think you want to eat and they serve it up for you.

Pros: Cheap, Good, Fast

Cons: No idea what you are getting, Cold or warm not hot food, Rice isn't very good

alright in the area - Edit

Pretty average veggie mall food. I got there a little late and food was sitting out cold. Most of the dishes were already gone. They have a microwave if you want your food heated. They do serve eggs there, so be careful if you're vegan. I think they may use msg in their food or sauces. I wouldn't travel to eat there, but if you're nearby it's alright.

Pros: Convenient location

Cons: Food sits out

Decent food court Thai vegetarian - Edit

First of all the map is incorrect. Amarin plaza is located on the corner of Sukhumvit and Ratchadamri. The easiest way to get there is to take the BTS to Chit Lom and walk right into the plaza via the skywalk.
This is a good place to eat or take friends if you want a cheap sampling of Thai vegetarian/vegan food. The food court itself is bright, clean, and has AC. However it is best to visit before 11:30 otherwise it will be quite crowded with lunch time office workers, and if you visit after 1 many of the dishes will already be finished. The food is fresh and hot early in the day, but beware some dishes are quite spicy and others are a bit too oily. (This is true of most food court food as it's meant to be filling not subtle.) Nevertheless as far as mall food court vegetarian food this place is one of the better ones, with one of the largest varieties of dishes.

Pros: cheap, quick

Cons: some dishes too oily, some dishes too spicy

Fab find in food plaza! - Edit

We visited the Vegetarian food booth for lunch during the 2 week vegetarian festival. The food had just been prepared and was piping hot (just how I like it). It was tasty and really great value for money - whole meal & drink for less than 100THB($3).

Pros: Quick food, Easy to find, Great value

Cons: Food might not be so fresh later in day

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cook - Vegetarian Food Booth closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2568 times since Apr 2009.