The Castle Inn

+44-1756796304

Mill Bridge, Skipton, England, BD23 1NJ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional English pub in the oldest part of Skipton by the castle. Has had a vegan menu since Jan 2017 after taking part in Veganuary. Dishes include falafel and 'pulled pork' burger, mushroom and hazelnut stew, Senegalese curry, mushroom pate, soup of the day, moussaka, broccoli & butternut squash quiche, beetroot risotto with cashew cheese, beetroot, mushroom & puy lentil wellington, mississippi mud pie, blueberry cheesecake, salted caramel & chocolate tart and black forest gateau. Also has vegan beers and wines. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, British, European, Non-veg

First Review by Veganolive1

Great pub - Edit

I really enjoyed coming here for dinner. The vegan menu is great, more interesting than the usual menu which is rare! My young daughter and I had the tofish and chips which was delicious if a bit too greasy for me and the falafel starter. Service was great, the bar lady knew which beers were vegan. I'd definitely go again.

Pros: vegan menu, good service, nice atmosphere

Proper pub food...but vegan. Fantastic - Edit

A proper pub that's embraced vegan needs and created five or six fantastic vegan options alongside the usual (but very good) pub meals. None of your usual vegan cop-outs either. Instead, clever creations of pub favourites.

We ate mushroom wellington with great (plain) vegetables and delicious meat-less gravy. The star, though, was the fish and chips (using tofu and seaweed and fab batter) alongside delicious chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce. Better than a lot of fishy fish and chips.

All puddings were vegetarian and four of the six were vegan (don't ask me how they do salted caramel tart and Black Forest gateau without dairy or eggs!!)

Having found a poster on the mantelpiece actually promoting going vegan for health, animal welfare and environmental reasons, we asked the owner/manager why they were doing this. He told us that his chef was vegan and had asked to do a test menu for Veganuary. It was a huge success and brought in more business to the pub, because a family (with an annoying vegan) could all enjoy a meal together in a 'normal' pub.

There's a thought for restaurant and pub owners everywhere. Trouble is, you also have to get the cooking right...which is the advantage the Castle Inn has. All credit to them. We'll be back.

Pros: A real change from vegan option cop-outs, Great food, Lovely staff and atmosphere

Pub. Vegan food. Dogs welcome. Result! - Edit

Perfect idea of a vegan friendly pub, that’s also dog friendly (Our dog even got her own mat and bowl of treats next to our table).

Pros: Separate Vegan menu. Great choice., Great deserts., Friendly staff

Cons: If I had to think of one - service a tad slow.

Great portion sizes - Edit

Was not expecting a portion as big as I got. Made it well worth the journey and price tag. We got tofish and the falafel and pulled pork burger. Couldn't finish it it was that big.

Only complaint is the tofish was a bit too oily in the batter, but nonetheless really good.

Pros: Plenty of options, Big portions, Cosy atmosphere

Cons: Bit pricey , Bit too oily

Should be 5 stars! - Edit

What an excellent pub, Skipton is incredibly lucky! Excellent vegan menu, with a wide range of options. My partner and I had the falafel & pulled 'pork' burger and tofish & chips respectively. We were in utter heaven as the both dishes were well executed, delicous and generous in portion. Service was quick and efficient, and we also couldn't resist having pudding to round off our meal. We had the Mississippi mud pie and caramel tart and O.M.G both were exceptional. You would have no idea they were vegan and were so delicious. Our non-vegan dining partners looked so envious of our meals! Can't wait to return and sample more of the vegan menu - an absolute gem.

Pros: Large vegan menu, Reasonably priced, High quality

Cons: Best to book in advance

King of the Castle! - Edit

I’ve heard lots about ‘Skipton’s first vegan friendly pub’, so there was no doubt I was going to visit when I was in the area. For a start, the premises are gorgeous, beautifully styled, and very clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The vegan menu is integrated within the ‘normal’ menu, which is absolutely great for being inclusive, very forward thinking!

