The Chicago Diner - Logan Square

773-252-3211

2333 N Milwaukee Ave (at Logan Square), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60647

Opened fall-2012, this is the second location of the long-time operating, popular vegetarian restaurant in Chicago. Serves American comfort food. Open Mon-Thu 10:00am-10:00pm, Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by SynthVegan

AMAZING - Edit

My family and I just visited The Chicago Diner for my birthday. We ended up getting the sweet potato fries and the Thai chili wings as appetizers because, unfortunately, they were out of waffle fries! Both were amazing! I LOVED the dip for the wings! We got the Titanic BLT w Mac and Teese, the Portabello Truffle Melt w Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts and The Radical Reuben w Mac and Teese. Everything was SO delicious! Since I was my birthday, I got a free slice of cake and chose the Caramel Crunch Torte and it was fantastic! Very sweet and moist! Unfortunately, I didn't have room for a milkshake, but I will definitely be getting one next time I go!

Pros: amazing food , friendly staff, lots of options

Cons: tight seating area

Overhyped, or just an OFF day? - Edit

The food is like if someone was too lazy to microwave their own Morningstar and Amy's so they came and payed double for a restaurant to do it for them. The mac and cheeze is literally Amy's brand, you can tell the flavor straight away if you've ever had it. The seitan wings were great in texture and size, but it was ruined by the sauce that was so plain and unbearably sweet. Instantly made me think of Morningstar Riblets, it just had to be the same sauce. Everything me and my date had was just okay, not fantastic. Our entrees were overpriced for something we could've done ourselves, it just didn't feel homemade or justified.

We came on an extremely busy day and had to yell to hear each other talk. There was also music being blasted on top of that. The booths are set up so you have to awkwardly sit very close next to other customers which I didn't like. I can't blame them for the noise, but seating should be improved.

The only reason I'd come back is for the milkshakes, and yes, they do taste award winning. The food was a turn off and it makes me reluctant to give them another try. I'm hoping it was just an off day and they really hold up to rave reviewers.

Pros: Award Winning Milkshakes

Cons: Food didn't taste homemade, but it was edible., Awkward Seating

great place! - Edit

great atmosphere. good service. reasonable prices. love this place! everytime we're in chicago, this is a must stop for us! so many options... apps, main dishes,deserts, ice cream even!!! not one complaint here!!

Delicious comfort food - Edit

This is my go-to vegan restaurant, and while they have some healthy options, I love their junk food! Favorites are their seitan wings + ranch, country fried steak (amazing!), and Straight Up Veggie sandwich (avocado, cheeze, lettuce, tomato, sprouts). I've tried a few things here that weren't great--especially the dishes that have liquid cheeze, such as the poutine, nachos, and mac & cheeze, since their recipe just isn't my cup of tea.

And, of course, they have great milkshakes (though I think Pick Me Up's are better). Overall, this place is terrific. Also, their staff are usually really nice.

Pros: Delicious junk food, Good beer selection, Nice staff

Nice ambience - Edit

Same amazing vegan milkshakes in a nicer ambience than the other branch (even though the other branch is in a cooler neighborhood).
Lots of wheat but try the vegan chocolate peanut butter milk shake! Delicious!

Best vegan food I have had in awhile!!!! - Edit

Ok, so the wait was crazy. Maybe more than an hour in the freezing cold. I got a titanic burger and fries. The portions were huge! My partner got the country fried steak. Huge!! I loved everything. I ate it all! I even finished off a cookie dough milkshake. The best. Worth the wait. Worth every penny. btw it was valentine's day. And I understood why everyone took their sweetie here.

Pros: the best food- even milkshakes!, not too expensive for the quality, big portions!

Cons: maybe the wait, but honestly I don't car, e to wait for great food.

Too much daiya, but great experience - Edit

I am not a big fan of daiya cheese, and it appeared quite often on the menu. Overall, the food was rather tasty, the atmosphere was enjoyable, and the cocktails were tasty. Shakes were great!

Pros: Vegan Shakes, Atmosphere, Cocktails

Cons: Daiya cheese

Good place for food and drink - Edit

I found myself here a couple of times during my stay in Chicago. The staff is friendly, and super accommodating even if you dine alone. I really liked that the menu has something to offer for however you feel. So you'll find some seasonal dishes, some fresher dishes, and of course some comfort food. I really enjoyed the avocado tostadas, and the radical reuben might have been the best vegan reuben I've ever had!

