The Clever Rabbit

Contact 780-455-4550

10722 124 St NW, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5M 0H1

Vegan restaurant offering mostly lunch food; the only non-vegan items is dairy milk offered for coffee. Offerings might include curried lentils and rice, walnut chickpea burgers, vegan donairs and TVP tacos, plus salad, fresh salsa and chips, vegan doughnuts, muffins, cupcakes, cakes, and a different vegan soup each day. Open Tue-Wed 11:00am-7:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:00am-9:30pm, Sat 10:00am-7:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Bakery, Canadian

First Review by Annabel09

Love this place! :) - Edit

I've been here several times as the location is great and I like their food. The atmosphere is cute too. :) Try their bacon which is made of seitan -so yummy!!! I like their (chickpea burger I think it was?) -it is the first burger on their menu. It dies fall apart but I don't mind. :) The first time I ordered it, it seemed to come out with a home made bun which was delicous! I'm not sure if all their breads are home made?
Their tofu scramble for breakfast is yummy.
I had their burrito on their Easter Special menu and I reeeeally hope that goes onto their main menu!!!! So good!
For sweets I love their cinnamon buns (I usually get it without topping so isn't as sweet) and they had a donut with coconut on top once which was also very tasty! The other desserts I've tried so far were too sweet in my opinion.

Service: I'm often here on weekends and it always seems to be the same male waiter. He is very friendly and knowledgeable. Depending on how busy it is, it can take awhile to be served or get your food but I think that is just due to low staff. I've always enjoyed my food here. :)

Pricing: proving seems to be average to most vegan places in Edmonton. Roughly $15 for a plate. Their (smoothies?) are a bit pricy at $7 but was still tasty. :)

Pros: Great food, Knowledgeable staff, Cute decor!

Cons: Bit under-staffed

Great Food, but Slow Service - Edit

I LOVE the Clever Rabbit. Every time I'm in Edmonton, I make sure to stop there. Their set menu is quite good, but their peanut butter banana stuffed French toast is to die for! The only issue I have is that the service isn't the greatest. Often times, I've noticed that the only server will disappear into the back for fifteen minutes on end, only to pop his head out, check for new customers, then disappear again. If you need something, or there's something wrong with your dish, you're stuck waiting for quite a while. One time, my husband and I waited about half an hour for two orders of French toast, and when it was finally brought out, mine was burnt, and they didn't even apologize for it. All in all, the food is amazing, but the service leaves something to be desired.

Pros: All vegan, Great food

Cons: Poor service

Fantastic - Wish it was vegan - Edit

I've had the crispy chicken burger, the donair, and the steak sandwich all of which were great. Unfortunately, they have dairy options for cheese and milk. Those could both EASILY be eliminated and then they would be cruelty free. Hope to see them become a vegan restaurant.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Hours of operation, Not vegan, Limited seating

Great cinnamon buns... The rest.... - Edit

I have been to Clever Rabbit many times, whoch says as much about Edmontons vegan options as it does Clever Rabbit. I like it. The food is OK. Every once in awhile i get something there, like a soup, that is more than OK, but usually, its just OK. I like, but dont love, their chicken salad sandwich. I have tried, without success, several other menu items, including the donair, chicken. Burger, curry an steak sandwich. All are fine. None stand out. Why do I return? Because their cinnamon buns are freaking amazing, and because I cant eat out at Padmanadi with my kids every week, so once in awhile we need a change. I would give the buns six cows. They are as good as any I have ever had. If they werent here, I would stop coming. But they are, so I will be back.... Also like the nice vibe and toys books they have for kids...

Pros: Cinnamon buns!

thanksgiving!! - Edit

I came from Calgary and was happy to enjoy a wonderful Vegan Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings. Way too much food but I am sure to enjoy the leftovers later :) the apple pie was the perfect dessert. Easily the best pie I've ever had!

