The Chicago Diner - Logan Square

Contact 773-252-3211

2333 N Milwaukee Ave (at Logan Square), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60647

Opened fall-2012, this is the second location of the long-time operating, popular vegetarian restaurant in Chicago. Serves American comfort food. Open Mon-Thu 10:00am-10:00pm, Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by SynthVegan

Overhyped, or just an OFF day? - Edit

The food is like if someone was too lazy to microwave their own Morningstar and Amy's so they came and payed double for a restaurant to do it for them. The mac and cheeze is literally Amy's brand, you can tell the flavor straight away if you've ever had it. The seitan wings were great in texture and size, but it was ruined by the sauce that was so plain and unbearably sweet. Instantly made me think of Morningstar Riblets, it just had to be the same sauce. Everything me and my date had was just okay, not fantastic. Our entrees were overpriced for something we could've done ourselves, it just didn't feel homemade or justified.

We came on an extremely busy day and had to yell to hear each other talk. There was also music being blasted on top of that. The booths are set up so you have to awkwardly sit very close next to other customers which I didn't like. I can't blame them for the noise, but seating should be improved.

The only reason I'd come back is for the milkshakes, and yes, they do taste award winning. The food was a turn off and it makes me reluctant to give them another try. I'm hoping it was just an off day and they really hold up to rave reviewers.

Pros: Award Winning Milkshakes

Cons: Food didn't taste homemade, but it was edible., Awkward Seating

great place! - Edit

great atmosphere. good service. reasonable prices. love this place! everytime we're in chicago, this is a must stop for us! so many options... apps, main dishes,deserts, ice cream even!!! not one complaint here!!

Delicious comfort food - Edit

This is my go-to vegan restaurant, and while they have some healthy options, I love their junk food! Favorites are their seitan wings + ranch, country fried steak (amazing!), and Straight Up Veggie sandwich (avocado, cheeze, lettuce, tomato, sprouts). I've tried a few things here that weren't great--especially the dishes that have liquid cheeze, such as the poutine, nachos, and mac & cheeze, since their recipe just isn't my cup of tea.

And, of course, they have great milkshakes (though I think Pick Me Up's are better). Overall, this place is terrific. Also, their staff are usually really nice.

Pros: Delicious junk food, Good beer selection, Nice staff

Nice ambience - Edit

Same amazing vegan milkshakes in a nicer ambience than the other branch (even though the other branch is in a cooler neighborhood).
Lots of wheat but try the vegan chocolate peanut butter milk shake! Delicious!

Best vegan food I have had in awhile!!!! - Edit

Ok, so the wait was crazy. Maybe more than an hour in the freezing cold. I got a titanic burger and fries. The portions were huge! My partner got the country fried steak. Huge!! I loved everything. I ate it all! I even finished off a cookie dough milkshake. The best. Worth the wait. Worth every penny. btw it was valentine's day. And I understood why everyone took their sweetie here.

Pros: the best food- even milkshakes!, not too expensive for the quality, big portions!

Cons: maybe the wait, but honestly I don't car, e to wait for great food.

Too much daiya, but great experience - Edit

I am not a big fan of daiya cheese, and it appeared quite often on the menu. Overall, the food was rather tasty, the atmosphere was enjoyable, and the cocktails were tasty. Shakes were great!

Pros: Vegan Shakes, Atmosphere, Cocktails

Cons: Daiya cheese

Good place for food and drink - Edit

I found myself here a couple of times during my stay in Chicago. The staff is friendly, and super accommodating even if you dine alone. I really liked that the menu has something to offer for however you feel. So you'll find some seasonal dishes, some fresher dishes, and of course some comfort food. I really enjoyed the avocado tostadas, and the radical reuben might have been the best vegan reuben I've ever had!

I wish I could have sampled more of their dishes, or would have made it to their brunch. Next time, it all definitely sounds interesting enough to be back. They're also famous for their vegan milkshakes, which I'll also have to try next time.

They also do a range of cocktails, and have some craft beers on tap!