Unfortunately my 1st choice on the menu was sold out, but I’m pretty glad because that meant I got to try the legendary falafel burger. My mum ordered the mushroom and lentil wellington. They arrived, and goodness gracious the portions weren’t tight; I was a bit daunted to be honest. Both of the meals were presented wonderfully and were both delicious. Personally, I think the falafel burger was a little under seasoned, but it didn’t make it any less tasty. I had to leave the wedges because the portions were too large for me, but I guess it’s better that way than the other. They happily doggy bagged them for me to have later, I hate wasting food, I don’t think many people ask for wedges to be taken away after, but it was no problem to them.

Very reasonably priced considering the sizes of the portions, and great atmosphere, loved the interior design too!

It’s fantastic to see vegan pub grub, I’d love to visit again in the near future. If you’re in the area, make sure you visit them, it’s well worth it, also an easy place to visit with omnivores in the group!

[Rating fixed at 4 stars by the system due to it being just veg friendly, would love to give it 5 stars for the vegan menu however]

Pros: Inclusive and large vegan menu, Gorgeous location, Friendly and helpful staff

Cons: Nothing!

Cracking vegan friendly pub! - Edit

If you live in Yorkshire or are visiting, you need to check out the Castle inn!
We ate there today following various recommendations. Wow! The choice was huge and I had the Tofish and chips (including vegan tartar sauce) and my husband had the "pulled pork" & falafel burger, both of which were so tasty. I just wish I had enough room to try one of their puddings.
Will definitely be returning!!

Pros: Food, Location, Olde worlde pub

Cons: None.

fabulous! - Edit

Good old-fashioned pub with it's own totally vegan menu. Very welcoming staff, with real knowledge of vegan food. The food was delicious, couldn't fault it...we shall be here again and again.

Cons: none

maximum rating is 4stars for non-vegetarian restaurants! - Edit

I want to give this place 5 stars but because it's not a full veggie/vegan restaurant the app won't allow me!
They have a full vegan menu. A staff member who is vegan designed the menu and the staff and management are so on board with this. They are looking to make new additions to the menu and are really embracing this new initiative.
There was just so much choice and the standard of food is just excellent. I can't recommend the Mississippi mud pie enough. My omni Mum shared it with me and absolutely loved it!
If you get the chance, you should definitely give this place a go. You won't regret it. The serving sizes are HUGE too!!!

Pros: full vegan menu, excellent food, good value

Excellent Vegan Options That Are Awesome - Edit

The Castle Inn is the last place in Skipton I would expect to see a vegan menu. Joanne who works there, a vegan herself, encouraged and inspired them to take part in Veganuary.   The vegan menu has proved so successful, with its numerous creative choices, it is now a permanent fixture.

I love that the vegan menu, is proudly advertised on a board, over the fire place and each table had a copy of the menu, in so many places you have to ask for the vegan menu, as if they are ashamed of it.

I was spoiled for choice, however the falafel and pulled pork burger won my vote and my husband ordered the mushroom and hazelnut stew.   When the dishes arrived, the presentation of the burger, towering on the plate, made me realise it was a good idea to miss out starters.   The burger was really light, not heavy, stodgy or greasy, packed with jackfruit, with cashew cheese on the side, it made for one of the best burgers I have eaten.

Hubby's stew was equally well presented, with loads of mustard mash, roast potatoes and he loved the textures of the stew with the hazelnuts.  The cooking of both dishes was spot on, made to order, delicious and comforting, this is not just pub grub, its top notch food.   I left some of the bread and one onion ring (I was tempted), as I was determined that I was not missing out, on one of the awesome sounding desserts.   I have never eaten Mississippi mud pie, so my choice was easy, whilst hubby chose blueberry cheesecake.

The desserts were hearty portions, scrumptious and very moreish, but I had to admit defeat,  but a shame to leave any, it was that good.   Hubby demolished his cheesecake and nicked some of mine, but both agreed how great it was to find such awesome vegan desserts, no fruit salad or sorbet in sight.

Will we go back, you bet we will, how could you keep away with food this good.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-03

Pros: Fabulous vegan menu, Great choice of options, Vegan beers and wines

Return to Skipton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Castle Inn closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.