The Cheeze Factory Restaurant

• Friend
  • Vegan
Contact 608-253-6065

521 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy S, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, USA, 53965

For families craving healthier food and a respite from chain restaurants, this vegan restaurant provides lunch and dinner in a well-lit, converted old cheese factory building surrounded by lush summer gardens. Re-opened Dec 2013 with an exclusively vegan, non-gmo menu with from-scratch meals, a kids menu, bakery desserts, and cappuccino served at an old-fashioned soda fountain. Location is 1 mile off I90/94, exit 92N or 89N, down the street from Tanger Mall, Great Wolfe Lodge, Mt. Olympus, and Wilderness Resort.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Catering

First Review by sim_conners

A diamond in the rough - Edit

In the center of Wisconsin's own tinsel town/cholesterol haven, this wonderful homey restaurant sits proudly. You'd never guess; no special V signage; it just stands in the mainstream! It is only 10min off of the highway, plenty of parking, and a no-worry menu. There is a jukebox in the corner (playing easy listening 1950s sing-along tunes), a nice sitting area with sofas(for waiting, maybe...not crowded when we went), a sit-at-counter as well as table and booth and indoor patio seating. Womens' bathroom very nicely maintained. Overall sense of clean, tidy, proud of their restaurant.

We had the Deli-icious sandwiches, a side of sweet potatoes, the banana crunch cake and the key lime pie. Sandwiches were full of flavor, nothing gourmet, but very satisfying for the vegan eater who enjoys a robust sandwich now and again. The sweet potatoes were ok...too much "pumpkin pie"-type seasoning, but bit slabs of baked fries to accompany a sandwich. The banana crunch cake...well, superb...just superb. The maple frosting really did it. If you like banana, get it. The key lime is raw and much like a cheesecake. The lime flavor was a tad reminiscent of bottled lime juice, but otherwise tangy, slightly sweet with an awesome chewy/crunchy crust.

Pros: Atmosphere, Sandwich selections, Dessert selections

Cons: Carrot "slaw" on green salad

Loved this place! - Edit

This is a stereotypical Wisconsin cafe, but 100% vegan. It's just a short stop off the freeway and well worth the couple minutes to get there. The menu has lots of choices including an all-day brunch menu. We can vouch for the tortada, burgers, gnocchi, club sandwich, carrot cake, cheesecake, chocolate cake and hot chocolate. :-)

The only thing surprising to me was that with a name like Cheeze factory, there wasn't any homemade Cheeze. But that aside, this was a great lunch and very large portions.

The server said they might be moving to Baraboo Wisconsin in October 2015. I hope not as it would be less convenient from the freeway. But just FYI to verify if you're planning a visit.

Pros: huge selection, large portions, delicious

What to order?!?! - Edit

Everything! There is not one bad dish at this restaurant. The staff is friendly, the food divine, and don't get me started on the deserts. They are a specialty and you would think you're eating something bad-it's sooo good, but it's all healthy and fresh!

best part of the dells - Edit

This place is simply amazing! My husband and I have been here multiple times and everything is delicious! Even their lattes are delicious. We brought my mom here who is not a vegan and even she loved it and wants to come back! Everything is simply amazing!

Pros: delicious food , comfy atmosphere , friendly staff

Love this place - Edit

My parents recently passed away and lived about 30 miles north of them in Adams.

When visiting them I always made it a point to eat here.

Loved the food, great service and prices. Really neat place. Wish they had a location by me in Milwaukee WI.

Pros: Great Service, Great Menu, Low Prices

Cons: It's far from where I live

My favorite local restaurant! - Edit

I have been eating at this restaurant for years. It was vegetarian but closed and reopened and is now vegan and GMO free. The food is sooo yummy! My faves? The southwest platter, sicilian scramble, pesto portabella mushroom sandwhich and The Big Salad!! Oh and for dessert ? the Glorious chocolate cake! So yummy! My husband and 3 yearold eat there almost every weekend!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good portions, creative dishes, high quality

Cons: NA

Creative menu, excellent dessert! - Edit

Like others have said, I was thrilled to find an all vegan restaurant in the middle of the WI dells! We stopped here for lunch as we were passing through the area and I'm so glad we did- the menu was huge and had a ton of different interesting looking options (from all day brunch to spaghetti & "meat"balls to "fish" and chips), and the DESSERT. You know those rotating dessert cases they have in all diner-y type restaurants? They had that here, and the desserts were ALL VEGAN. I was so overwhelmed with choices, it was amazing! We ended up going with the caramel crunch cake, which was delicious, but I was also super tempted by the carrot cake and the chocolate chip cheesecake, so we will have to go back :-). We also had the chickpea chili with grilled flatbread, which was awesome with curry-like spices, pumpkin soup which was the soup of the day, a "tuna" salad sandwich, and the southwestern plate- all were good, but the chickpea chili I would definitely order again! My husband also got an iced almond milk chai latte to go, which was also great. My only suggestion to them would be that it would be great if they had either a separate lunch menu or lunch options, eg soup and half sandwich- they do have a "small plate" section but the entrees were huge! Stop here if you're in the area, you'll be glad you did!

Pros: Creative menu, cute place & friendly staff, HUGE dessert selection!

Cons: Lunch portion option would be great

DELICIOUS EVERYTHING - Edit

I went with my mom, 10 month old daughter, 4 year old son and my mom! We all loved EVERYTHING we had! I ordered the Chimichanga - a dish totally unique to this restaurant. It was equally sweet and savory, and even though it was a whopping $14, I was so glad I ordered it because it was delicious - and I was able to feed my 10 month old the insides which were cooked soft enough for her gumming and wasn't too overly seasoned for her sensitive pallet and age.