Pros: Diverse menu, Friendly staff

Nice place for a veggie date! - Edit

My husband and I went here for a date night a few weeks back. Although it was Friday night and the shop was pretty busy, but we arrived early enough to be seated right away.

We started off the dinner with Thai Chili Wings. They were a bit tough but the sauce was amazing. Really tasty!

I ordered the Titanic BLT Burger with Cheeze... I enjoyed every bite of it. With it I had the sweet potato fries-- also yum.

My husband ordered the Mole Tamales, forgetting that he has never liked the taste of mole sauce... I thought it tasted fine, but he wasn't into it.

All in all, I really enjoyed the place and I'll definitely go back if I can convince my husband!

Pros: Good portions, Reasonable prices, close to blue line station

Cons: Noisy

Vegan delight! - Edit

This restaurant offers a plethora of great selections on its vegan menu. I was pleased to see that there is something for everyone on this menu! As I have not had a reuben since I went vegetarian over 35 years ago, I had to try the reuben! I was delighted with the appearance and the tastiness of my sandwich! It was very good and very filling. This restaurant is going on my travel favorites list!

food was not good - Edit

I was really excited to try this place based on its rave reviews. I also had 3 carnivores with me who are skeptical of veg food, and I wanted to open their eyes. The bbq seitan was extremely tough. My portobello truffle sandwich was bland, almost bitter. My guests were equally unimpressed (Thai stir-fry, tostadas and fried chicken sandwich). I've eaten at amazing veg places before and unfortunately this was not one.

I'm pretty sure I died and this is vegan heaven - Edit

Wow! Let me start by saying I was worried after thinking about coming here for so long it was overhyped in my mind-NOPE! This was my best vegan dining experience to date. I was pleasantly surprised by how great the food and the service were. My only problem was wanting one of everything and eating too much. We had the nachos to start-OMG! I have never found a vegan cheese I actually liked til now. It was a huge plate and it could have been lunch. It was devoured and I was licking my fingers. We also had the Reuben and the smoked tofu club. I loved the club-great flavor. Hubs liked the Reuben (non vegan and hard to please with the faux meats-liking it is high praise from him.) . The peanut butter puck was delicious-I highly recommend adding the ice cream. Wow!! I'll be back to try other items-already have the next date planned. I'll be the one in the stretchy pants. PS the beer menu also rocks and the staff are all very friendly and know their stuff!!

Not disappointed - Edit

I was looking forward to our visit at The Chicago Diner after reading about it and seeing pictures, especially as I've never been able to eat an American Diner before.

We were not disappointed with our choices. Portions are large - most guests seemed to be taking a leftover box.

Milkshakes are SO good (we had the salted caramel shake)

Always Tasty - Edit

I recently took the train from O'Hare during a long layover to the Logan Square area just to eat at the Chicago Diner's second location. You can always count on a tasty meal and great service at either of their locations. You can't go wrong with the Chicago Diner!

Pros: Consistently good food and service

Cons: Very few gluten-free desserts

Contributions +55

Always Tasty - Edit

Pros: Consistently good food and service

Cons: Very few gluten-free desserts

Great Diner Food for Vegans - Edit

If you're vegan and crave traditional diner food, Chicago Diner is hard to beat. It's actually pretty thrilling to come into a diner and find an almost-all vegan menu!

Based solely on my visit, I think the best strategy at Chicago Diner is to order the menu items that would be standard diner food - my meat eating friends ordered reubens and veggie burgers, and they happily gobbled them down. I ordered the chile relleno, and while it was good, I got the sense it wasn't the strongest dish on the menu. From what I saw, I will definitely order a reuben next time!

If you are so inclined, the beer list at Chicago Diner is a fun one, and having Revolution a few doors down makes for a lot of good beer in one night!

Pros: Tons of Vegan Food! , Atmosphere

Chicago Diner - Edit

This place is amazing! Don't fool yourself by thinking you're going here to be healthy. Go here when you want unique and delicious comfort food in a variety of options. I live dangerously close to this location, and although I've been going for about a year, I have yet to put a dent into the menu (there are just too many favorites to deter myself away yet!)