Pros: fun decor, great service, great value

They have some issues! - Edit

I WANT and NEED The Clever Rabbit to be a fantastic eatery!
As a vegan, there are limited places for us, so of course when one discovers such a place, you want to give them your full support. I am a forgiving diner. If I have one bad experience, it does not mean I will not try the place again. so, that is what we are ATTEMPTING to do. We have tried, today, and in the past, to make a pick up order. They do not answer the phone, and they do in fact offer this service, and we are calling during their posted hours. Very, very big let down. If you have diners who are there for you, forgiving and supportive, you need to return the sentiments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 31, 2014

Pros: Baked goods, Can hang out with animals next door!!, Decor

Cons: Do not operate business well, Staff seemed depressed when we dined in

Vegan Baked Goods - Edit

All of their baked goods are vegan. I bought the cinnamon bun with icing and the cinnamon bun without icing, the grape-flavoured cookies with green icing (best idea ever!), the chocolate chip cookie, and the vanilla donut. They were all good. The donut is a cake donut, but I like cake, so I liked it. The cinnamon bun with icing was really good heated up. Nice and gooey. I haven't tried the chocolate chip cookie yet. The pet food store next door sells v-dog vegan dog food and breathbones. The staff was nice.

Best French Toast in the City - Edit

Everything here tastes home made. And it is decently priced. And it is connected to an awesome pet shop/bakery.

Not to mention that they have french toast stuffed with fruit. It is soo good, and always cooked to perfection.

Pros: Comfortable, Affordable, Tasty

Disappointed - Edit

I was excited to go but it was quickly diminished by the lousy service and the animal hair (especially near the counter at the till). I was sorry that I had ordered food and couldn't eat it because I wondered about the cleanliness of the kitchen because they didn't obviously care about the cleanliness of the restaurant. (The restaurant is attached to a pet store/rescue adoption and they make dog treat I believe.) The food couldn't possibly be good enough to stop wondering if I had to share the plate with an animal or if they had washed up after touching the animals. I love animals enough not to eat them but I don't want them near my food especially in a restaurant. I won't eat there again or recommend it.

Cons: dirty, grumpy staff, dirty

Good but sometimes bad. - Edit

Try the chickpea burger! Its superb. I tried the curry and it was crazy bland and my friends said they weren't impressed with some of the other items but all have an excellent price and you definitely need to try it. The pastries are wicked good and the staff was nice.

Pros: Good Prices, Excellent Pasties, Amazing Burger

Cons: Some Bland Items, Vegan but not always healthy

Just OK - Edit

I was so pumped when Clever Rabbit opened. I tried their vegan donair, but the sauce was so sweet it was kind of revolting, I might try it again and ask them for the vegan sour cream instead. The TVP tacos are overloaded with too much TVP and need more veggies. The salsa is extremely bland and crying out for a pinch of salt! On the other hand, the desserts such as the vegan donuts are absolutely mindblowing! They were so delicious. I would go back to Clever Rabbit for coffee and treats, but probably wouldn't have the lunch food again.

Pros: good location, awesome desserts, donuts!

Cons: bad lunch food

Vegan donuts! - Edit

This place had me sold on vegan donuts! I go there quite frequently and buy one of each type of baking they have that day. I am never, ever disappointed. Worth every inexpensive penny.

I find their food a little a little plain though. The donair was pretty tasty but when I ordered the chickpea burger I felt like my food was squishy. Wasn't super stoked. However the baking making up for this.

The people working are all super sweet and their is a pet bakery next door owned by the same people so there is always adorable animals to see through the window they share.

Pros: Awesome vegan baking, Vegan donairs, Nice people

Cons: Food a little plain, Short hours

Excellent addition to Edmonton - Edit

Nice decor - lots of painting of animals. Had walnut/chickpea burger, soup and vegan doughnuts! All excellent although would have preferred wholemeal bun to white bun. Considering how new it is they are doing a great job! An excellent addition to Edmonton veggie places to eat.

Pros: Good value, Vegan doughnuts - just like Mighty Os

Cons: Limited choice, Not currently open in evenings

Walnut Chickpea Burger - Edit

I have been once, need to go back, cause it was awesome! I had the walnut chickpea burger, I loved it! It's nightshade free :) Had the side salad with it, I thought it complemented it well. My non-veg friend came and had the donair w/ side salad. She was also impressed by her food! I love the decor of this little place and think it will be one of my new summer hang outs while I walk 124st and shop!

Pros: Healthy Cuisine, Knowledgeable Staff, Excellent Food

Yummy! - Edit

Vegan doughnuts, awesome. Vegan carrot cake, awesome. Vegan cinnamon buns, awesome. Vegan Donairs, awesome. Tofu Scramble, awesome. Vegan egg on biscuits, awesome. Side salad, not so great. Walnut chickpea burger, not so great.
Different specials every week are very appealing, not all the menu items are perfect but I have seriously LOVED mostly all the food here!

Pros: Adorable restaurant, fantastic food, fantastic service

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Clever Rabbit closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6124 times since Mar 2012.