The Cloth Ear

+44-2890234888

33 Waring St, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT1 2DY

Serves meat, vegan options available. Gastro pub which is part of The Merchant Hotel. Offers a full, dedicated vegan menu plus numerous vegetarian options on the à la carte menu. Vegan options include bruschetta, ragout, burger and flatbread. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 12:30pm-9:00pm. Food service hours, bar stays open later.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, British, European, Non-veg

First Review by CiaraSlevin

Full vegan menu - Edit

I would definitely class this restaurant as vegan-friendly. It's has a vegan section on the menu with a good choice of starters and mains (I don't know if there are any vegan desserts because we didn't have room so didn't look at the dessert menu). There was even a vegan wine list which Is something I have never seen in a non-vegan restaurant before. The staff were very friendly and looked for a vegan drink list for me (for beers and cocktails) for ages but couldn't find it so I just had a Carlsberg. I really appreciated the extra care they had taken to cater for vegans.
I was a little disappointed with the vegan burger since the patty/bread ratio was a little low, but had it been right it would have been very tasty. I regret not having had the veggie-hummus-pitta starter and sweet potato fries instead which sounded very appetising.

Pros: vegan menu, vegan drinks

Cons: vegan patty could be thicker

Delicious! - Edit

A beautiful restaurant with a full vegan menu. As a start, we had the vegetable board and it was super flavorful. For the main I ordered the lentils and roasted vegetables pie with sweet potato pure on top. A coffee pudding as desert and the meal was deliciously complete!

Pros: Lots of vegan options even vegan-friendly wines.

Delicious Vegan Options - Edit

The Cloth Ear is a public bar, located in The Merchant Hotel, recommended by a friend. The Cloth Ear offers an interesting vegan menu, with some good options, but I went with my friend's suggestion of sea veg and chips.
What a good choice this turned out to be, I have never eaten anything, that looks so much like a piece of battered fish. The whole dish was so tasty, with a very light but extra crispy batter, delicious chips, minted peas and a lovely herby vegan tartare sauce.   The fish was actually courgette wrapped in sea kelp. My husband chose from the gluten free menu with vegetable & halloumi skewer and sweet potato fries, another excellent dish.

I love that The Cloth Ear offers a vegan menu and a good one at that and we would definitely revisit, when we return to Belfast, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Pros: Vegan options, Vegan Menu, Plenty vegan choices

Stunning Vegan Menu - Edit

Visited Cloth Ear on Thursday evening, 20th April 2017 and it was extremely busy. We hadn't made a reservation but my dining companion and I were lucky enough to get a table. When I return I will pre-book. A happy vibe and atmosphere permeated with a live band (Acoustic Soul) playing music. Our waiter was excellent informing us of the £14 bottle of house wine and special menu offers.

We were there especially to try out the extensive, dedicated Vegan menu which we'd heard fantastic things about. This Vegan menu is automatically handed to patrons along with all other menus, which I really like, as it makes a change from having to ask specifically to see a vegan/vegetarian menu.

We ordered a bread selection with tapenade & hummus starter to share plus two Sea Veg & Chips mains. Absolutely delicious food. We loved the main dishes which were served with vegan chunky chips, mushy peas, tartare sauce and a wedge of lemon. Such a novel and brilliant idea to tempura veg with kelp and batter. A really enjoyable, flavoursome, indulgent and satisfying meal.

As well as a dedicated vegan menu there are also quite a few vegetarian options on the A La Carte menu. Although I've visited Cloth Ear a couple of times previously, enjoyed it and rated it 4 stars - my most recent visit and the stunning Vegan menu deserves a full 5 star rating (which I would give if I could on Happy Cow). I wish there were more menus like this offered throughout Belfast.

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cloth Ear closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.