I love so many things, but the spicy crispy chicken sandwich is my absolute favorite. I personally am not a fan of the reuben that everyone raves about, but that's just me.

Other notable contenders are the nachos, thai basil stir-fry, mexicana bowl, shakes, and the specials are always spot on. I also love being able to order a chai latte that's vegan down to it's delicious whipped topping.

The service has always been great and I happen to always get a seat, even for brunch, without waiting long (with groups up to 4). Great ambiance and friendly staff.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 19, 2015

Pros: mostly vegan, brunch, friendly staff

Cons: too many options!

Contributions +21

Chicago Diner - Edit

This place is amazing! Don't full yourself by thinking you're going here to be healthy. Go here when you want unique and delicious comfort food in a variety of options. I live dangerously close to this location, and although I've been going for about a year, I have yet to put a dent into the menu (there are just too many favorites to deter myself away yet!)

Pros: mostly vegan, brunch, friendly staff

Cons: too many options!

Great - Edit

We ate here twice during a recent trip to Chicago. Previously, my husband had been to the Halsted location. We loved the food here. The first time (a Thursday) the service was much better than on the weekend, when we needed to send out a search party and bloodhounds to track down our slacker (waiter).

I had a vegan Reuben on the first visit. It was awesome. My husband had the bahn mi, which was a special for the day. I found them both a bit salty, but otherwise quite delicious, hearty and filling. I got the peanut butter cup dessert (awesome).

I can't recall what we got on the second visit, because the service was so bad. Really, the second dinner was a blur, until the dessert (another peanut butter cup).

Pros: great food

Cons: inconsistent service

Absolutely Incredible - Edit

After seeing all the great reviews we had to try it out while in Chicago. We were not disappointed. The service and food was amazing. So many choices. All vegan menu with optional eggs and dairy cheese upon request. I had the best veggie burger of my life. In 13 years of being veg I have never had a better burger than the Titanic BLT with seitan bacon and avocado. Yum yum. We also had the seitan buffalo wings which were also delicious. If in Chicago you must make the trek here.

Pros: vegan, delicious, service

awesome!!! - Edit

Chicago Diner is one of my favorites. Tried this location and it did not disappoint! Started with a side salad with ranch dressing. Had the portabella truffle melt with a side of Mac and teese. All were super yummy. Wish I could have tried the avacdo tostadas-maybe next time. Wrapped up with a chocolate shake!!! I have dreams about this milkshake. Highly recommend!!!

Pros: vegan milkshakes!!! need I say more!!!

eat here! - Edit

Everything on the menu here is amazing. Completely vegan except for dairy cheese and eggs if requested. I love this location way more than the original on Halsted. This one is pretty low key and much bigger so you're not sitting on top of each other. Also has a full bar and a rotating craft beer draft selection. I've never had anything here I dislike.

Awesome place! Highly recommended. - Edit

The Chicago Diner is the polar opposite of a typical diner. Awesome ambience and decor hidden by a plain storefront, delicious food, and, if the crowd was any indication, the place to be.

We arrived a little before 1pm, and the place was packed. There was an approximately 10 minute wait for a table, so we sat at the bar to check out the menu and order a drink. My cousin and I split a large Cookie Dough Peanut Butter vegan shake. I could have and would have drank an entire shake by myself. It was to die for. The shake itself tasted like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup cereal, and it was topped with whipped cream, a couple of chocolate chips, and bits of peanut. Already this restaurant was on my good side.

They brought us the menus, which are entirely meat free, and mostly vegan, with the exception of rBST-free cheese from grain-fed cows, and hormone/antibiotic free eggs from grain-fed and cage-free chickens. If you ask to see a gluten free menu, it tells you what items are corn free and soy free as well. I ended up ordering the Mexicana plate with eggs and Daiya cheese. This dish comes with scrambled eggs or tofu topped with dairy or non-dairy cheese, black beans, Mexican-style rice, guacamole, and salsa. You can also add corn tortillas for an extra charge. When it came out it didn’t look like a lot of food, but I wasn’t able to finish the whole thing. That could have been due to the half a milkshake I devoured beforehand OR perhaps it was the fact that my first meal of the day was being eaten at 1 in the afternoon. Either way, I had no issues whatsoever with the portion size. And it was delicious! Everything was spiced perfectly, and it all went together very well.