I wish I could have sampled more of their dishes, or would have made it to their brunch. Next time, it all definitely sounds interesting enough to be back. They're also famous for their vegan milkshakes, which I'll also have to try next time.

They also do a range of cocktails, and have some craft beers on tap!

Pros: Diverse menu, Friendly staff

Nice place for a veggie date! - Edit

My husband and I went here for a date night a few weeks back. Although it was Friday night and the shop was pretty busy, but we arrived early enough to be seated right away.

We started off the dinner with Thai Chili Wings. They were a bit tough but the sauce was amazing. Really tasty!

I ordered the Titanic BLT Burger with Cheeze... I enjoyed every bite of it. With it I had the sweet potato fries-- also yum.

My husband ordered the Mole Tamales, forgetting that he has never liked the taste of mole sauce... I thought it tasted fine, but he wasn't into it.

All in all, I really enjoyed the place and I'll definitely go back if I can convince my husband!

Pros: Good portions, Reasonable prices, close to blue line station

Cons: Noisy

Vegan delight! - Edit

This restaurant offers a plethora of great selections on its vegan menu. I was pleased to see that there is something for everyone on this menu! As I have not had a reuben since I went vegetarian over 35 years ago, I had to try the reuben! I was delighted with the appearance and the tastiness of my sandwich! It was very good and very filling. This restaurant is going on my travel favorites list!

food was not good - Edit

I was really excited to try this place based on its rave reviews. I also had 3 carnivores with me who are skeptical of veg food, and I wanted to open their eyes. The bbq seitan was extremely tough. My portobello truffle sandwich was bland, almost bitter. My guests were equally unimpressed (Thai stir-fry, tostadas and fried chicken sandwich). I've eaten at amazing veg places before and unfortunately this was not one.

I'm pretty sure I died and this is vegan heaven - Edit

Wow! Let me start by saying I was worried after thinking about coming here for so long it was overhyped in my mind-NOPE! This was my best vegan dining experience to date. I was pleasantly surprised by how great the food and the service were. My only problem was wanting one of everything and eating too much. We had the nachos to start-OMG! I have never found a vegan cheese I actually liked til now. It was a huge plate and it could have been lunch. It was devoured and I was licking my fingers. We also had the Reuben and the smoked tofu club. I loved the club-great flavor. Hubs liked the Reuben (non vegan and hard to please with the faux meats-liking it is high praise from him.) . The peanut butter puck was delicious-I highly recommend adding the ice cream. Wow!! I'll be back to try other items-already have the next date planned. I'll be the one in the stretchy pants. PS the beer menu also rocks and the staff are all very friendly and know their stuff!!

Not disappointed - Edit

I was looking forward to our visit at The Chicago Diner after reading about it and seeing pictures, especially as I've never been able to eat an American Diner before.

We were not disappointed with our choices. Portions are large - most guests seemed to be taking a leftover box.

Milkshakes are SO good (we had the salted caramel shake)

Always Tasty - Edit

I recently took the train from O'Hare during a long layover to the Logan Square area just to eat at the Chicago Diner's second location. You can always count on a tasty meal and great service at either of their locations. You can't go wrong with the Chicago Diner!

Pros: Consistently good food and service

Cons: Very few gluten-free desserts

Contributions +55

Always Tasty - Edit

Pros: Consistently good food and service

Cons: Very few gluten-free desserts

Great Diner Food for Vegans - Edit

If you're vegan and crave traditional diner food, Chicago Diner is hard to beat. It's actually pretty thrilling to come into a diner and find an almost-all vegan menu!

Based solely on my visit, I think the best strategy at Chicago Diner is to order the menu items that would be standard diner food - my meat eating friends ordered reubens and veggie burgers, and they happily gobbled them down. I ordered the chile relleno, and while it was good, I got the sense it wasn't the strongest dish on the menu. From what I saw, I will definitely order a reuben next time!

If you are so inclined, the beer list at Chicago Diner is a fun one, and having Revolution a few doors down makes for a lot of good beer in one night!

Pros: Tons of Vegan Food! , Atmosphere

the best veg comfort food, ever! - Edit

When I'm craving a warm, comfort food type meal, this is where I go! Even meat lovers will be happy here!

great place - Edit

Great the vibe, friendly staff, a ton to chose from, and yummy food...what's not to love!

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Chicago Diner - Logan Square closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.