My son ordered the chocolate chip cheesecake - if you like cheesecake... PERFECT! (Though it wasn't quite as good leftover the next morning I must say.) And for the first time in I don't know how long he at ALL of his veggie nuggets, and they were tender and flavorful too!

My mom ordered the "fishc and chips", the portion size wasn't much (there were more fries than the 2 small pieces of "fish")', but she actually thought she had eaten REAL FISH! It wasn't until we were ordering dessert that she said "well I had fish" and I was like "no mom, it's ALL vegan!" She was like, "oh, I guess it really WAS good then!"

So yes, highly recommended! I would NEVER go to the Dells without a repeat visit... NEVER! The music, atmosphere, kindness and thoroughness of the waiters as well was all superb! Has the wonderful atmosphere of a multi-cultural old-school diner. Ever in the Dells, this place is a MUST... JUST LOVELY!

Pros: Unique one-of-a-kind dishes, Scrumptious food and dessert, Wonderful music

Cons: $8 dishes are small servings, Larger portion dishes are a bit pricey

A Great Vegan & Non-GMO Restaurant - Edit

We were very happy to find out that they revamped their menu to be 100% vegan and non-GMO. The food came out fast, they were very friendly and it was all delicious. Their desserts are SO fantastic- we shared a mandarin key lime ice cream soda and slice of caramel crunch cake. Prices are a bit on the higher side but you get a lot of food. The tropical chimichanga is enough for two people to share.

Pros: non-gmo, fast service, friendly Staff

So happy to have found The Cheese Factory! - Edit

I couldn't convince my family to stop here for lunch, but I did order takeout. All of my family members sampled the food and agreed that we should have went here! I ordered the Malaysian Coconut Noodles and the vegan chocolate cupcake. YUM!

Food is so good homemade taste - Edit

The food was wonderful.Black bean burrito,and three mushroom stroganoff was truly delightful. The service is very good and very prompt, just a little weird..... as in stoic or robotic but friendly. Will definitely go again.

Pros: great food, ok prices, prompt service

Cons: "freeky" service

My favorite restaurant - Edit

This is my favorite restaurant. The food here is all homemade and delicious. I have not yet had a bad meal. The food is fresh and you can tell it was just made. The desserts have sugar in them which is disappointing because I heard they are great. The workers there are some of the frienliest people you will meet. They have a whole menu just for vegans so there is no trouble in finding something to eat.

Pros: great food, great service, good location

You won't be disappointed - Edit

We live in Northwest Indiana and often travel to Eau Claire, WI. We plan our trip based on when The Cheese Factory is open so we don't miss dining there. The restaurant used to be a cheese factory, hence the name, but the entire menu is vegetarian/vegan. The ambiance is superb.
This restaurant is fantastic. The food isn't your every day run of the mill vegetarian fare. You can taste the care and creativity that goes into the menu.
The wait staff is always friendly and it's worth it to make the trip in the summer just to see the gardens.
If you are vegetarian/vegan, don't miss this restaurant. This is a favorite of all of my non-vegetarian family members as well. It's that good. This is one of my top two favorite vegetarian restaurants in the United States. I have never been disappointed with my meal.

Pros: excellent food, good variety, friendly staff

Excellent food - Edit

I enjoyed everything about my visit to this restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was friendly. What more do you want?

It is a casual environment and the prices are reasonable. There are choices for many different types of cuisine and a separate vegan menu is available.

Pros: delicious food, friendly, reasonable prices

Surprise!! Middle-of-Nowhere WI Vegan Goodness!!! - Edit

WOW! I couldn't believe there was a fully Vegetarian restaurant in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin - they even have a huge separate Vegan menu! Had this place not been suggested to me by a fellow Vegan I may have not stopped here on my way home - the name Cheese Factory, as a Vegan, sounded opposite of my diet; wow was I wrong!!!

My counterpart and I stopped here for lunch yesterday and found this to be a neat little restaurant, cozy, decorated well with Wisconsin feel, and had very friendly employees. Someone mentioned cult/religious stuff...nothing was in your face or anything, there may have been a book or two by the cookbook display at the register, but who really cares - I'd sell whatever I want at a restaurant I owned.

Too bad I wasn't starving because I just got the Romesco Potatoes (holy goodness!!!) and my counterpart got The Big Cheese (sadly he's not fully Vegan) - you should have seen the look on his face when eating this, we may have to go out of our way to eat here again!

This place is definitely a find and I recommend anyone passing through to stop here; it's conveniently located just off of the interstate!

Quite a find! - Edit

I didn't expect to find any vegan food in the Wisconsin Dells and figured I would starve there. But this place had a large vegan menu! It was great food too. The staff was nice and the food was fabulous. The atmosphere was fun too. I highly recommend this place.

Pros: Large vegan menu, tasty food, friendly staff

Cons: none

Cult food is delicious, apparently - Edit

This place has great vegetarian food but I have a hard time bringing my fiancé here because he's creeped out by the fact that it's run by a cult. The waitstaff always has a weird stoic demeanor and they have pamphlets and DVDs advertising their cult at the registers.

Pros: Vegetarian, Good food, Eclectic

Cons: Cult-run, A little creepy, Odd atmosphere

Taste the love - Edit

My wife and I ate here just about every day on our honeymoon. The food is so well prepared. You can taste the care and attention they put into every dish. And very creative and delicious combinations and creations. Their thai bananas appetizer was scrumptious. If you're in the Dells, don't miss it!

Pros: Delicious, Caring and courteous staff, Generous portions

Cons: Can't think of any. Seriously.

Return to Wisconsin Dells Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Cheeze Factory Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6633 times since Aug 2007.