The diner has an overwhelmingly young and attractive staff. They play great music (I heard The Beatles, Neil Diamond, and The Temptations), although it was hard to hear the music over the noise of people talking. The plain, if a little beat down storefront is completely misleading, as when you go inside you are met with brick walls, awesome art displays, and the type of decor you might expect in uptown New York (or maybe Chicago, but then, I wouldn’t know that). The food is on the pricy side, but for me, it was worth the splurge. And that is coming from someone on a pretty tight budget for this next year. Overall, I paid about $16 for my meal with the shake cost split down the middle.

Best place in town! - Edit

If you've only got time to go to one vegan place in Chicago, this is the one not to miss. Not sure we can admit how many times we went in the month we were in town!

Amazing brunches, delicious sandwiches, they specialise in comfort food done really, really well. Everything is available vegan

Really friendly staff, excellent range of beers, superb coffee, delicious (but huge) cakes & icecream- if we had any criticism it was that we ate too much every time we went!

Updated from previous review on Sunday December 01, 2013

Pros: amazing food, brunch!, very friendly

Cons: huge portions!

Just as good - Edit

After my partner's and my amazing experience at their original location the weekend before (where we had the philly cheesesteak and the breakfast bowl), I just couldn't help but keep thinking how much I'd miss out if I left without trying their award-winning vegan Reuben sandwich. So on my last day in town, I headed out to this newer location on a mission... to get the Reuben, and it was epic! So glad I did it. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of their sandwiches. I just wished I weren't alone so I could've tried more.

As for the difference between the two locations-not much besides the décor. This one is simply newer and has a bar; the original one is more throwback and has a covered patio in the back. Menus were the same.

Great as the original, and more eco-friendly! - Edit

Whenever we pass through Chicago, the Chicago Diner has always been our first destination.

The food is great, but for us the big attractions are the vegan shakes (peanut butter cookie dough is divine) and desserts.

Everything on the menu either is vegan or has a vegan option, which we really appreciate.

Servers are very friendly, helpful, and attentive, making the whole experience even nicer. :-)

We applaud them for making such efforts to be eco-friendly at the new location, including extensive use of reclaimed wood. Bravo!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 21, 2013

Pros: Mostly vegan, Great vegan desserts and shakes, Very eco-friendly :-)

Cons: It's easy (and tempting) to spend a lot!

CAN'T STOP EATING THE NACHOS - Edit

I'm not joking. I wake up thinking about them (seitan on the side for me). They also have GF vegan options, which are delicious.

Pros: NACHOS

Great Addition to Logan Square - Edit

I've been making the trek over to the original Chicago Diner for years and I have to say it has been inconsistent over the years. However recently they seemed to have returned to their roots and the quality has improved and I am happy to say this appears to be the case at their new location. Our meals were delicious and things seemed to be working smoothly after only opening a little over a month ago. I am looking forward to dropping by in the summer for their awesome shakes!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food, Super desserts

Chicago Diner - Edit

I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to eat at the new Chicago Diner location last night - it was amazing, as expected!

I was expecting this location to be reminiscent of the Boys Town location, but the decor resembled the surrounding restaurants in the area - which is a good and welcomed difference in my opinion. Mind you, the original location is 29 years old, this one is simply newer - I love them both.

Service was great for their first night, I especially give kudos to Brian who has always been a friendly and attentive server, he's been my server many times at the original location and has always been great.

Now to the important part, the food! The food was quite amazing, just as I expect from Chicago Diner. I had the nachos and BBQ Burger with vegan mac and cheese. Everything was quite amazing and my favorite was the BBQ Burger by far, it was quite tasty. I have been eating at Chicago diner for over 12 years now and will say that all of their food is amazing, so you can't order anything bad here! I highly recommend this location!!!

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Chicago Diner - Logan Square closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5116 times since Nov 2012.